Opinion Nathan Van Berlo: Midfield Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they’re going for more experienced assistants forward and back so Nicks can keep a close eye on the midfield with a younger assistant in there..
Keeping in mind the reduced salary cap and with still 1 or 2 more coaches coming in possibly with a Balme, I think it’s a good appointment..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Used to speak wtih him when I used to work at coles and he'd come in, was the aboslute best bloke, would hang around and give me his time when he finished shopping. Do wonder how tactically sound he is though, hopefully learnt a few things off Mitchell.

Again though, would rather we not employ former players. North Melbourne is pretty much all Ex North players and look at them.

It's selection that I'm most interested in. Set ups and strategies I'm comfortable with.

Will VB be prepared to grant midfield minutes to Jones and Schoenberg? And Pick 1?
I wouldn’t be too confident. West Coast brought Xavier O’Neill in for 5 games late this season after all their injuries but only had him attend a total of 14 centre bounces in those 5 games before dropping him for round 18. Their default throughout the year instead was to stick Gaff in the middle whenever one of their mids was out.

Anyway I'm not sold on him. Don't think he's spent enough time away from our system and the fact he's played in the same team as some of our current players is worrisome
I like the appointment but I have this concern - will be interesting to see whether he makes the hard calls

Its why I wouldnt have Jacobs back for at least 5 years

Good luck to NVB

I like the appointment but I have this concern - will be interesting to see whether he makes the hard calls

Its why I wouldnt have Jacobs back for at least 5 years

Good luck to NVB
Not sure I'd ever have Jacobs back. The way he carried himself in his final year was very poor

I think they’re going for more experienced assistants forward and back so Nicks can keep a close eye on the midfield with a younger assistant in there..
Keeping in mind the reduced salary cap and with still 1 or 2 more coaches coming in possibly with a Balme, I think it’s a good appointment..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
yes correct and burns said he is responsible for opponent planning, match day strategy and so on. i would expect burns to have fair bit of oversight of VB.

i’m torn on this one. did not rate VB as a player but sometimes the great players are s**t coaches and vice versatility. fingers crossed.

also, just listening to burns speak did anyone else think maybe adelaide bought a security blanket in case nicks doesn’t work out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes correct and burns said he is responsible for opponent planning, match day strategy and so on. i would expect burns to have fair bit of oversight of VB.

i’m torn on this one. did not rate VB as a player but sometimes the great players are sh*t coaches and vice versatility. fingers crossed.

also, just listening to burns speak did anyone else think maybe adelaide bought a security blanket in case nicks doesn’t work out?
I had assumed that would be a possibility.

So the Ruck Coach is only as good as the players he's been given to mold by the recruiting/list management.....Hardly an illustrious group he's had to work with. He's actually done pretty well IMO.
I was actually just asking if he was still there!

Don't mind the appointment.

If i was WCE i would be annoyed as they are in finals and would want my midfield coach on the ball....

Anyway I'm not sold on him. Don't think he's spent enough time away from our system and the fact he's played in the same team as some of our current players is worrisome
Sam Mitchell has done this with both WCE and Hawthorn but no one has any issue with that.

I'm happy to go in with an open mind with this move. NVB was never the most talented guy which means to make it, it was hard work, smarts and effort which I feel leads to a better coach than someone has cruised on talent.

He's been in the system a few years now, Burns and Nicks both have experience coaching midfield groups too so I'm sure they'll have an input if/when needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back