Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes he did. Hard to believe it was 20 years ago! Game has changed a lot since then. Nick doesn't have the breakaway speed Judd displays in this video. Judd was one touch, electric and noticeable. Even left Brereton speechless!

Different players, Nick is more silky and seems to be everywhere because he anticipates where the ball will be a half second before everyone else. Very smart footballer.

Judd is more of a contested, burst from the stoppage anaerobic freak. He was one touch like Neale and explosive like Dangerfield. Very unique player.

Daicos is the first receive player with probably the best decision making and field kicking in the competition. He is confident and bold enough to receive the ball in no space and his teammates and coach back him in to work it out.

He could easily play on-ball but I think his best work is off of half back or from a wing where he can be that extra midfielder who picks the right point and time to hit the stoppage to receive the loose ball.

I’m confident Daicos will be a generational talent, seen enough to be convinced of that.

Judd is more of a contested, burst from the stoppage anaerobic freak. He was one touch like Neale and explosive like Dangerfield. Very unique player.

Daicos is the first receive player with probably the best decision making and field kicking in the competition. He is confident and bold enough to receive the ball in no space and his teammates and coach back him in to work it out.

He could easily play on-ball but I think his best work is off of half back or from a wing where he can be that extra midfielder who picks the right point and time to hit the stoppage to receive the loose ball.

I’m confident Daicos will be a generational talent, seen enough to be convinced of that.
I love this thinking.

Comparisons are being made based on existing styles/player types, but Daicos will obviously be his own and that’s what the next young gun in 20 years time will be compared to and may not live up to with a like for like comparison.

Our game is looking bloody good in a sense of I haven’t seen so many potential superstars drafted as I have in the last few years. There’ll be a few bonafide superstars in 4-5 years time.

Other draftees? Rowell and Cadman have to go where they're told
Big deal? They get to play AFL football. Talking about it being unfair to be a high draft pick, earn potentially a huge amount of money and be a professional athlete is a bit ridiculous, what because you have to go live in Sydney or on the Gold Coast? This isn't a disadvantage to anyone but the most egocentric of individuals.
N.Daicos has been bloody good this year, but I feel that Darcy Moore has been better for the pies this year.

Both are guns though and pretty handy to have in your defense.
Darcy has been great but he has plenty of weaknesses, primarily is that he can be exposed when he has to be accountable one on one in the D50. He's fantastic when he gets to play off his man, and come in as the 3rd man for spoils or intercepts. The only player with arguments for more impactful than Nick has been De Goey IMO, but he's had one very down game and missed a game but his damage from the center square and forward has been invaluable. Pendles is right there also.

Can we please, pretty please, stop talking about possessions like it matters?

Aside from Super Coach or whatever that s*t is, in isolation a 'posession' means absolutely fu* all.
You're partly right. N Daicos works hard to get the ball. But he just about always puts the Pies into a better, more attacking position with his use of the ball.

S Walsh had 38 disposals over the weekend. Mainly in the back half and only gained 249m. So yes, disposals in isolation means 'fu** all'. But N Daicos makes most of them count. 9 score involvements, 2 goals, 80% efficiency, over 600m gained.

Shezzle is already doing it. He is averaging 30 possessions under clarko in his first year
You do realise playing in a bottom team the ball is flying into norths backline a lot 🧐🤨. If I played for north’s backline I would get 40 as I’m an elite chip eating seagull.

Is an absolute ripper, a fun player to watch play the game and seems like a good dude as well.
On the F/S debate, even if he played for my cats, it wouldn't seem right to see a Daicos running round for any team other than the Collingwoods.

In his second year he had 17 and kicked 5. Was against 2 Brownlow medalists, but none the less, bloody decent game for a second year player.

From memory he kicked all 5 in the first half, and most of them were on the run goals at high speed. Peak WC era Chris Judd was something else. The early-mid career chronic injuries really robbed him of his explosiveness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unbelievable that the best kid since Chris Judd is a F/S for Collingwood who are a premiership contender. I think the AFL will increase the amount of draft picks/points that club needs to use to match the bid for starters they can get rid of the F/S discount
So when we get lucky the rules have to change? Wouldn’t surprise me actually, can’t have Collingwood getting a leg up, ok for the Cats to have Ablett Junior, Scarlet and Hawkins though.

What goes around comes around, I wasn’t happy when the Cats got Ablett by

So when we get lucky the rules have to change? Wouldn’t surprise me actually, can’t have Collingwood getting a leg up, ok for the Cats to have Ablett Junior, Scarlet and Hawkins though.
I agree with ya

Koby Bewick (Son of Darren) is suposdley a future number 1 pick and a gun what's the bet the AFL will change the F/S rules right when Essendon could have a generational talent lols

Unbelievable that the best kid since Chris Judd is a F/S for Collingwood who are a premiership contender. I think the AFL will increase the amount of draft picks/points that club needs to use to match the bid for starters they can get rid of the F/S discount
Pies finished 17th the year they drafted Daicos, almost could have drafted him with their own pick and also had the decency to trade out pick two for nothing to make it fair

True i just think the AFL could change the rules
It’s too random and uncommon to be an issue I think for example Josh Daicos came from the same set of parents and wasn’t even bid on, maybe shouldn’t be a discount but really that’s just a few extra late picks that aren’t hard to come by

The Gary Ablett comparisons are hilarious, honestly.

The only thing he has in common with Gary is they are the same height, get a ton of the ball, kick it well. (And of course comes from famous lineage).

Gary was a tank, just like his old man. Sinewy.

Daicos does not have the speed or power of Ablett, which ultimately is what has made all the great midfielders of the past 20 years what they were.

There's a fair bit of "Matt Rowell" about Daicos.

Junior player who was waaay more prepared for the rigours of AFL when he came into it and as a result is playing much closer to his ceiling than the rest of his contemporaries.

If tagging ever comes back into vogue he will be one of those players like Sloane and Selwood who got held to 10 touches every time they got tagged as he is too small to shake off a physical tagger.

Is he in uncharted territory as far as his impact at this stage of his career?

Yes, absolutely.

But the eye test will clearly tell you, this kid ain't ever getting close Gary Ablett levels - a player who went into the Brownlow 4 times as the consensus favourite to win, and was robbed a further time when his shoulder blew out.

Once the honey moon period wears off, and football becomes more of a grind rather than a euphoric experience of achieving new highs every game, he will revert back to his mean, which is still a super player, but Zach Merret on steroids is not the "next Gary Ablett junior".

Not even close.

The kid is a jet. Probably the best kick in the league and his decision making is great, his work ethic is great and he has great balance. His contested work needs work but what he is still killing opposition outside of the contest. His disposal numbers obviously don't tell the full story as he does take a lot of kickouts plus the pies simply go out of their way to give hm the ball but I don't blame them.

I'd like to see a team tag him first though before going early on him. He hasn't really faced a proper tag. For the majority of the game no attention is put into him. No rough stuff, nothing. It's been pretty pathetic by opposition coaches at the lack of work that they put into Daicos. They're obsessed about 'system' lol

Absolute gun, will be a superstar, getting close, if not already. He has it all, endurance, footy IQ, sublime skills, once his body becomes bigger, stronger he will be unstoppable, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back