When you have differing tastes…

Remove this Banner Ad

I practically go to the movies by myself as most of my friends can't stand what I like. I don't do mainstream at all. Couldn't think of anything worse. I am more indie and world movies. I did go to the movies Sunday afternoon with a friend and saw Shadya the new Australian movie based on an Iranian mother and daughter going into a shelter due to her violet husband. Great movie, but we both came out liking the movie but with a different opinion.

if my wife didn't watch tv i'd probably watch a quarter of what i watch now. i'd be doing something else, but i would have also missed some tv i ended up enjoying.
our genre venn is pretty close. in fact it was her liking horror movies that confirmed to me i needed to make a move on this lady instead of hover/stalk. since going out though, we've understood others tastes more - she won't watch overly gory or horror making use of poop/fart/vomit/etc. not a problem for me. she doesn't share my like of john waters, i will never ask if she'd like to watch pink flamingos. i'm more at ease with sci-fi than her, she loves blade runner but is pickier.
we have a bit of an aversion to modern hollywood - not that i can't enjoy it, it's just boilerplate.
neither of us have an interest in superhero stuff. i think cinema sins describes it best, to paraphrase: 'go to the place, to get the thing, so you can do the thing that kills the bad guy and saves the world'. before anyone kills me, i'm happy for that stuff to exist, and in fact i enjoy reading the marvel and dc threads in here (without commenting). i also happily own a copy of howard the duck on dvd...
as for watching stuff together... my tastes are pretty wide. i'm as happy watching wank like a french character study as i am z-grade horror, which i'm a bit of a collector of. i've realised i need to own multiple blu-ray drives for each region i want to watch movies from (or invest in/firmware magic a region-free player). my wife is a michael wincott fiend - can't stream much of his work, not everything has been produced for the AU market. i would do unholy things to own virginie ledoyen's back catalogue. we're pretty happy to indulge each other there - he's an interesting actor, my fashion designer wife will scope out the clothes.

lately we tend to watch a lot of scandi-noir from stan/netflix. foreign language stuff gets a good run in our house.
i never started watching it with her but i've watched some handmaid's tale with and enjoyed how bleak a depiction of humanity can be.
we've recently watched some true crime stuff, after spending time on youtube with videos of what goes on in the interview room getting broken down.

our genre venn might overlap but she tends to favour different stuff at different times of day. when we're stuck at the point we don't know what to watch, she hands me the remote and asks me to come up with something. it always takes too long for her, i'm generally not that interested in watching anything anyway (i often gravitate toward youtube rather than chosing random movies/tv shows) so i'm only half looking, half seeing if i can subtly annoy her by dragging it out even longer or choosing ridiculous things. it's not like it makes a difference, very rarely does she watch what i suggest regardless. it's almost like she confers the honour of controlling the tv but still has ultimate ownership of what we look at. after a while i kind of grunt and say i can't be bothered and hand the remote back. she says she'll pick something, so we watch that. my main contribution to our tv habits is my acquiescence.

she goes to bed earlier than me though, generally by at least a couple of hours. this is when i'm watching what i want.

cinema is tricky, being parents of a kid we would rather not take into the movies. we both don't really like blockbuster moview, but for me the movies are an experiental thing, so long as i can at least put up with what i'm looking at i will get popcorn and coke and poke fun at what i'm seeing.
we have done cinema in shifts - one watches the movie while the other parents. we did that for 'once upon a time in hollywood' - she loves that movie, i like it enough. it's too long for my ass to stay comfortable in cinema seats.
we went to alien: covenant together. i wanted to walk about about 3/4 through but didn't. she tells me that one of her fondest memories of going to the cinema with me is listening to me sigh at that movie.

Last edited:
I never had an issue with my then bf, went out with him for over 3 years.

We never forced each other to watch movies we didnt want to, with the exception of a couple. ie. Me seeing a couple Harry Pottheads and him seeing 'He's Just not that Into You".

And I'll tell you what im sorry he came with me, I never heard the end of that crap, that he saw that film :rolleyesv1:

I practically go to the movies by myself as most of my friends can't stand what I like. I don't do mainstream at all. Couldn't think of anything worse. I am more indie and world movies. I did go to the movies Sunday afternoon with a friend and saw Shadya the new Australian movie based on an Iranian mother and daughter going into a shelter due to her violet husband. Great movie, but we both came out liking the movie but with a different opinion.
I had a similar friend. She's into Disney crap and Marvel rubbish- stuff I cannot stand. She's message me asking me if i wanted to catch a movie and 99% of the time I'd have to say no because I could not stand to go watch it.

She actually got a little pissed off at me, but wth can I do. Go ****en find someone else to go watch that shite with you and leave me out of it.

I never had an issue with my then bf, went out with him for over 3 years.

We never forced each other to watch movies we didnt want to, with the exception of a couple. ie. Me seeing a couple Harry Pottheads and him seeing 'He's Just not that Into You".

And I'll tell you what im sorry he came with me, I never heard the end of that crap, that he saw that film :rolleyesv1:
Ive only ever been a pretentious dickhead about a movie disagreement to my partner once and i realised pretty quickly that was really arrogant and stupid.

We check with each other what stuff we want to watch individually now but if i say yes and watch it i wont hold it over her that i didnt like it.

Ive only ever been a pretentious dickhead about a movie disagreement to my partner once and i realised pretty quickly that was really arrogant and stupid.

We check with each other what stuff we want to watch individually now but if i say yes and watch it i wont hold it over her that i didnt like it.
Lol what was the movie?

Upon reflection movies were never an issue- I dont see it as a big deal if I see a movie on my own. TV was probably the worse thing, cause we're both home and want to just chill watch something on television. About the only TV show we both could agree on to watch was Everybody Loves Raymond. :$

Lol what was the movie?

Upon reflection movies were never an issue- I dont see it as a big deal if I see a movie on my own. TV was probably the worse thing, cause we're both home and want to just chill watch something on television. About the only TV show we both could agree on to watch was Everybody Loves Raymond. :$
Shutter Island. To be fair i was absolutely livid as i had really high expectations and was seething leaving the cinema. I was almost waiting for someone to say something so i could rip it to shreds.

Her opinion was the popular one in the end too.

Shutter Island. To be fair i was absolutely livid as i had really high expectations and was seething leaving the cinema. I was almost waiting for someone to say something so i could rip it to shreds.

Her opinion was the popular one in the end too.
Lol, iirc my ex made me watch that on DVD.

I fell asleep with 20 mins to go, never heard the end of it..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shutter Island is brilliant.

I have a friend who has walked out early of the following movies:

Across the Spiderverse 2
Rise of the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (whatever the f**k it's called)
The Batman

And strangely enough he loved X-Men Days of Future Past, despite never ever watching an X-Men movie before. It was a fantastic movie, but it was just strange he enjoyed it.

Safe to say I won't be seeing movies with him anymore.

Rise of the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (whatever the f**k it's called)

I believe it's Return of the Beginning of the Fellowship of the Rise of the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.... Strikes Back

Walked out of "The Batman"? Geez. I thought that was pretty good (albeit perhaps unnecessary to have more Batman already).

Is Across the Spiderverse the one that came out this year with all the different Spidermen in it? If so, that's like the only superhero movie I've ever seen and I really liked it.

Ill die on this hill alone, that movie is ******* trash.
I didn’t like it either and gave it a generous 4/10. Easily the worst Scorsese film I’ve seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back