Streaming New Star Trek series announced; Patrick Stewart to reprise his role as Jean-Luc Picard

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

If I were introducing Star Trek to a new audience potential it would be:
Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Voyager, then Next Gen, then Deep Space Nine

They didn't do it every episode and with the finesse of Star Trek, but SG1/Atlantis did a good job of dealing with moral issues as well.

That being said, Stargate on TV was largely inspired by TNG (words by the creator when talking about Picard S3) and far more in-line with Star Trek than the Expanse.

Last edited:
They didn't do it every episode and with the finesse of Star Trek, but SG1/Atlantis did a good job of dealing with moral issues as well.

That being said, Stargate on TV was largely inspired by TNG (words by the creator when talking about Picard S3) and far more in-line with Star Trek than the Expanse.

These shows show the value of veiling human stories in a different setting, allowing the discussion of modern issues from a non biased (mostly) external perspective.

English teachers in highschool did not agree.

Probably need to give The Expanse another go, just couldn't get into it.

It’s certainly worth persisting with IMO. Quality, darker adult aimed sci fi. Similar to Andor. The way it subtly escalated through seasons 2,3 and 4, outstanding.

It’s certainly worth persisting with IMO. Quality, darker adult aimed sci fi. Similar to Andor. The way it subtly escalated through seasons 2,3 and 4, outstanding.

I think I love Andor because I love the universe, not sure I have the patience otherwise, but I will try again.

I think I love Andor because I love the universe, not sure I have the patience otherwise, but I will try again.
Each season is around the 10 episode mark, so it's not too much of an investment. If you aren't into it partway through season 2, I'd say it's not for you, because by then, I loved it. I remember being underwhelmed by the first episode and gave up halfway through years ago, was then reminded of it, went back and enjoyed it.

Terry Matalas saying a spin-off hasn't been confirmed but he has a story in place already if it is. Interestingly, he says he has an idea for getting Shaw involved. Let's pray it's flashbacks and not some weird back-from-the-dead scenario.

Terry Matalas saying a spin-off hasn't been confirmed but he has a story in place already if it is. Interestingly, he says he has an idea for getting Shaw involved. Let's pray it's flashbacks and not some weird back-from-the-dead scenario.

I don't know why franchises keep writing themselves into this corner when he didn't need to die to begin with.

I don't know why franchises keep writing themselves into this corner when he didn't need to die to begin with.
They clearly wanted Seven to lead the spin-off and for his death and following endorsement to inspire her. But she still could have been the star of a spin-off without being the captain. as I said earlier, I reckon a trio of Shawn, Seven and Crusher is stronger than Seven, Raffi and Crusher.

Yes it didn’t have to be one or the other. There was definelty scope for a spin off including Shaw.
I can only assume they didn't realise how well Shaw would resonate with viewers. Was probably written up as a disposable character, but the actor really brought him to life. Would have been nice if someone recognised during filming how well the character was coming across and made some swift edits.

I can only assume they didn't realise how well Shaw would resonate with viewers. Was probably written up as a disposable character, but the actor really brought him to life. Would have been nice if someone recognised during filming how well the character was coming across and made some swift edits.

I think what you've said is most likely.

I guess they needed someone of note in the season to bite the bullet, not sure it should have been him though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wanted to suggest that but felt bad haha.

If anything, that would have been better for Seven leading into a spin off and would have had a closer connection to the previous seasons too.

Bit of a lost opportunity actually. Suppose they wanted at least one S1/S2 newbie to hang around. That being said wasn't really used much in S3 other than a vehicle for Worf to return.

This will probably be debunked as a possibility pretty easily, but I suppose they could bring in some BS that Section 31 have been around a while and faked his death so he could be used for a mission I suppose?

Would love a gritty Section 31 type show. One of many good things about DS9.

I wanted to suggest that but felt bad haha.

If anything, that would have been better for Seven leading into a spin off and would have had a closer connection to the previous seasons too.

Bit of a lost opportunity actually. Suppose they wanted at least one S1/S2 newbie to hang around. That being said wasn't really used much in S3 other than a vehicle for Worf to return.

This will probably be debunked as a possibility pretty easily, but I suppose they could bring in some BS that Section 31 have been around a while and faked his death so he could be used for a mission I suppose?

Would love a gritty Section 31 type show. One of many good things about DS9.
I read the other day that Section 31 with Michelle Yeoh has been repurposed from a series to streaming movie.

I read the other day that Section 31 with Michelle Yeoh has been repurposed from a series to streaming movie.

I think that's better. Not sure there's enough to sustain a series at this stage. That could change following a movie..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back