AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a prediction for next year: Daisy Bateman to become our best forward.
Fair call. Flown under the radar with her improvement this year and all the media focus on the midfield. She and Abba benefited from Mo Hope moving on, I reckon.

Daisy had the same number of score involvements as Stanton, Paxman, Molloy, and one more than Darcy Vescio, from only 8dpg. Sneakily good contested mark, good work rate, reliable in front of goal. Still only 20.

Fair call. Flown under the radar with her improvement this year and all the media focus on the midfield. She and Abba benefited from Mo Hope moving on, I reckon.

Daisy had the same number of score involvements as Stanton, Paxman, Molloy, and one more than Darcy Vescio, from only 8dpg. Sneakily good contested mark, good work rate, reliable in front of goal. Still only 20.

Daisy in beast mode and Mia King when she gets that death stare happening, are going to really * some opponents up once they get a little stronger.

NORTH Melbourne talked the talk and then walked the walk in 2020.

The Roos were a premiership fancy before round one, and lost just a solitary match for the shortened season, by two points to Melbourne in round one.

Over the next few weeks, womens.afl will look at each of the seasons of the 14 AFLW teams, kicking off proceedings with Adelaide and moving alphabetically from there.

Coach: Scott Gowans

Leadership group: Emma Kearney (captain), Jasmine Garner (vice-captain), Britt Gibson, Emma King

2020 finishing position: First in Conference A, five wins, one loss, 227.2%. Qualified for a preliminary final against Carlton.

Best win: North Melbourne 5.4 (34) defeated Collingwood 5.2 (32), semi-final.
It was a nail-biting win over a dogged opponent in the team's first finals appearance. The Magpies skipped out to a 10-point lead at half-time before the Roos responded and weathered the frantic final minutes.

Play Video
AFLW Match Highlights: North Melbourne v Collingwood
05:03MAR 21. 2020. 2:33 PM
The Kangaroos and Magpies clash in a semi-final of the AFLW
  • Share via Facebook
  • Share via Twitter
  • Share via copyLink copied to clipboard
Best individual performance: Jasmine Garner is one of the favourites for the league best and fairest for a reason. Her match against Geelong was something special. Well held in the first quarter, she was instrumental in the Roos coming back from an 18-point deficit, and finished with 18 disposals, six marks, six clearances and three goals.

Club best and fairest candidates: Jasmine Garner, Emma Kearney, Ash Riddell, Jenna Bruton

NAB AFLW Rising Star nominations: Nil

Debutants: Ellie Gavalas, Aileen Gilroy, Abbey Green, Mia King, Vivien Saad, Sarah Wright

Most improved: It could only be Jasmine Garner. We hadn't seen the best of the Roo at AFLW up until this year, although she had put in a strong body of work at VFLW level. In conjunction with a move to the midfield, Garner's average disposals rose from 13 to 20 and total goals from five to eight.

Star recruit: A flood of Irish players made the trip across to Australia for the 2020 season, and one of the most effective was Aileen Gilroy. She slotted in well across half-back, where her speed, big kick and tough tackling were brought to the fore.

Play Video
Irish recruit Gilroy makes her presence known on debut
00:23FEB 8. 2020. 4:35 PM
Roos' Irish debutante Aileen Gilroy introduces herself to Aliesha Newman with a crunching tackle over the boundary
  • Share via Facebook
  • Share via Twitter
Unsung hero: Key defender Tahlia Randall has improved season on season since starting at Brisbane in 2017 as an 18-year-old. The key defender is often tasked with the opposition's biggest forward threat.

What worked:

- Having previously spent the vast majority of her AFLW career forward, Jasmine Garner was a lethal threat in the midfield. Her clearance work and booming kick was crucial in the Roos' success throughout the season.

- North Melbourne's midfield as a whole was comfortably the best in the competition. Having lost Jamie Stanton to Gold Coast, the Roos brought in top-10 pick Ellie Gavalas and regained a fully fit Ash Riddell. The depth was impossible to match, there was no let up for opposition sides as players rotated through.

What needs improvement:

- Two-time All Australian ruck Emma King proved she could be a valuable forward last year, but battled in 2020 to have her say in matches. She looked most threatening when rotated through the ruck, and while Kate Gillespie-Jones held her own when on the ball, the inexperienced Vivien Saad struggled.

Play Video
Kearney canters clear to connect with King
00:46FEB 29. 2020. 7:19 PM
Emma Kearney breaks away down the wing to set up Emma King for a much needed Kangaroos goal
  • Share via Facebook
  • Share via Twitter
Season in a song: Playing to Win (Little River Band & John Farnham). Coach Gowans was unequivocal in his pre-season proclamation the Roos were aiming for a premiership in 2020, and the players backed it up on the field.

Early call for 2021: North Melbourne should once again be a serious flag contender. It's a shame we didn't get to see the preliminary final battle against Carlton, it was shaping to be one of the matches of the year.

Season rating: 9/10

NORTH Melbourne talked the talk and then walked the walk in 2020.

The Roos were a premiership fancy before round one, and lost just a solitary match for the shortened season, by two points to Melbourne in round one.

Over the next few weeks, womens.afl will look at each of the seasons of the 14 AFLW teams, kicking off proceedings with Adelaide and moving alphabetically from there.

Coach: Scott Gowans

Leadership group: Emma Kearney (captain), Jasmine Garner (vice-captain), Britt Gibson, Emma King

2020 finishing position: First in Conference A, five wins, one loss, 227.2%. Qualified for a preliminary final against Carlton.

Best win: North Melbourne 5.4 (34) defeated Collingwood 5.2 (32), semi-final.
It was a nail-biting win over a dogged opponent in the team's first finals appearance. The Magpies skipped out to a 10-point lead at half-time before the Roos responded and weathered the frantic final minutes.

Play Video
AFLW Match Highlights: North Melbourne v Collingwood
05:03MAR 21. 2020. 2:33 PM
The Kangaroos and Magpies clash in a semi-final of the AFLW
  • Share via Facebook
  • Share via Twitter
Best individual performance: Jasmine Garner is one of the favourites for the league best and fairest for a reason. Her match against Geelong was something special. Well held in the first quarter, she was instrumental in the Roos coming back from an 18-point deficit, and finished with 18 disposals, six marks, six clearances and three goals.

Club best and fairest candidates: Jasmine Garner, Emma Kearney, Ash Riddell, Jenna Bruton

NAB AFLW Rising Star nominations: Nil

Debutants: Ellie Gavalas, Aileen Gilroy, Abbey Green, Mia King, Vivien Saad, Sarah Wright

Most improved: It could only be Jasmine Garner. We hadn't seen the best of the Roo at AFLW up until this year, although she had put in a strong body of work at VFLW level. In conjunction with a move to the midfield, Garner's average disposals rose from 13 to 20 and total goals from five to eight.

Star recruit: A flood of Irish players made the trip across to Australia for the 2020 season, and one of the most effective was Aileen Gilroy. She slotted in well across half-back, where her speed, big kick and tough tackling were brought to the fore.

Play Video
Irish recruit Gilroy makes her presence known on debut
00:23FEB 8. 2020. 4:35 PM
Roos' Irish debutante Aileen Gilroy introduces herself to Aliesha Newman with a crunching tackle over the boundary
  • Share via Facebook
  • Share via Twitter
Unsung hero: Key defender Tahlia Randall has improved season on season since starting at Brisbane in 2017 as an 18-year-old. The key defender is often tasked with the opposition's biggest forward threat.

What worked:

- Having previously spent the vast majority of her AFLW career forward, Jasmine Garner was a lethal threat in the midfield. Her clearance work and booming kick was crucial in the Roos' success throughout the season.

- North Melbourne's midfield as a whole was comfortably the best in the competition. Having lost Jamie Stanton to Gold Coast, the Roos brought in top-10 pick Ellie Gavalas and regained a fully fit Ash Riddell. The depth was impossible to match, there was no let up for opposition sides as players rotated through.

What needs improvement:

- Two-time All Australian ruck Emma King proved she could be a valuable forward last year, but battled in 2020 to have her say in matches. She looked most threatening when rotated through the ruck, and while Kate Gillespie-Jones held her own when on the ball, the inexperienced Vivien Saad struggled.

Play Video
Kearney canters clear to connect with King
00:46FEB 29. 2020. 7:19 PM
Emma Kearney breaks away down the wing to set up Emma King for a much needed Kangaroos goal
  • Share via Facebook
  • Share via Twitter
Season in a song: Playing to Win (Little River Band & John Farnham). Coach Gowans was unequivocal in his pre-season proclamation the Roos were aiming for a premiership in 2020, and the players backed it up on the field.

Early call for 2021: North Melbourne should once again be a serious flag contender. It's a shame we didn't get to see the preliminary final battle against Carlton, it was shaping to be one of the matches of the year.

Season rating: 9/10
The article is from the AFLW site where you can watch the videos.

Found this on the Women's game website yesterday afternoon, their All-Australian Team for season 2020. Four NMFC girls made the final list, Garner at Half Forward, Bruton at Half Back and Kearney and Riddell on the bench.

The Womens Game's AFLW All-Australian Team

Found this on the Women's game website yesterday afternoon, their All-Australian Team for season 2020. Four NMFC girls made the final list, Garner at Half Forward, Bruton at Half Back and Kearney and Riddell on the bench.

The Womens Game's AFLW All-Australian Team

I'd like to think my chat about Jazzy, Jenna and Ash in the Inside Sport slack helped get them over the line a little, haha.

Truth of the matter is they all deserved to be there and plenty of people who slept on the Roo girls are starting to wake up (not saying the author of this piece was though!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS Garner and Bruton are midfielders!

I don't think there's a big issue with Garner as a forward (considering she's played a significant chunk of her AFLW career there and continued to do so in 2020 to some extent - Gowans saw her value forward as much as in the guts).

Bruton being "squeezed" to halfback I kinda pragmatically get (she's not getting a spot ahead of Paxman or Prespakis for example) but I agree that actually describing her as a halfback is pretty sloppy.

Haha yeah I got it, just laughed in my head when I first read it.
Thanks for your input during the season, it is good to get fresh perspectives.

Well if I can inadvertently get a laugh out of a post, all the better, haha.

Yeah cheers, thanks again for accommodating me. Been a pleasure :thumbsu:

I don't think there's a big issue with Garner as a forward (considering she's played a significant chunk of her AFLW career there and continued to do so in 2020 to some extent - Gowans saw her value forward as much as in the guts).

Bruton being "squeezed" to halfback I kinda pragmatically get (she's not getting a spot ahead of Paxman or Prespakis for example) but I agree that actually describing her as a halfback is pretty sloppy.

It is to me. She plays as a mid so put her in the midfield.

It is to me. She plays as a mid so put her in the midfield.
I noticed watching a few replays, when she not in the middle at the centre bounce, she is starts from the half back line and during throws in she starts on the defensive side. Also, she very rarely spends time on the bench, so when she "rests" it's generally at the defensive end. She is absolute class and deserves to be in the All-Australian side, and I don't think the halfback line is too big an issue considering her style of play.

I noticed watching a few replays, when she not in the middle at the centre bounce, she is starts from the half back line and during throws in she starts on the defensive side. Also, she very rarely spends time on the bench, so when she "rests" it's generally at the defensive end. She is absolute class and deserves to be in the All-Australian side, and I don't think the halfback line is too big an issue considering her style of play.
I’d be more offended if she missed the squad

I’d be more offended if she missed the squad
Absolutely. She sort of gets forgotten a little because she plays alongside Kearney who is a very skilled midfielder and is probably the most determined competitor in the AFLW, Garner who had one of the most complete seasons in the AFLW's short history and Riddell who blew everyone away in her first full season, and yet Bruton is our reigning Club Best & Fairest.

I just saw Ashmore at the shops. She is a real looker in person. Great footballer, complete package.

She said hi (probably because I was wearing a North polo at the time) and I said shame how the season panned out. Security walked past and told us to separate and keep the 1.5-metre distance. Then it was an awkward moment and we went our separate ways. Before she went down the next aisle she turned and smiled.

Covid19 ruined an opportunity for two North icons to fall in love. Oh well, a small sacrifice to make for the health and well-being of Australia.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back