Neil Craig Walks Away

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Neil Craig quits

Seriously why read more into it than what I said and what was meant. I am sick of people who have whinge at the exact same things that were all laid out for them in the begining. For every person who does not want their membership their will be another that will. The good times will return and we will be back at 50k+ members before you know it. Just have to have a little faith

Im not reading into it.

We're in agreement. If people arent happy with the product being offered they should withhold their membership money.

I do disagree with your 'we dont need them anyway' statements though. Crowds are at record lows, memberships have plummetted, and we're making financial losses. We need supporters, dont make any mistake about it.

If the board do as was suggested and look from within and appoint Bickley the new coach will it matter if he moved on or not?

It could have the Port/Williams/Primus type of feel about it and that didn't result in anything substantially better.

just a question

is that the first time we have had a coach quit after a belting ? or did Blight do it too?

I don’t know, I think Blight pulled the pin and it would not have mattered if we won by 100 or lost by 100, he was ready to leave. Robert Shaw was sacked after the season ended, I cannot remember that far back.

However, the ironical thing about Neil Craig walking away is.

Only twice in our history have we lost a game after leading by more than 12 point at ¾ time. The first time, Gary Ayres was replaced/sacked/quit 2 weeks later. Last week, we lost to Essendon and we were leading by more than 12 points.

The next coach of the Adelaide Crows would not want to lose a game after leading at ¾ time by more than 12 points.

The devil is always in the detail.

Bickley has a dream draw.

Please, please, PLEASE AFC...do not do a Primus on us, do not get sucked in by the next few weeks.

There are so many more credentialled options out there. Do not settle.

If Bickley is senior it will just be Neil Craig directing things still but more discretely.

+ 1.
With all and sundry in the media espousing that our assistants are not ready, surely if Bickley wins every game for the rest of the year he wont be an automatic upgrade.

But well done Craigy in walking and thanks for a reasonable batting average.:thumbsu:

Lot of people saying this like it's a fact. Just as likely he was told that he was no longer required and they've organised the dignified exit. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not paint him as a martyr to the AFC just yet.

Its almost sickening that this whole thing about Neil Craig being selfless, full of integrity etc is being rammed down our throats. He quit when his job became untenable, not a second earlier, he has done no more or less than any other coach that has left before seasons end, in fact it is probably left because he is still employed by the club.

If he really cared about the club above himself he would have ended his employment all together rather than taking a leave of absence. He should realise that a ex senior coach hanging around is a recipe for disaster

Its no like the board begged him to stay and he said "no thanks, its better for the club that I leave".

He got a tap on the shoulder from above, this is not some heroic selfless act as siome whould like to believe. IMHO his time was up early last year (at the latest), although I wanted him gone after the Massie/Franklin debarcle and would not have been shocked if he left after the 2007 season.

If we win a few games from here on in, for mine that would be an indictment on our players who really need to take a good hard look at themselves.

Gee I half agree with you there Jars unless they've been following team rules to the letter.

example Switching across half back when it is very dangerous to do so- hell I couldnt believe the recent Essendon game where we done this only to come unstuck when a better option wouldve been down the line to a one-on-one /force it out for a throw -in.

Wow, I really thought he'd stay until the end of the season. That's not to say there aren't positives from announcing it early - it'll get the supporters back interested again, and it lets our players know that change is coming. If any of them didn't like the uncertainty, now they have some.

Thanks for everything Craig. You gave us some ripper memories, and I still believe that you were a massive part in turning our club culture around. You changed the way the game is played, and you're held in extremely high regard by your peers. Although your last couple of seasons were poor, you walk out with your head held high.

Mixed feelings with Bickley as our caretaker. Of course, it was always going to be him - who else could it be? I'm just hoping that we don't rubber stamp him in if he wins a few of the remaining games, considering how easy the draw is.

Bicks won't be coach next year unless he has a massive change of heart on his own abilities oveer the next 6 weeks - can't see it happening no matter the results. He's been at the club since the hey day, just missing a few years in the middle there between Ayres/Craig. He knows the job and its pressures better than most (without actually doing the job) - i don't beleive (based on comments from Roo and others) he wants the job.

I hadn't got this impression - can you elaborate a bit? I'm hoping you're right!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a contact who saw Craigy at breakfast Saturday morning with tears running down his cheeks. Craigy was in a meeting with Rob Chapman until 4am after the game.
This sort of comment does nothing except have scorn poured on the club because of its front running supporters. So you have a contact....BIG DEAL !

I am genuinely sad for Neil. This bloke is probably the hardest working coach in the game, has sacrificed plenty for the club and truly believed he was on the right track. In essence I think Neil was just too bloody nice for the gig and was unable to inspire his players enough to play how he wanted them to play.

The right decision has been made by the club and Neil.

I cannot emphasize strongly enough though how important it is that the club is exhaustive in it pursuits of a new coach. I think NC was probably the wrong choice when he was appointed and I have grave fears that if the same process is followed we are all going to be here again in a few years time.

Great news. :)

Thanks for everything Neil, but this was the right move.

But with Port, GC, Brisbane and Richmond to come, I can see us getting some wins and Bickley being coach. :thumbsdown:

A brave decision but a braver one would have been to say he would resign at the end of the year so Bickley wouldn't get a chance to audition for the job. Bickley is not the answer and if he gets a few cheap wins and does become coach next year I fear we are in very deep dodo for several years to come. We need an outside person with completely fresh ideas. Fingers crossed

Thankyou Neil for all you have done over the years. Although you couldn't get the ultimate success you record is one to be proud of. You created a Football club and as a long standing member I have never felt more a part of the club as I have since your tenure.
You have always put the club first and this is further evident with you standing down today. I hope you stay on in some capacity as you have much to offer.

Agree totally. Displayed integrity right to the end. All the best Neil and I am sure you still have much to offer the Club.:thumbsu:

Somewhere in Adelaide Taylor Walker and Bernie Vince are high-fiving each other, while Nathan van Berlo's bottom pulsates furiously.

Are you joking? I would be surprised. Have heard nothing but admiration from the players for Neil.

I hope the assistant coaches have a good hard look at themselves. Surely they must take a large proportion of the responsibility for the performance of the team.

Its almost sickening that this whole thing about Neil Craig being selfless, full of integrity etc is being rammed down our throats. He quit when his job became untenable, not a second earlier, he has done no more or less than any other coach that has left before seasons end, in fact it is probably left because he is still employed by the club.

If he really cared about the club above himself he would have ended his employment all together rather than taking a leave of absence. He should realise that a ex senior coach hanging around is a recipe for disaster

Its no like the board begged him to stay and he said "no thanks, its better for the club that I leave".

He got a tap on the shoulder from above, this is not some heroic selfless act as siome whould like to believe. IMHO his time was up early last year (at the latest), although I wanted him gone after the Massie/Franklin debarcle and would not have been shocked if he left after the 2007 season.
Sometimes you just have to shake your head and walk away^^^^^
All the best for the future neil:thumbsu:

Great news. Tonight, the Milky Bars are on me!

party-hard.gif

Great news. :)

Thanks for everything Neil, but this was the right move.

But with Port, GC, Brisbane and Richmond to come, I can see us getting some wins and Bickley being coach. :thumbsdown:

What makes you think we'll win, the way we're playing we'll struggle big time. If we do somehow manage to win all of them then it just shows that our players have as much to blame for such a s**t season as Neil Craig.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back