NBL 2020/21 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Britt joined White as players you don't want on court in a close game.
I can't believe Britt is even a DP tbh. He just looks horrible on the court with the ball, especially for a PG. Basketball just doesn't look natural to him. Even Wani is in a similar category imo.

Shervill and Travers are miles ahead of them.

I can't believe Britt is even a DP tbh. He just looks horrible on the court with the ball, especially for a PG. Basketball just doesn't look natural to him. Even Wani is in a similar category imo.

When you think of the quality of some of the SBL players that never made that next step up, and then see Britt getting game time it really is frustrating.

The gulf in talent between star NBL players versus bench players is greater than in any other league.

The best NBL players are credible international level talent who could make bank overseas and who have had/will get an NBA opportunity at some point in their careers, but the low tier bench players just look like random state league guys.

Last edited:
When you think of the quality of some of the SBL players that never made that next step up, and then see Britt getting game time it really is frustrating.
I know quite a few good SBL players who turned down NBL contracts, purely due to the money v commitment required. Even as a DP at NBL level you have to be pretty much fulltime and the money is just not there.

I remember Perth having Jarrod Kenny for years and presuming he was some 20 year old DP. Nope, he was my age. One of the challenges that the NBL faces is that promising young players want to play college basketball in the US so there's a gulf in talent in the 18-21 age bracket. Ironically it's now supplemented to a small degree by Next Stars players who don't want to play in college for a year.

I know quite a few good SBL players who turned down NBL contracts, purely due to the money v commitment required. Even as a DP at NBL level you have to be pretty much fulltime and the money is just not there.
Yeah I once spoke to the mother of a former DP who also spent a little time on the end of a roster. She said he'd be way better off just working at maccas lol.

To be a DP or the 11th or 12th man you really need to just be super committed and love it or really have potential to eventually have a long great career otherwise its not always worth it.

A lot of DPs earn basically no money too to maintain eligibility for college in the US.

Thing is, it keeps getting reported that Britt absolutely cuts up NZNBL. Maybe he's one of those players that just needs to play a lot, and if that's the case, I can't see Trev sticking with him long term. Travers is the complete opposite, kid looks something special.

Rumours and news reports that someone in Asia has offered Trev a big contract. The guy warrants a go at NBA level. I can't help but wonder how much longer he'll want to stay. Literally has nothing to prove in the NBL anymore.

Thing is, it keeps getting reported that Britt absolutely cuts up NZNBL. Maybe he's one of those players that just needs to play a lot, and if that's the case, I can't see Trev sticking with him long term. Travers is the complete opposite, kid looks something special.

Rumours and news reports that someone in Asia has offered Trev a big contract. The guy warrants a go at NBA level. I can't help but wonder how much longer he'll want to stay. Literally has nothing to prove in the NBL anymore.
Some of the posters on the Hoops forum were saying that the rumour is that Gleeson is leaving at the end of the season and that Forde might be his replacement.

Regarding Britt - every time I see him come in for the final couple of minutes of a game he invariably turns it over a few times and drives to the basket to score. I think the Cats would be better off trying to spend the money on a backup PG with some quality and upside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it just me or is indigenous round a bit cringey?

Great if we can encourage more indigenous participation in any sport, but a bunch of white dudes and African American imports standing around a welcome to country ceremony in indigenous jerseys is a bit awkward.

+1 for Ware being terrible. Was hot garbage in last year's Grand Final series.

Is it just me or is indigenous round a bit cringey?

Great if we can encourage more indigenous participation in any sport, but a bunch of white dudes and African American imports standing around a welcome to country ceremony in indigenous jerseys is a bit awkward.

+1 for Ware being terrible. Was hot garbage in last year's Grand Final series.
It coincides with the beginning of National Reconciliation Week. It’s not about encouraging more indigenous participation. It’s about acknowledging our history, respecting the lands on which the games are played on first and foremost. From there we could bridge the gap that exists in our society, so that the indigenous population has the opportunities like the rest of us, be it in regards to sport, education or health.

They were pretty rubbish for most of the season amid heightened expectations.

Maybe they go after Adam Forde on a 3 year deal?

If the rumours are true the Wildcats will be looking to convince Forde to coach after Gleesons departure overseas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back