NBL 2020/21 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

A huge proportion of most teams' revenue would be from attendance. I don't think it's unfair of teams to assume that we might not have a full season of attended games coming up. Plenty of companies' ability to dish out sponsorship dollars would have taken a bit hit too.
I’d like to hope we’ll be able to attend games by October, but I guess that’s fair enough. I figured sponsors would be an issue.

Still don’t understand why the salaries were cut back so much. I get that they needed to be cut, but 50% seems extreme.

The financial situation surely can’t be that dire, it’s the offseason.
I thought the same

^ I've seen people in several places naming that Italian team as Cotton's destination, but I'm pretty sure that is all based on people mistaking old news for current news.
(Not that I believe Homicide either. Though I hope this is one of those hens-teeth-rare occasions when it turns out that what he has predicted manages to intersect with what actually happens)

Left field idea but what about Isaiah Thomas?

Technically been a Cav, Laker, Nugget, Wizard and Clipper since the 17/18 NBA season kicked off. Played 32, 12 and 40 games the last 3 seasons including this one where he has been waived after the Wizards traded him to LAC.

Can't see a 9th NBA team wanting him and is 31 already. We're talking about a guy that was All NBA Second Team 3 years ago and was third in the league in scoring. Even this season he was a starter getting 12 points a game which is better than how Bogut, Boone, Childress etc. were travelling prior to them joining the NBL.

No one half decent is coming to the NBL next year. We pay less than other countries to begin with but the lifestyle and playing in an English speaking country makes up that difference.

Take 50% away from the salary offers for next year and we're in a bit of trouble.

Matt Hodgson and Xavier Cooks have opted out.

Cotton has got the ball rolling, many more will follow now.

NBL has ****ed itself.

RIP

Just when the league came good...

The plans for the Tassie team would surely have to be canned short term? Even removing the financial issues, the talent pool is going to be ****ed enough as it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys in their prime like Kay/Goulding/McCaron/Sobey/Creek/Webster/Delany will drop out for bigger money overseas. Solid vets like Newley/Lisch/Abercrombie/Johnson might be considering it. Younger guys with NBA aspirations like Froling/Magnay might look for better opportunities or go to the G-league where the lower salary it offers isn't as much of an issue. Imports on multi year deals like Ware will go. Bogut was on his last legs already and won't return if Sydney aren't stacked and contending. Damo could retire. Stud next stars won't be coming because of the G-league.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but this could be horrible for the NBL

Yeah, League is f’ed. It was fun while it lasted, whoever thought 50% was a good idea can gagf
It’s hardly the league’s fault. They can’t guarantee money at this point and the players know this so they need to look after themselves. I’d rather this happens now and we still have a league moving forward than have a bunch of players owed money which would nix the chances of talent coming to the league in future seasons.

I really, really hope the Cairns imports stay.
They have to axe one of them even if they all want to stay with import numbers down to 2. :(

It’s hardly the league’s fault. They can’t guarantee money at this point and the players know this so they need to look after themselves. I’d rather this happens now and we still have a league moving forward than have a bunch of players owed money which would nix the chances of talent coming to the league in future seasons.

I guess we'll never know if it was a knee jerk reaction. May be the NBL doesn't have the reserves to cover some of the teams that were financially in trouble.

The issue is that the league is screwed now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back