Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's presume it's a done deal, who gets a stand, who gets an end named after them?

The Tony Modra end is a no brainer.

It’s a training facility that is being reported not a stadium.

It'll most likely be a home ground for SANFL, AFLW and maybe preseason games just like Alberton for Port. That way it becomes a source of income for hosting matches.

I also think the club should look to start some long-lasting traditions when they move into a new place, like statues of every premiership captain or something like that.

It'll most likely be a home ground for SANFL, AFLW and maybe preseason games just like Alberton for Port. That way it becomes a source of income for hosting matches.

I’d doubt the last point and AFLW very much.
Use the dockers new base as an example, it’s not used for anything or this sort.

I’d doubt the last point and AFLW very much.
Use the dockers new base as an example, it’s not used for anything or this sort.

Or look at Brisbane's new HQ for an example that will be used like that. Having a top quality ground for AFLW will be a big help to convince the council to hand over parklands to the club.

They're not going to allow fun in the parklands.

They're not going to allow fun in the parklands.

They allowed Adelaide Oval to be built in parklands in the 19th century, so the precedent has been set that it's ok to use the land if it's a place people can go to watch sport, which is why I think it will be a key part of our proposal.

They allowed Adelaide Oval to be built in parklands in the 19th century, so the precedent has been set that it's ok to use the land if it's a place people can go to watch sport, which is why I think it will be a key part of our proposal.
Since the 19th century North Adelaide has been populated entirely by nimbys, killjoys, and the type of people who like to form committees to hear their own voice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in that photo. I've done a fair bit of walking around there and on the other side of Lefevre Rd to the dog park. The only action that I've seen is stored roadworks equipment on the edge of the oval. And, you wouldn't believe it, an actual game of social cricket being played by a bunch of blokes on my last trip down as well. Otherwise, outside of the people parking along untimed Barton Tce East, nothing happens at all. That's why you won't hear me complaining about the agistment fields. At least that area is being used. Oh, and if I was to get a horse, I'd be allowed to store it there.
Any chance that we can come with a deal so I put a horse in there? And maybe a couple of moody calves?

Using it as a home ground for AFLW and future AFL Reserves fixtures is a no brainer IMO. Make it feel like a proper home. Doesn't need big grandstands all the way around. Just a small seating area off the back of the training complex and grass mounds all the way around. I don't like the current nomadic nature of playing AFLW games at different grounds.

Desolate wasteland....minutes from the CBD.

Now imagine our Park Lands filled with
AFC training and admin centre.
A water park
State of the art playing fields for community sporting club use.
A large adventure playground
Skate Park
A couple of amphitheatres
Well maintained Dog Park
Network of maintained working and cycling trails
BBQ and picnic areas.
A nice pond

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Ever thought about getting on the council...

Back