NFL NFL100 (2020) Hall of Fame class

Remove this Banner Ad

No to both.

IMO Flores and Coryell were more notable/did more for the game than Cowher did, but neither of them are in the media so seem to have been somewhat forgotten.
Staggered Coryell isn’t it, one of the most influential coaches ever. As for Flores isn’t a second SB in less years better?

As for Flores isn’t a second SB in less years better?
I'm confused as to what you are asking here, but I think you're saying Flores has a better record, which is true based on accolades but not win %.

Flores has 2 SBs as a HC, another as an assistant and yet another as a player. He was also the first minority HC to win a SB. He did this in 12 seasons, with a win % of .538

Cowher has 1 SB as a HC in 15 seasons with a win % of .623, but has also been on national TV since his retirement in 2007

Did Cowher do enough? Are all SB winning coaches in the HOF?
I've rated Cowher above Dungy due to him getting to two Superbowls through two different eras of the Steelers - the XXX Steelers, then the XL Steelers 10 years later. I understand the politics behind Dungys' selection, but reckon Cowher did a better job than Dungy, so I can't begrudge him his place in the Hall.
Dick Vermeil is in that mix too I reckon.

I'm confused as to what you are asking here, but I think you're saying Flores has a better record, which is true based on accolades but not win %.

Flores has 2 SBs as a HC, another as an assistant and yet another as a player. He was also the first minority HC to win a SB. He did this in 12 seasons, with a win % of .538

Cowher has 1 SB as a HC in 15 seasons with a win % of .623, but has also been on national TV since his retirement in 2007
Flores' record gets hurt by his poor seasons in Seattle. At the Raiders he had a 61% win record - while he went 14-34 in Seattle.
He kind of gets lost in history as he followed John Madden, was at the Raiders during the whole Al Davis LA/Oakland antitrust case and the off field took away a lot of what the Raiders were doing on field, but the Hall of Fame is sadly becoming more about the recent.

Coryell, while never having a Superbowl win, has been so influential in the modern NFL. His Air Coryell offense led to the shift of the league becoming a passing game, timing patterns and passing trees became part of the passing game and TEs became a receiving threat. Hall of Famer Joe Gibbs borrowed heavily from the Air Coryell offense.
How Coryell keeps getting overlooked for the Hall of Fame makes a further farce of the whole process, given how important his legacy has been to the game. Most modern voters probably look at his 3-6 playoff record and 57% winning percentage and pass him off as no good.

Another coach who I reckon deserves a look in is Dan Reeves. Yes, he didn't win a Superbowl, but he made 4 with two different franchises in a 12 year span, he has been a part of 9 Superbowls as player/coach (2nd to BB), has the 9th most wins of any HC (201), and he led one of the leagues best offenses as Dallas OC prior to being a HC. That's a pretty solid record.

But the voting process is flawed and it's going to make it harder and harder as years go by. Traditionally 3/4/5 people make it each year, but 30/40/50 people become eligible each year, the backlog will get worse. While we're seeing popular choices get in, we are seeing more deserving people miss out, possibly forever. Like Brasher said - it should be a question of are they worthy or not, then moving on to the next years eligibles.

Another coach who I reckon deserves a look in is Dan Reeves. Yes, he didn't win a Superbowl, but he made 4 with two different franchises in a 12 year span, he has been a part of 9 Superbowls as player/coach (2nd to BB), has the 9th most wins of any HC (201), and he led one of the leagues best offenses as Dallas OC prior to being a HC. That's a pretty solid record.
Wait what? Marv Levy with 4 Championships is in but Reeves with 4 over two teams and an All Pro player isn’t in it?? Crazy s**t

Did Cowher do enough? Are all SB winning coaches in the HOF?
No. Both coaches are just public enough to get votes. Homegren should be in over them. But that might also be personal bias.

Jimmy deserves it more than Cowher [unless you are the mind of Jerry Jones and anyone could of done the same or better with those rosters].

But most years there are people getting in over more deserving people just because they were nice or have media jobs that keeps them more public.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On drd23 point about James, of the players Ive seen/most qualified to give an opinion on, John Lynch and Reggie Wayne feel more like HOFs to me.

Atwater and Polomalu both get in over Butler. It was bad enough Dawkins get in over him.

Atwater is a HoF player, but not deserving over Butler.

There are some head scratching HoF class members this year with some recency bias and other bias because of players still in the spotlight because of national media jobs.

Butler is now the only member of the all 90's team not in the HoF [other than punter/returner]
I think he was also the first 20/20/10 player and only one not in the HoF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back