names on club jumpers next year ?

Remove this Banner Ad

doesnt bother me.

it would look ugly but is AFL really a fashion show?

yea some players may use it as a fashion show with all their haircuts etc. but in the end its the football we should be more interested in

yeah. I think its an extra 10 bucks or so.

So it means they can charge more for a jumper....and of course they'll change the jumper slightly every year...and have seperate home strips to away strips and contrasting strips..then one off "special edition" jumpers and anniversary jumpers as well as 50 game jumpers and "gold edition" jumpers celebrating his 200th game.

Then of course a REAL fan would like a collection of jumpers which is pointless if they dont have the names on them to know the difference.

Cant wait for the Brett Deledio 100 game celebration Stubby Holder to come out to add to my collection of Richo mugs.

yepp...the sooner they persoanlise the merchandise with names the better. Great news for fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Drug Policy:

"Players who are found to have recreational drugs in their system on 3 separate occasions will face a suspension from AFL football for a period of time to be determined by the AFL commission. Once the player has returned from their ban, as a punishment they must have the words "is a filthy drug user" enscribed under their surname on the playing guernsey. For example player John Smith's jumper would read:

Smith
is a filthy drug user

It is with this rule that Vlad, our almighty ruler, hopes will show the youth of australia (most of whom are turning to wog-ball) that drugs are bad. Don't do drugs...okay?"

The jumpers were being sold all this year with names on them at the AFL stores.
It's not a new thing for 2008, and the last I ever saw comment on it from the AFL management, they thought it made to backs of jumpers too busy, with three clubs already having BBFFC, FFC and SMFC respectively, already on their jumpers.

What does happen is it makes the merchandise a player specific property, and not a club property.
What that means is the clubs get less of the money, as the AFL still gets all of their Licence Fee, but the players get a percentage of the money that would have gone to the clubs.
It's only something like $4 per jumper that the clubs are getting, but now it's less, because the player will get a share of the $4.

Will not happen. The AFL would of introduced a media release if they were going to make such a change to AFL jumpers next year. Sounds ike only supporters have the names.

ORRRRRR to fix the problem they could just sew a tiny nametag onto the inside of the jumper near the side seam...that way they wouldnt get mixed up with the other guys in the sheds.

My mum's a genius :thumbsu:

i reckon there's too much going on on the jumpers and this is only going to add to it. sponsors, mascots, and not too mention alternate jumper designs which are ugly.

even though most teams in the MLB have player names on the back of shirts, the New York Yankees dont. Tradition is their reason.

But yankees supporters can find plenty of merchandise in a bomber shop with their favourite players name on the back of some type of clothing item. Even if you dont follow baseball in new york (which is quite hard cos it is a baseball town) you'll know that Jeter is #2 and Rodriguez is #13.....you'll see someone wearing one of their shirts upteen times a day!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back