No NRL Expansion as NRL sign new TV deal

Remove this Banner Ad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_George_(Sydney)

South Melbourne name was changed when they moved to Sydney. The same would happen to the Dragons if they went to the Gong.

St Geaorge is not a suburb at all but an area, the same as South Queensland or Sunraysia. It's Kograh.

So what you're saying is that South Melbourne Swans moved to Sydney and changed their whole identity straight away, just as the LA Rams have?
St george was and still is the Illawarra side of Rugby League, before the Steelers were admitted the Wollongong district was linked with the Dragons.

St Geaorge is not a suburb at all but an area, the same as South Queensland or Sunraysia. It's Kograh.
It's still a place just like you asked. I just gave you a little idea on what is classified St George.
So what you're saying is that South Melbourne Swans moved to Sydney and changed their whole identity straight away, just as the LA Rams have?
South Melbourne moved and adopted the Swans and Sydney moniker. They had the same colours as South Melbourne so that isn't like the LA Rams concept. Although the current Rams have an alternate kit which is a nod to the old Rams, similar to how the current Dragons set up wears their blood and bandages kit for heritage round.
St george was and still is the Illawarra side of Rugby League, before the Steelers were admitted the Wollongong district was linked with the Dragons.
The use of linked there is a strong word. Linked as it was speculated and that it never actually happened.

It's still a place just like you asked. I just gave you a little idea on what is classified St George.

South Melbourne moved and adopted the Swans and Sydney moniker. They had the same colours as South Melbourne so that isn't like the LA Rams concept. Although the current Rams have an alternate kit which is a nod to the old Rams, similar to how the current Dragons set up wears their blood and bandages kit for heritage round.

The use of linked there is a strong word. Linked as it was speculated and that it never actually happened.

It's not a place at all........ excuse me taxi driver take me to St George, yes sir where is that?

Same, same but different?
South moves but keeps everything they had but the location name, and it's not the same as St George going to Illawarra?

LA Rams have moved several times and still ended with the same colours even after St Louis changed them.

It's not a place at all........ excuse me taxi driver take me to St George, yes sir where is that?
Depends, there are lots of places that start with St George.
Same, same but different?
South moves but keeps everything they had but the location name, and it's not the same as St George going to Illawarra?
They'd have to drop the St George if they'd have to move to Illawarra.
LA Rams have moved several times and still ended with the same colours even after St Louis changed them.
Relates to the whole Swans/StG Illawarra argument.

Depends, there are lots of places that start with St George.

They'd have to drop the St George if they'd have to move to Illawarra.

Relates to the whole Swans/StG Illawarra argument.

Hence why, if they did which is all make believe i couldn't see them dropping thousands of dollars worth of merchandise and sponsorship for two words.

Hence why, if they did which is all make believe i couldn't see them dropping thousands of dollars worth of merchandise and sponsorship for two words.
Long term gain. Sure they'd lose money in the short term but once that merch has been cleared out they'd focus on long term financial and capital success which would benefit them for many years ahead. Like the Northern Eagles which were only around for 2 years then exited all together and just dropped the North Sydney.

You're taking this far too seriously and far too out of context, Klim. Where did I say that, in the even of SGI being based permanently down at the 'Gong, that they would keep the JV name or St George name? I didn't. In any case, it's my opinion that they should have gone down there permanently, whether they retain SGI or just be called Illawarra.

As I've said before, the NRL has pussyfooted around with the whole "Joint Venture" bullshit. Wests Tigers is a shambles, Northern Eagles went balls up and ended up with the premature death of a popular, well supported foundation club as well as Manly reverting back to their name, and we see the St George Illawarra JV which has bugger all benefit to the Illawarra side. The JVs should have either come with better conditions or be proper mergers - eg the NRL should have told SGI to be based mainly at the 'Gong with a few games still at Kogarah for heritage' sake.

Of course, purely opinion and hindsight.

The St George Dragons - Illawarra Steelers merger is just St George adding Illawarra to their name and playing half their games there. They have no real interest in becoming the Illawarra Dragons.
This in a complete nutshell.

You're taking this far too seriously and far too out of context, Klim. Where did I say that, in the even of SGI being based permanently down at the 'Gong, that they would keep the JV name or St George name? I didn't. In any case, it's my opinion that they should have gone down there permanently, whether they retain SGI or just be called Illawarra.
St George Illawarra should be based permanently down at Wollongong from the start.
I said that if in that case they would remove the St George name and just be called the Illawarra Dragons as the St George name would have no connection to them whatsoever.

Why should Western Australia or South Australia get a team when hardly anyone there supports Rugby League when you have an area like Central Queensland full of passionate supporters who are desperate for a team?

Because * all people live in Rockhampton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Central Queensland team wouldn't just be about Rockhampton. There's more to CQ than just Rocky.

And the AFL's Eagles are called "West Coast". But their viability has never been predicated on the assumption a sizeable portion of their crowds are going to drive in from ******* Bunbury and Geraldton 12+ times a year to watch them.

And the AFL's Eagles are called "West Coast". But their viability has never been predicated on the assumption a sizeable portion of their crowds are going to drive in from ******* Bunbury and Geraldton 12+ times a year to watch them.

Very true, even if 25% of the population of the Central Highlands and Gladstone area do show up for home games it'll only add around 8000 people and then if you halve that you'd get maybe 4000 extra spectators a game outside Rockhampton.

If they lose as bad as the Cowboys did at the start they'd last a handful of seasons.

Very true, even if 25% of the population of the Central Highlands and Gladstone area do show up for home games it'll only add around 8000 people and then if you halve that you'd get maybe 4000 extra spectators a game outside Rockhampton.

If they lose as bad as the Cowboys did at the start they'd last a handful of seasons.

or even how the SQ crushers performed

If you listen to Beatie's recent comments it really puts a dent in our hopes of ever getting our own team out west. Basically sounds like they have no plan at apart from wait and see if the TV channels want an extra game and then decide to expand, imagine announcing at Origin next year that Perth would be getting a team in 202? and building the hype up from there :(

If you listen to Beatie's recent comments it really puts a dent in our hopes of ever getting our own team out west. Basically sounds like they have no plan at apart from wait and see if the TV channels want an extra game and then decide to expand, imagine announcing at Origin next year that Perth would be getting a team in 202? and building the hype up from there :(
For 2020 I would be backing four new sides for the NRL. These are:
Central Coast (Gosford)
Perth
Brisbane
Adelaide

For 2020 I would be backing four new sides for the NRL. These are:
Central Coast (Gosford)
Perth
Brisbane
Adelaide

Gosford could never sustain a full time team, they already have level one league in both directions only an hour away. That’s what people don’t understand properly, that Gosford offers nothing in terms of expanding the game.
Perth yes
Ipswich/ West Brisbane yes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back