Mourning Period for when our Queen passes away.

Remove this Banner Ad

I always found it interesting that Howard, despite his reputation as a staunch monarchist, was the one to finally kill the tradition of appointing Prime Minsters and Senior Ministers to the Privy Council.

In doing so we've deliberately given ourselves less involvement in the accession of our future monarch.

Monarchs around the world have royal styles and titles, which of course hearken back to their medieval origins.

The King of the Netherlands' full regnal title is "By the Grace of God, King of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer van Amsberg, Marquis of Veere and Flushing, Count of Katzenelnbogen, Vianden, Diez, Spiegelberg, Buren, Leerdam and Culemborg, Burgrave of Antwerp, Baron of Breda, Diest, Beilstein, the town of Grave and the lands of Cuyk, IJsselstein, Cranendonk, Eindhoven, Liesveld, Herstal, Warneton, Arlay and Nozeroy, Hereditary and Free Lord of Ameland, Lord of Borculo, Bredevoort, Lichtenvoorde, Het Loo, Geertruidenberg, Clundert, Zevenbergen, Hooge and Lage Zwaluwe, Naaldwijk, Polanen, St Maartensdijk, Soest, Baarn, Ter Eem, Willemstad, Steenbergen, Montfort, St Vith, Bütgenbach, Dasburg, Niervaart, Turnhout and Besançon"

Anglo-Saxon kings of England had styles and titles, King Athelstan (r. 924-939) widely acknowledged as the first King of England had as his style..."King of the English, raised by the right hand of the Almighty to the Throne of the whole Kingdom of Britain".

Henry II (1154-1189) was "King of the English by the Grace of God, Duke of the Normans, Duke of the Aquitanians and Count of the Angevins".

Henry VIII (1509-1547) was the first to use "defender of the faith" when he used "By the Grace of God, King of England and France, Defender of the Faith and Lord of Ireland".

In Britain the Queen's current style and title is "By the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith". Charles will have something similar.

In Canada the Queen's style and title is "Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith."

In Australia the Queen's style and title is "Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God Queen of Australia and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth."

And for the lovers of popular culture and in the spirit of Rudy Guiliani's belief in that "very famous documentary about fictitious medieval England" called "Game of Thrones", the regnal title of the King at the start of that series was "Robert of the House Baratheon, the First of His name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm."

Don't get me wrong, it's interesting. The historical origins of monarchy are interesting. I still find such self-aggrandising titles ridiculous. Check this out;

...The palace refers to him simply as The Duke of Edinburgh in common practice, but take a look at his many titles and try not to get dizzy:

His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, Baron Greenwich, Royal Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Extra Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Member of the Order of Merit, Grand Master and First and Principal Knight Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Knight of the Order of Australia, Additional Member of the Order of New Zealand, Extra Companion of the Queen’s Service Order, Royal Chief of the Order of Logohu, Extraordinary Companion of the Order of Canada, Extraordinary Commander of the Order of Military Merit, Lord of Her Majesty’s Most Honourable Privy Council, Privy Councillor of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada, Personal Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty, Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom.

That's a whopping 133 words, folks. He has also been granted the honor of knighthood from a long list of nations across the world, from Greece and Denmark (Knight of the Order of the Elephant, our personal favorite) to Ethiopia and Brazil, so technically, this already long title could be much longer...

Huh, that's interesting - I thought the office of Lord High Admiral was still in commission with the Admiralty.

Now I google it, apparently it went back to the Queen in 1964 when the Admiralty was merged into the Department of Defence. Purely ceremonial now.

Monarchs around the world have royal styles and titles, which of course hearken back to their medieval origins.

The King of the Netherlands' full regnal title is "By the Grace of God, King of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer van Amsberg, Marquis of Veere and Flushing, Count of Katzenelnbogen, Vianden, Diez, Spiegelberg, Buren, Leerdam and Culemborg, Burgrave of Antwerp, Baron of Breda, Diest, Beilstein, the town of Grave and the lands of Cuyk, IJsselstein, Cranendonk, Eindhoven, Liesveld, Herstal, Warneton, Arlay and Nozeroy, Hereditary and Free Lord of Ameland, Lord of Borculo, Bredevoort, Lichtenvoorde, Het Loo, Geertruidenberg, Clundert, Zevenbergen, Hooge and Lage Zwaluwe, Naaldwijk, Polanen, St Maartensdijk, Soest, Baarn, Ter Eem, Willemstad, Steenbergen, Montfort, St Vith, Bütgenbach, Dasburg, Niervaart, Turnhout and Besançon"

Anglo-Saxon kings of England had styles and titles, King Athelstan (r. 924-939) widely acknowledged as the first King of England had as his style..."King of the English, raised by the right hand of the Almighty to the Throne of the whole Kingdom of Britain".

Henry II (1154-1189) was "King of the English by the Grace of God, Duke of the Normans, Duke of the Aquitanians and Count of the Angevins".

Henry VIII (1509-1547) was the first to use "defender of the faith" when he used "By the Grace of God, King of England and France, Defender of the Faith and Lord of Ireland".

In Britain the Queen's current style and title is "By the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith". Charles will have something similar.

In Canada the Queen's style and title is "Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith."

In Australia the Queen's style and title is "Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God Queen of Australia and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth."

And for the lovers of popular culture and in the spirit of Rudy Guiliani's belief in that "very famous documentary about fictitious medieval England" called "Game of Thrones", the regnal title of the King at the start of that series was "Robert of the House Baratheon, the First of His name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm."
Most people feel "pompous tosser" is far more succint.

The Queen's death, funeral and the subsquent coronation of the Prince of Wales will be massive events. Far bigger than Diana's death and funeral.

For a number of reasons not least even Republicans willingly admit she has been an outstanding and dutiful Queen but also because many will see it as a convenient time for a republic and because Charles is viewed with deep suspicion for his quack views on a number of subjects even by many in support of the monarchy.

Some of charles’ quack views are actually woke from long before woke was a thing.

I don’t think he’ll be welcomed as king by many on the right because of his (outspoken) wokeness and perceived weakness.
Funny cos although Charles is criticised for his political utterances, many are wokeish views and I don’t remember monarchs in history ever being criticised for imperialist or paternalistic views.
The left is rarely monarchist although as has been noted, the admiration for Elizabeth, who has been a public servant for at least twice as long as most public servant, signing papers on a daily basis is there too.

But getting to my point, republicanism needs referenda etc, but what of the soft bits of monarchy?

The various queens birthdays (which are ridiculous anyway as they vary from place to place and aren’t on her actual birthday-21 april) are an anachronism now, how will they fare in the examination of change?

Charles was born 14 nov and is already 72. What exactly do the various states. And territories do? I’m predicting if it’s a simple act in the various parliaments, that the public holiday will cease. Smart governments will find another reason for a holiday, on another date, which will become a new focus for a move away from monarchy

Even a monarchist leaning government (which would be coalition and neither Turnbull nor Morrison seemed to have much enthusiasm there) would be pushing a turd uphill trying to establish a new kings birthday holiday

Huh, that's interesting - I thought the office of Lord High Admiral was still in commission with the Admiralty.

Now I google it, apparently it went back to the Queen in 1964 when the Admiralty was merged into the Department of Defence. Purely ceremonial now.

That's some sharp work there. I never would have picked that up at all. I like the title previous to that one though - "Personal Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty". But of course, weren't the pair of them shagging at one stage?;)

M'eh don't care when the witch is dead.

I will not pay allegience to a foreign head of state, I despise our flag with the flag of a foreign country in it.

I hate the fact our head of state is also the head of a religion which in itself was only formed as her distant relative was shooting blanks so killed his wives instead.

Seriously if anyone thinks that's something to be proud of .... well just leave

For a number of reasons not least even Republicans willingly admit she has been an outstanding and dutiful Queen but also because many will see it as a convenient time for a republic and because Charles is viewed with deep suspicion for his quack views on a number of subjects even by many in support of the monarchy.

Yep I am a Republican but have a lot of time for the Queen, a woman who has done more than her fair share of work over the years.
Charlie is ok too.

I'm mainly opposed to the idea of monarchy, and by its extension the whole concept of peerage and having the upper house of your parliament not democratically elected. The freeloader class who care less about what you have done or achieved in life than who your long dead great-great-great grandfather was.

For ten days (from the Queen's death until her funeral) flags in Australia will be flown at half mast, except on the day of accession (the day when the new monarch is proclaimed). A flag notice will be issued immediately upon her death with these instructions.

Bells will ring at churches across Australia. The Australian Defence Force will organise several gun salutes to coincide with events in London. A book of condolences will be opened at Parliament House in Canberra.

The day of her funeral will be a national day of mourning in Australia. If not in session Parliament will meet for a condolence motion,. The Prime Minister will speak to the nation and the .Governor-General will issue an Australian proclamation of the new king’s accession, which will be the first formal public announcement of the Queen’s death in Australia. The Australian proclamation will include the king’s Australian title which will be "Charles the Third, by the Grace of God King of Australia and His other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth". Parliament must amend the Royal Style and Titles Act 1973, introduced by Gough Whitlam’s government, to establish the king’s Australian title.

When George VI died in 1952, the entrances to public buildings in Austra;ia were draped in purple and black. Ministers wore black suits and ties. Church bells tolled for one hour each day until the funeral, which was designated as a day of mourning. Theatres were asked to close and sporting fixtures were cancelled.
Book of condolences thing reminds me of some joke from a British standup comedian (can't remember the name) where he says he signed a Book of Condolences for Mother Theresa as "Condolences for Mother Theresa and the Queen Mother". The person with the book said the Queen Mother's not dead, so he says "Yeah, but bugger me if I'm going to line up for this again.".

Yep I am a Republican but have a lot of time for the Queen, a woman who has done more than her fair share of work over the years.
Charlie is ok too.

I'm mainly opposed to the idea of monarchy, and by its extension the whole concept of peerage and having the upper house of your parliament not democratically elected. The freeloader class who care less about what you have done or achieved in life than who your long dead great-great-great grandfather was.
I am opposed to the idea of Patriarcha, but I am unsure if what would sweep in to fill the void would be an improvement. Look at Sri Lanka's constitutional woes. The great thing about the Monarchy is that it institutes a bureaucracy which keeps our political structure within a very set framework. Take the Queen out and you loose that framework, a lot of people seem to assume the replacement would be an improvement, but the examples of a monarchy being replaced by a benevolent republic are really quite slim in history I think, usually you just get a strongman who recreates the country in their own image. Whatever my issues with the idea of divine blood I prefer it to George Brandis structuring society.

Charlie is ok too.

Given the behaviour of the male members of the royal household over the past thrity years I have utmost confidence in them f***ing the whole thing up inside a generation when they get their hands on the tiller.

Given the behaviour of the male members of the royal household over the past thrity years I have utmost confidence in them f***ing the whole thing up inside a generation when they get their hands on the tiller.

By doing what? The monarchy is a constitutional one. In other words the monarch exercises authority in accordance with a written or unwritten constitution. and exercise their reserve powers and authority within limits prescribed within that country's established legal framework. in the natural course of events, Charles, William and George are the next three monarchs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By doing what? The monarchy is a constitutional one. In other words the monarch exercises authority in accordance with a written or unwritten constitution. and exercise their reserve powers and authority within limits prescribed within that country's established legal framework. in the natural course of events, Charles, William and George are the next three monarchs.
Charles has already shown that he doesn't care about vows of marriage despite being the putative head of the C of E, what other of his vows might he see as not applying to him or being inconvenient?

Charles has already shown that he doesn't care about vows of marriage despite being the putative head of the C of E, what other of his vows might he see as not applying to him or being inconvenient?

You tell me.

As I said, Charles will exercise authority in accordance with a written or unwritten constitution. and exercise his reserve powers and authority within limits prescribed within that country's established legal framework

Prince Andrew has virtually no chance of ever being the monarch.

What about the guy who betrayed his nation to support the Nazis?

Don't you have an issue fighting a war in which one of our former monarchs is backing the other guy?

Don't you have an issue fighting a war in which one of our former monarchs is backing the other guy?
The details surrounding that are very amusing. Hitler sent Ribbentrop, the most *ed Nazi, to handle things in England. He was convinced the Monarch in the UK held 'actual' power and that there was a secret Illuminati society of rich Englishmen who would help him institute a coup if he could ingratiate himself to them.

The details surrounding that are very amusing. Hitler sent Ribbentrop, the most ******ed Nazi, to handle things in England. He was convinced the Monarch in the UK held 'actual' power and that there was a secret Illuminati society of rich Englishmen who would help him institute a coup if he could ingratiate himself to them.

No doubt the toffs preferred Hitler to communists

Last edited:

What about him?

How did he “betray”the nation? And what does this have to do with the original comment...

“........I have utmost confidence in them f***ing the whole thing up inside a generation when they get their hands on the tiller.“

What about him?

How did he “betray”the nation? And what does this have to do with the original comment...

“........I have utmost confidence in them f***ing the whole thing up inside a generation when they get their hands on the tiller.“

You indicated anything goes for the non ruling royals. He was a former ruler and had the potential to take back the throne. Him being a nazi stooge was contemptible

Remove this Banner Ad

Back