AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others who have coached women's footy have commented over time (including today), coaching women's footballers is a different skill-set. You sacked someone with years of experience of coaching Youth Girls and women's football, in favour of a novice in the women's space - who to be frank, won't have the AFLW has top of his mind.

But like I said early, previously North had done a lot of positive things in the women's footy space - this today is just baffling and wrong.

You know this for a fact do you?

I'm calling bullshit on the idea that Darren Crocker won't have his job as AFLW coach at the "top of his mind" (unfathomably ignorant insult by somebody who shouldn't try to speak for the "women's footy community"). This restructure is identical to what several other clubs already have. Adelaide made the same move 12 months after winning a premiership. Then they won a second premiership. So don't even think about using that argument.

Yes there will be things Crock won't do as well as Scott, just as the opposite will be true. Sure it's also true that Gowans' presence was a large reason for why we were able to attract such a strong list, but if the players are more loyal to one person than the club at this point then that's a failing within North's culture stretching beyond a single decision.

Didn't like it when we delisted our leading goal-kicker either, but we made it work.

I know it's hard, but I'd like the club to be a little more transparent during these times. It doesn't make sense why Gowans was let go, but I'm sure the club has good reasons.

How are we financially faring during COVID? What is going to happen to the Tassie partnership? How many senior staff have been let go? How much are we borrowing to stay afloat?

The AFL today wrote to all clubs to advise the AFL Women’s Sign and Trade Period is scheduled to commence on Monday August 3, 2020.

During this period, Clubs will be permitted to sign up to 27 players.
So, unless this is a miscommunication (never know with the AFL), some good news there in bold. Previous seasons it's been 22. This theoretically means we'll at least avoid having to make a few (more) tough cuts.

So, unless this is a miscommunication (never know with the AFL), some good news there in bold. Previous seasons it's been 22. This theoretically means we'll at least avoid having to make a few (more) tough cuts.
Not bad, and I’m assuming lists are still 30 so only need to take 3 draft picks after signing the max 27

I know it's hard, but I'd like the club to be a little more transparent during these times. It doesn't make sense why Gowans was let go, but I'm sure the club has good reasons.

How are we financially faring during COVID? What is going to happen to the Tassie partnership? How many senior staff have been let go? How much are we borrowing to stay afloat?
The answer to all of those questions is "it's too early to tell". What we can tell by this decision is that it's not going to be pretty. If the senior coach of the AFLW team can be cut to save money, there aren't too many positions that are safe.

How have the players taken the news that their coach has been sacked to keep the job of one of the boys?

From all reports, the players all love Darren Crocker, who has been the architect of integrating the AFLW team into the one-club-four-teams program.

Meanwhile, we await the results of DNA testing to determine whether or not outgoing coach Scott Gowans is also technically male and therefore one of the boys. We promise to get back to you on that one.

I can easily find 6 to delist
1. Chloe Haines
2. Libby Haines
3: Jess Trend
4. Emma Humphries
5. Taylor Mesiti (don’t mind her though)
6. Bannister (redraft after delisting)
3 gone off senior list Haines x 2 and Mesiti (stiff) plus 1 international rookie sheoghe

Technically we don’t have to delist anyone else and can just pick up 3 new players in the draft

But still feel there’s a few above we can cull if we want to bring others in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 gone off senior list Haines x 2 and Mesiti (stiff) plus 1 international rookie sheoghe

Technically we don’t have to delist anyone else and can just pick up 3 new players in the draft

But still feel there’s a few above we can cull if we want to bring others in
Happy to see Gilroy not on the list. Hopefully she will decide to return next season.

Also Duffin will return (hopefully), so we may need to delist another.

Mesiti's delisting was prompted by her decision to "step away from the game" fwiw. Won't need to delist another if Duffin plays, rather we'll have to draft another if she doesn't.

Regarding the retention of players, Ashmore should prove to be the most interesting case after she somewhat puzzlingly only signed a one-year deal in 2019. And you can never take re-signings for granted, particularly in the AFLW with players who are from interstate/national (Elisha King, Gilroy) or have played VFLW at other clubs (Gavalas, Wright). But I don't think we would've already cut down to 27 if any of those players weren't intending to come back in 2021.

There's also still Riddell to sweat on, simply because she'd be our most in-demand out-of-contract player. I would be floored if she doesn't re-sign with us, however.

More handouts for the minnows.
Also, confirmation that our first pick in the draft will be at 13, which is the 7th selection from the Vic Metro zone. Funnily enough, it's technically earlier than what we had last year (although we ended up with a steal in Gavalas anyway).

I know the draft in the women’s game is compromised in many ways but they need to stop interfering with it. Have we even had a top 10 pick ever?

I think the answer is that expansion in 2020 was the only reason the Kangaroos didn't get a top 10 pick in the 2019 draft. Arguably those picks should have gone ONLY to the expansion clubs so they wouldn't struggle in the first few years.

I am not sure why the lack of a top 10 pick for the 2020 draft would be an issue. North Melbourne were arguably the best or 2nd best side in the comp and the fact that the comp was not completed does not change that.

Do you want North Melbourne to get Pick 1 and Richmond to get Pick 14, drafts don't work that way. If you want a top 10 pick trade out a top player and get one as Carlton did with Davey, then using that to draft McEvoy.

In seriousness I think North Melbourne were extremely fortunate to be in the first expansion group and while they executed very well the fact that their fellow expansion team went for a long term build meant the Kangaroos got the pick of the ready made playing talent. This was not true for the Saints and Richmond despite Richmond getting a couple of big names.

In a truly effective salary capped league clubs would be throwing big money at the Kangaroos players to jump ship, I think the low salaries in general for the Women's players is a major difference that helps them to keep such a strong team together.

I don't think North Melbourne will be getting a top 10 pick anytime soon but I am sure all AFLW fans would rather have a successful team than one earning high end draft picks every season simply though being shite.

I know the draft in the women’s game is compromised in many ways but they need to stop interfering with it. Have we even had a top 10 pick ever?

End of first round picks for 2 struggling sides will barely make a difference to the other teams while helping the bottom clubs improve. As a fan of the comp as opposed to viewing it through club allegiance (I follow North Melbourne in the Women's) it is the right move.

Unless it is your own team involved who wants to watch TV or streamed matches where the top teams are winning easily (by 6 plus goals) or the poorer teams having to play ugly boring footy just to keep the scoreline close ?

End of first round picks for 2 struggling sides will barely make a difference to the other teams while helping the bottom clubs improve. As a fan of the comp as opposed to viewing it through club allegiance (I follow North Melbourne in the Women's) it is the right move.

Unless it is your own team involved who wants to watch TV or streamed matches where the top teams are winning easily (by 6 plus goals) or the poorer teams having to play ugly boring footy just to keep the scoreline close ?
If we had won a premiership I would probably agree but I feel we’ve been denied in unusual circumstances the last couple of years after entering the comp with a plan for early success. Other teams like Richmond have gone in with a different longer term approach and instead of letting it play out they get propped up. When our older players retire in due course will they hand out first round selections as readily? I don’t think so.

It's a misnomer that other expansion teams chose a long-term list build approach. They all tried to go as hard as we did, just didn't have as much success (Geelong couldn't even lure their most promising local product away from the Dees, despite their best efforts).

The league's free-for-all Employment Agreements clause actually makes it easier for the big clubs to buy players. Collingwood made Brianna Davey a huge offer that Carlton couldn't match, they could certainly do the same for Ash Riddell. That would require the Pies to admit they were wrong to overlook Riddell in the draft though (like how they passed on Erin Phillips as a father-daughter selection, then tried to throw money at her after she trounced them... what a pack of dummies).

It's a misnomer that other expansion teams chose a long-term list build approach. They all tried to go as hard as we did, just didn't have as much success (Geelong couldn't even lure their most promising local product away from the Dees, despite their best efforts).

The league's free-for-all Employment Agreements clause actually makes it easier for the big clubs to buy players. Collingwood made Brianna Davey a huge offer that Carlton couldn't match, they could certainly do the same for Ash Riddell. That would require the Pies to admit they were wrong to overlook Riddell in the draft though (like how they passed on Erin Phillips as a father-daughter selection, then tried to throw money at her after she trounced them... what a pack of dummies).
What exactly does the Employment Agreements clause contain?

What exactly does the Employment Agreements clause contain?
The current CBA says this:
Employment Agreement means an agreement between a Player and the AFL, a Club or an Associate of a Club to perform duties that are outside the scope of the CBA as provided in clause 11.4.

11.4 Employment Agreements
(a) A Player may enter into an Employment Agreement with her Club and/or with the AFL, which is in addition to and separate from her employment as a professional football player.

(b) Employment Agreements must:
(i) be in writing;
(ii) represent bona fide commercially based arrangements; and
(iii) be lodged with the AFL within 28 days of the date of the signing of the contract by the parties.

(c) If further information is required by the AFL in respect of an Employment Agreement, the Player must provide the information within seven (7) days of a request.
...and nothing else. No limit on how much a player can be paid, no limit on the number of players who can enter into one. Up to the AFL to determine what deals are legit, which there is no question in the case of Emma Kearney's position at The Huddle, as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back