Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in order to prove your point about Nick Daicos' start to his career being not that impressive you needed to compare him to Tony Lockett, the greatest forward to ever play the game and Leigh Matthews, arguable the greatest player to play the game ... Gotcha.
Firstly, I've never said the start to Nick's career wasn't impressive. It's outstanding. Feel better ?

Secondly, I was asked this question, ''Tell me who's had a 'best ever' first 40 games ahead of N. Daicos, who wasn't a mature ager?''

I then gave the answer you've misguidedly quoted.

In your mind, if I didn't answer the question I'd be dodging the question and when I do answer the question you're annoyed that I answered the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
So when I compared Daicos’s stats to Williams, you called it ‘absurd’ as they played in different eras. Then straight after you’re comparing Nick Daicos to Lockett and his dad kicking 70 odd goals like it’s the same era and it’s completely normal for ANYONE to kick 70 goals in today’s game.

Even the very best forwards in our game, in their absolute prime, are unlikely to kick 70 goals today. We’ve had it once in the last 10+ years where as 70 wouldn’t have even won you a Coleman for about 40 years prior to 2011. Completely different era back then. Much easier to kick 70 odd goals as a FF.

Make up your mind - we can share stats from different eras or we can’t depending on if it suits your argument?
There are flaws in using stats from different eras to directly compare individual players. Comparing disposal stats when games averaged 250-300 disposals per game in one era with another era where disposal stats average 350-400 per game skews the data. Surely, you understand this concept ?

But it doen't mean they can't be used when analysing a player's career. They're just not good for direct comparisons with players of completely different eras. How many half forwards in the 80s kicked 76 goals as a teenager like Peter Daicos ? They didn't, which is why it was mentioned as a significant feat.

It shouldn't be hard to fathom.

Clearly, you're a complete dolt with outstandingly limited comprehension skills.

Firstly, I've never said the start to Nick's career wasn't impressive. It's outstanding. Feel better ?

Secondly, I was asked this question, ''Tell me who's had a 'best ever' first 40 games ahead of N. Daicos, who wasn't a mature ager?''

I then gave the answer you've misguidedly quoted.

In your mind, if I didn't answer the question I'd be dodging the question and when I do answer the question you're annoyed that I answered the question.

You realise you're an idiot, don't you ?
I understand mate, Lockett and Matthews were very good answers, any other living legends you want to put up as nudging Nick Daicos first 40 games?

As a Pies supporter who has watched his evolution closely in the first 40 games, I can tell you he is already no longer the same player who debuted last year. Absolutely, he was out of his depth in the strength department, thus the purely outside, uncontested possession game, but I’ve noticed it more this year, and a lot more in the last month or so that his strength has clearly improved.

He holds tackles more, he shrugs tackles abit better and is going in harder than what people may think if going by what they saw last year.

Watch him closely and you’ll see the strength has gotten better and will only improve after another year in the system.

He’s deceptively strong now for a player his size.
Wasn’t a criticism, he is incredible at what he does and is the best in the AFL imo. I was more pointing to the criticism feeling like it is directed at him because he isn’t that explosive ablett judd type mid. People seem to expect that or throw criticism when being classified the best.

Woewodin won it in 2000, Hardie won it in 1985, Bedford won it in 1970… you can go further back and judge different winners as ‘not worthy’ in hindsight. Doesn’t make it worth any less.

Whether Daicos wins it this year or not, it’s still the most prestigious individual award in football along side the Norm Smith medal.

I always thought the coaches award should be rated higher until I started paying more attention to the votes and noticed coaches don’t always give the right players the 54321, and will sometimes give it to their own player.

I remember one stuff up a couple of years back where Jezza Cameron tore Collingwood apart and 5 votes were given to Darcy Cameron. They don’t always give it much thought when they do the vote, understandably, as they’d have more important things on their mind post game.

The gloss is off the Brownlow. GAJ retired with two brownlows. Should’ve been 5. Oliver was the best player by 10 miles the past two years - hasn’t won one. The Brownlow isn’t a reflection of the leagues best player. Sometimes they do get it right. Daicos would be stiff not to win it, considering he’s not only played well, but hasn’t missed games.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The gloss is off the Brownlow. GAJ retired with two brownlows. Should’ve been 5. Oliver was the best player by 10 miles the past two years - hasn’t won one. The Brownlow isn’t a reflection of the leagues best player. Sometimes they do get it right. Daicos would be stiff not to win it, considering he’s not only played well, but hasn’t missed games.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Garry would have easily 3 brownlows if he didn’t get injured in 2014…. Lost by 4 votes playing only 15 games.

Garry would have easily 3 brownlows if he didn’t get injured in 2014…. Lost by 4 votes playing only 15 games.
Missed games hurt him a lot over the years. Missed 4 games in 2008 was 2 votes behind the winner. Missed 2 games in 2012 was 2 votes behind the eventual winners. To go alongside definitely winning in 2014 if he plays a full season.

That shoulder injury did also start him on a big run of injuries. Where he played well in 2015-17 when he got on the park. He just rarely did.

There are flaws in using stats from different eras to directly compare individual players. Comparing disposal stats when games averaged 250-300 disposals per game in one era with another era where disposal stats average 350-400 per game skews the data. Surely, you understand this concept ?

Comparing disposals with disposals is a no no, but comparing goals with disposals is ok. Cool, got it.

My point still stands, you called it ‘absurd’ when I did it, then you do it yourself and try arguing semantics instead of just owning your stuff up.

But it doen't mean they can't be used when analysing a player's career. They're just not good for direct comparisons with players of completely different eras. How many half forwards in the 80s kicked 76 goals as a teenager like Peter Daicos ? They didn't, which is why it was mentioned as a significant feat.

And how many players in Nick’s era, or EVER in the game have produced the numbers that Nick has in their first two seasons?

Even Judd’s second year produced 15 possessions a game less than what Daicos is producing now. Who else do you want to compare him to?

I don't understand how Lockett and Daicos Sr’s feat infront of goal can be measured against Nick Daicos as a midfielder yet you refuse to compare Diesel Williams in disposals v disposals because ‘it was a different era’.

It shouldn't be hard to fathom.

There’s no need for the condescension just because you and I don’t see eye to eye on this. You’re no more right than I am.

Comparing disposals with disposals is a no no, but comparing goals with disposals is ok. Cool, got it.

My point still stands, you called it ‘absurd’ when I did it, then you do it yourself and try arguing semantics instead of just owning your stuff up.

And how many players in Nick’s era, or EVER in the game have produced the numbers that Nick has in their first two seasons?

Even Judd’s second year produced 15 possessions a game less than what Daicos is producing now. Who else do you want to compare him to?

I don't understand how Lockett and Daicos Sr’s feat infront of goal can be measured against Nick Daicos as a midfielder yet you refuse to compare Diesel Williams in disposals v disposals because ‘it was a different era’.

There’s no need for the condescension just because you and I don’t see eye to eye on this. You’re no more right than I am.
Firstly, where have I compared disposals with goals from different eras ? I haven't. Use quotes in your response.

Secondly, I've said nothing about what Nick Daicos has achieved in his first 2 seasons. Maybe your post should be targeted at others ? I did point out that he has 100 disposals from kick-ins, but that was merely a fact that was shared. Hopefully facts don't hurt your feelings.

Firstly, where have I compared disposals with goals from different eras ? I haven't. Use quotes in your response.

Secondly, I've said nothing about what Nick Daicos has achieved in his first 2 seasons. Maybe your post should be targeted at others ? I did point out that he has 100 disposals from kick-ins, but that was merely a fact that was shared. Hopefully facts don't hurt your feelings.
How is that a negative? He kicks in and often follows up with a recieve and gains double the territory. They put the ball in his hands because hes a sublime user. This dumb narrative that taking kick ins detracts from his game is one of the more brain dead criticisms of him but when your grasping at straws you make use of what you can

How is that a negative? He kicks in and often follows up with a recieve and gains double the territory. They put the ball in his hands because hes a sublime user. This dumb narrative that taking kick ins detracts from his game is one of the more brain dead criticisms of him but when your grasping at straws you make use of what you can
When did I say it was a negative ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is going to be bigger than the Dusty GOAT thread. The level of delusion is off the charts. 1 and 3/4 season GOAT already and the Pendles top 4 since 2000 is a hair behind.

So what is it exactly about Peter Daicos and Lockett’s achievements in their first 2 seasons are you comparing with Nick Daicos?

You’re the one who mentioned them.

Why are you deflecting again? I’m responding to you because you called it absurd of me to compare Diesel’s achievements with Daicos because they’re from different eras.

Then straight after, you compared the achievements of 2 other players from that very same era with Nick.

If there’s anyone whose feelings seem hurt, it’s yours because you just don’t want to acknowledge you’ve been owned.

This is going to be bigger than the Dusty GOAT thread. The level of delusion is off the charts. 1 and 3/4 season GOAT already and the Pendles top 4 since 2000 is a hair behind.
No rational supporter believes hes the GOAT you nimrod. Go and dry hump your Dusty body pillow to calm down a bit

haha, dusty and Oliver have never shirked a contest though. That stuff sticks.
Only with mouth breathers who would rather clutch at straws than acknowledge they’re seeing something special.
Daicos is a great young player but you're talking about him as if Collingwood put hard work into developing him or picked a diamond in the rough at the draft. He was gifted to you by the afl due to a deeply flawed father/son rule that will change one day.

It's no different to Brisbane rising up the ladder due to Ashcroft and Fletcher this season as well as the future Ashcroft. It's all pot luck. nothing to do with the club.
Go suck on a lemon and eat some more sour grapes. The FS rule won’t change. It’s one of the wonderfully unique parts of the AFL.

How many AFLCA MVPs has May or any AA KPD ever won? Check the list of winners and try telling me the winners lists are any different to the Brownlow. Yet by your logic, you place more value to that award than the Brownlow? Why?

Marc Murphy and Dan Hannebery have won that award. Yet you’re here questioning Wines and Cripps for winning the Brownlow. Maybe, just maybe, the best players in almost every season ARE midfielders.
It’s the classic BF attitude. “X award isn’t worth anything unless the best player in my team wins it, and then it’s the award to get.”

Even his quiet games he is among the best on the field and will often just flick a switch.

Midfielders who kick goals as midfielders and not resting forwards are just invaluable. In terms of most valuable players in the league it is Nick 1st with daylight rounding out the top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back