News NEW HQ: ROYAL HALL OF INDUSTRIES & Showring Oval Upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

It turns out I was wrong. They weren't going into the SCG to shower - they were using the hot and cold 'plunge pools' (the ones at Swans HQ aren't finished yet).
Makes sense to leave that to last, everything else is up and working so below decks is less of a concern.

And a further update, I attended the AGM in person and we got a guided tour of Swans HQ and I witnessed that those plunge pools have since been made operational. Apparently we now only lease a very small amount of space from the SCG, just for warm-ups on match days.
I keep looking at the new building wondering where all our staff go. Am worried their now Hobbits working in some hole in the ground we can't see.

What was your impression up close of the new digs Calli?

Amazing! Really impressive, Ticky. It was both bigger and slicker than I expected. The indoor field is the centrepiece and you can see it almost wherever you are which is super cool. The whole place is pretty transparent except to the outside world. There are lots of awesome recreation areas - I especially liked the upstairs, outdoor terrace at the southern end of RHI. I think it'd be a hard place to beat for whatever the club's equivalent of Friday night drinks is. I also love how you have all this slick modernity enclosed with a building which has history and charm.

The facilities and are being shared and used pretty intensively between AFL, AFLW and Academy. The COO Drew Arthurson said they're using the indoor field nearly 100% of the time from about 6 am to 9 pm each day!! There are heaps of opportunities for the AFL and AFLW players to cross - in the dining hall (which they are calling their 'campfire' area), in the plunge pools, walking in and out the player and staff entrance (which faces east towards the Entertainment Quarter). I hadn't realised but there is also a separate smaller building which is part of the devlopment. It faces onto Lang Rd (i.e. south end). I imagine this was the part that was going to be occupied by the Swifts before they pulled out. Now they have put the most AWESOME basketball court in there (which can be modified into a netball court) and it's going to be used by the Hoops Basketball Academy (Hoops Capital Academy).

A lot of the spaces are going to be available for hire, I suppose to generate income for the club.

It isn't all finished yet. There are some minor details they are fixing up, there are some parts that are just fairly empty and not much lived in or moved into yet; and there are some projects that are going to require more money to complete, for instance a museum that they are inviting donations for.

Most of the building will be off limits to the general public but they will open up parts (e.g. the foyer, and the museum when they get money to get that done) of the HQ to members (but not the general public) on game day. It's one way they want to make membership offer real advantages and so get people to sign up.

Better graphics on the Showring Oval upgrade

I'm pretty sure that most of the video is shot in the outside area between RHI and the other building at the south end. Just looking on Google maps satellite view, it looks like that other building didn't even really exist before (no wonder I didn't know it was there) except for the facades - there was just a parking lot type area and a big shed. Now the 'plunge pools' are pretty much where those cars are parked. The basketball building retains the original facade facing Lang Rd which is a lot of what makes it so cool. And it has a really high ceiling with this cool indoor atmosphere with exposed old brick all along the southside of the floor.

Towards the end of the video there are a couple of shots of the so called 'campfire' area (the first one shows a white, circular, outward-facing couch setup; the second shows the area full of people eating). The coffee bar (with the La Marzocco machine is at the east end of that space - you can walk straight up there via some stairs from the players/staff entrance on the ground floor.

Better graphics on the Showring Oval upgrade

Is there a timeline on this? Will the playing field be large enough for practice matches and VFL, or just the ladies?

Is there a timeline on this? Will the playing field be large enough for practice matches and VFL, or just the ladies?
In short? We don't know. Haven't been able to find a timeline or field dimensions and no mention of the VFL playing there as of yet.

In short? We don't know. Haven't been able to find a timeline or field dimensions and no mention of the VFL playing there as of yet.
Having a chat to one of the ladies at HQ in round 2, still a while off 2 years likely. The field will not be able to host VFL as the dimensions are too small but may hold AFLW games if capacity is likely to be low. We will also have the option of using the redeveloped Henson Park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back