Toast Nathan van Berlo bows out

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly congrats to NVB on his appointment. I do think he can bring something to a development role and I don't worry what the actual title is. I do have concerns over a boys-club look but I can live with it in a secondary level role.

The alfoil hat though is sending messages that this was part of a retirement package.

That was a great speech and a really moving moment and reaffirms how pissed I am at the arseholes at the club who were dishonest with him and with our members and continued playing him way past his use by date until supporters started to resent his unwarranted selection. Idiots.

It's really unfortunate. The club mishandled him horribly after that achilles injury. He looked totally lost at the top level in 2015 but they kept playing him anyway. Then when he should have retired, he spent his final season playing mostly in the reserves. Not a dignified exit for a former club captain.

Not big on Thommo getting a coaching role...not exactly sure why maybe just gut feel on that but appointing VB seems to be a smart move, bank details and super plan aside. If there is anyone who can instruct the junior players on the standards required to get the best out of yourself and show how in a split second your career falls dramatically...so you need to make the most of every moment, it is VB.

Whilst I don't want him as a skills coach, attitude is a big big part of footballers number 6-22 in a team succeeding and he up to 2012 made the most out of his ability

That's easy, clearly his job is much the same as it was the last two years on the club. If we lose a game it is completely and totally the result of player development failures and obviously an absolute result of NVB being on the staff.

If we win, he is forgotten for that week.

In other words, he maintains his role as scapegoat for some in here looking for a target.

Seems to me this move should be rejoiced by that contingent as they still have the target for all that "ails" the Crows in 2017. :rolleyes:

You should really let this go. His b&f results for his previous 3 completed seasons clearly showed he was a player outside or just on the cusp of best 22. At 150+ games his ceiling had been reached and if our side was to improve to become genuine contenders he was amongst the first to be overtaken. This view was supported by his dropping this year after one game and then again after playing in 2 wins. Everyone knows you've supported him regardless of form and value highly his experience, but the club finally made the call that their own b&f voting finally demanded. As they did with Wright and as will happen again next year with our irreplaceable but out of form on-field leadership.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
That's what worries me, we've locked in 2 new coaches over the next 2 years and they are both our players.
They're there to help the young players learn and understand the way Pyke wants them to play though. As long as they have good communication skills and understand what Pyke wants them to do then I think that's the main thing. That could actually help having them come from the club, they already know all the players and how to get through to them.

Paid holiday.
If the $300,000 a year figure it took to get him down here is correct then it's a very well paid holiday.

He also has the experience of coming back from a long term injury. Granted he didn't come back in the same shape, but you can bet your bottom dollar his rehab was totally professional. Would be able to offer first rate advice to another player going through something similar.

Sick of all the idiots poo pooing this appointment simply because he played for afc. How can you or I possibly know if he's the best person for the job?

Do you think it's a good appointment?
Imo he is well qualified for the role.

The issue is getting more non-afc people at afc. There needs to be a balance with bringing in new ideas.

O'Keefe has taken the piss almost the entire time he's been here. Spends more time pursuing his other interests and riding his bike than doing anything for the club.

Can I ask what you're basing this other than a person having interests outside their job? Asking genuinely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard it from multiple sources in media and affiliated with the club. Other posters on here have heard similar. This isn't the first time it's been brought up on here.

If this is the case, then surely he'd be sacked?

Would be happy to read your detailed analysis of the requirements and responsibilities of the role, and the suitability or not of vB for it.
Way to miss the point. I didn't say it was a good or bad appointment, my question was based on him complaining that without knowing people were saying it was bad, well that equally applies to those saying it is a good appointment.

But it's good to see you have his back even in retirement.

VB would be suited to the role I'm sure. But why us? Why out of 18 clubs in the league did he pick the same club that he has spent the previous decade at?

A coincidence? A convenience?
Maybe he just wants to stay in Adelaide? At the SANFL Coaches Award night, Nathan Bassett was guest speaker and mentioned that he's coaching at Port because there's only 2 AFL teams in Adelaide and he was desperate to get back home. He was also very open about Port's lack of success this past season.

Maybe he just wants to stay in Adelaide? At the SANFL Coaches Award night, Nathan Bassett was guest speaker and mentioned that he's coaching at Port because there's only 2 AFL teams in Adelaide and he was desperate to get back home. He was also very open about Port's lack of success this past season.
Yep - I'm sure it is convenient for him to stay in Adelaide.

Why is that any concern of the club's though?

He also has the experience of coming back from a long term injury. Granted he didn't come back in the same shape, but you can bet your bottom dollar his rehab was totally professional. Would be able to offer first rate advice to another player going through something similar.

What do you mean he didn't come back in the same shape. He was again our pre-eminent 3km time trial runner and his form and B&F results almost perfectly matched his 2 seasons completed prior to the injury. He returned almost exactly as he left.

Imo he is well qualified for the role.

The issue is getting more non-afc people at afc. There needs to be a balance with bringing in new ideas.

When I think about it, development roles seem to be the bottom level of coaching and most likely have little to do with strategy. So not bringing in new ideas at that level probably isn't a critical failing. However, bringing in fresh ideas, especially from successful systems, should always be an objective. Where it becomes an issue is when we find out next year that NVB has been promoted to a line coaching role and he then hangs around for a number of years as we continue to stagnate. All AFC players should be told that to be hungry enough to be a coach at our club Shen their playing career concludes, then you will be only to eager to pack up your life and move interstate for a couple of years to develop your knowledge. If you're not prepared to do that, then you're not really all that driven to coach.

Would be happy to read your detailed analysis of the requirements and responsibilities of the role, and the suitability or not of vB for it.

The VBelievers have again found something to hitch their wagon to. Good for you, must have been a toughish year with him finally being held accountable for the quality of his on-field performance.

Heard it from multiple sources in media and affiliated with the club. Other posters on here have heard similar. This isn't the first time it's been brought up on here.
Who were the media sources? I heard it here from TMS (whom i believe ), but haven't heard it elsewhere.

Sick of all the idiots poo pooing this appointment simply because he played for afc. How can you or I possibly know if he's the best person for the job?

A company who promotes only from within will grow real stale, real quick (and we seem to do it a lot)

You have to get some new ideas in from the outside. There has to be some promoting form within (shows good culture) but it needs to be balanced. If you are successful as a company, it should be an 80% hiring within rate and 20% external hires.

The worse you perform, the higher your external hiring rate should be until you see improvement. Those new people will see flaws and implement systems to improve

Complacency will breed real quick with all internal hires. "Everyone is awesome"

We need to break our mold for once. VB may be the best development coach ever and that would be a win, but at some stage we need to get some guns from other clubs and get them filling some key spots....

Clarke and Campo are 2 obvious ones. I'll be forever grateful for what Campo did last year after the tragedy, but fresh blood is needed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back