Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Moorabbin/Heatherton area, will be driving initially but looking forward I'm hoping I won't be there for too long. But yeah, trying to work out which areas are good for just in/out of the city as you say

Ok, that is definitely South East which means Ormond is fine. Other suburbs that might suit are Glenhuntly, Bentleigh or Highett along the same train line, or Carnegie through to Oakleigh on the Dandenong/Cranbourne/Pakenham line.

Bentleigh east also good for larger properties but without access to trains however.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wasn't really sure where to post this, but guess this is probably the best off-topic general chat thread to use. I'm moving from Perth to Melbourne in a couple of weeks, impeccable timing being the end of the AFL season but could be perfect timing if we can extend our season to the last 2 weeks :rainbow:

I'm transferring with my work which is based in the eastern suburbs, but the aim is to get a job in the CBD where my wife will also be transferring to. We are going to be staying in Eltham for about a month or so to begin with, but will be needing to find our own place. My wife has a colleague based in Perth but has an investment property in Northcote, timing could well work as the current tenants are moving out in about 2 months but she is finding out more about the house, what it will cost to rent etc. But as we don't know how it will play out, we still have to keep looking but can't apply for most places until we've done an inspection...which we can't until we are there.

Tricky part for us is that we have 2 small dogs, so that will be the hardest part to find a suitable rental. Basically just looking for advice on what would be the best areas to look at in regards to finding a place, pretty much anything inner city would be apartments/units so not suitable. We are bringing 1 car over with us, ideally don't want to get a 2nd as we want to be able to commute with public transport.

We don't want an hour plus each way commute, I know some people would do that but we want to avoid it as we want to enjoy the city compared to sleepy Perth. I've looked at some suitable places in areas not far from train stations that would be within 30min-1hr travel time, but just looking for more suggestions for other areas I might be able to look in, or if I happen to be looking in areas that aren't/won't be that great. Found a few decent places in the Collingwood/Hawthorn type area, what appears to be a perfect place is in Ormond.

Any suggestions would be great :)
I work in Eltham. Beautiful area. Can do a lot worse.

random__hero

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Blackhawks, SF Giants, 49ers, Jazz
Wasn't really sure where to post this, but guess this is probably the best off-topic general chat thread to use. I'm moving from Perth to Melbourne in a couple of weeks, impeccable timing being the end of the AFL season but could be perfect timing if we can extend our season to the last 2 weeks :rainbow:

I'm transferring with my work which is based in the eastern suburbs, but the aim is to get a job in the CBD where my wife will also be transferring to. We are going to be staying in Eltham for about a month or so to begin with, but will be needing to find our own place. My wife has a colleague based in Perth but has an investment property in Northcote, timing could well work as the current tenants are moving out in about 2 months but she is finding out more about the house, what it will cost to rent etc. But as we don't know how it will play out, we still have to keep looking but can't apply for most places until we've done an inspection...which we can't until we are there.

Tricky part for us is that we have 2 small dogs, so that will be the hardest part to find a suitable rental. Basically just looking for advice on what would be the best areas to look at in regards to finding a place, pretty much anything inner city would be apartments/units so not suitable. We are bringing 1 car over with us, ideally don't want to get a 2nd as we want to be able to commute with public transport.

We don't want an hour plus each way commute, I know some people would do that but we want to avoid it as we want to enjoy the city compared to sleepy Perth. I've looked at some suitable places in areas not far from train stations that would be within 30min-1hr travel time, but just looking for more suggestions for other areas I might be able to look in, or if I happen to be looking in areas that aren't/won't be that great. Found a few decent places in the Collingwood/Hawthorn type area, what appears to be a perfect place is in Ormond.

Any suggestions would be great :)

If you don’t get that place through your wife’s colleague in Northcote, would you still look at that area anyway?

I’m kinda out that way & could recommend some nearby suburbs to suss out?

If you don’t get that place through your wife’s colleague in Northcote, would you still look at that area anyway?

I’m kinda out that way & could recommend some nearby suburbs to suss out?

Yeah that would be good, we still need to keep options open as we don’t know what will eventuate from it, but looks to be in a suitable area that ticks all the boxes. Close to a train line into the city is the main aim

It seems Tim Paine learned nothing from the debacle at Headingley.

Two stupid reviews today meant that when Starc had Leach trapped LBW and Erasmus inevitably failed to give it we couldn't review and so we didn't get the wicket. Result: England batted on, avoided the risk of the follow-on (unlikely we'd enforce it anyway) and got another 10 runs or so. As Headingley showed us, those little things can be decisive.

The lesson is surely very simple: the fielding side must NOT use the DRS opportunistically in the hope they might just get lucky (eg with the Lyon review when a shot wasn't played). It's there to overcome the howlers, which is what the Erasmus decision was.

Langer needs to take some responsibility too. It's just dumb cricket and it might turn out that it's already cost us the ashes.

The Chicago Cubs did not renew the contract of their manager, Joe Maddon, just three years after he managed the Cubs to a World Series Championship. He took the Cubs to the playoffs the first four years of his five years as manager.

One month and one day after I was here in Melbourne to witness the Bulldogs win the Premiership, I sat in my suburban Chicago home watching my beloved Cubs win the World Series. Oct 1, 2016 and Nov 2, 2016 will always be the happiest days of my life.

I will miss Joe. He will never be forgotten by myself and other Cubs fans.

7a32f0ad2dfa0e906ca4c9e12d0da41c.jpg

Japan is going OFF.

Happy to be heading home though.

Sep 14, 2003
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Angels, Maple Leafs
The Chicago Cubs did not renew the contract of their manager, Joe Maddon, just three years after he managed the Cubs to a World Series Championship. He took the Cubs to the playoffs the first four years of his five years as manager.

One month and one day after I was here in Melbourne to witness the Bulldogs win the Premiership, I sat in my suburban Chicago home watching my beloved Cubs win the World Series. Oct 1, 2016 and Nov 2, 2016 will always be the happiest days of my life.

I will miss Joe. He will never be forgotten by myself and other Cubs fans.

As expected, Brad Ausmus was fired in Anaheim today, opening the way for Joe to return home to the LA Angels. If so, let's hope he brings a bullpen full of healthy pitchers with him.

As expected, Brad Ausmus was fired in Anaheim today, opening the way for Joe to return home to the LA Angels. If so, let's hope he brings a bullpen full of healthy pitchers with him.
That would be good. My brother is rather upset because he also loves Joe. But as Joe said:"Change is good."

Doggstats

Club Legend
May 21, 2011
On the toilet.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
76ers, LA Angels

Joe Maddon and Gerrit Cole would be a pretty nice off season for the Angels.

Time for Arte to open up the chequebook.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was pretty bad.
Not really. The Cooper Cronk call was correct although it looked worse in slow motion. Could have awarded a penalty try but they got an easy 2 points and couldn't convert the numerical advantage for the 10 minutes in the sin-bin.

Raiders should also have taken 2 points later and Ricky Stuart was really annoyed that they didn't. Cam Smith has been big offender this year not taking 2 points and going for the try that never happened. In the old days you always took your 2 points.

The repeat 6 call was a minor mistake and would have been far worse if the ref had given the extra 6 and Canberra had have scored.

Tedesco is a superstar and I was saying all through the game that he hadn't done much and bam off he went.

Great game, could have gone either way. Put the AFL granny to shame.

Not really. The Cooper Cronk call was correct although it looked worse in slow motion. Could have awarded a penalty try but they got an easy 2 points and couldn't convert the numerical advantage for the 10 minutes in the sin-bin.

Raiders should also have taken 2 points later and Ricky Stuart was really annoyed that they didn't. Cam Smith has been big offender this year not taking 2 points and going for the try that never happened. In the old days you always took your 2 points.

The repeat 6 call was a minor mistake and would have been far worse if the ref had given the extra 6 and Canberra had have scored.

Tedesco is a superstar and I was saying all through the game that he hadn't done much and bam off he went.

Great game, could have gone either way. Put the AFL granny to shame.
Sorry wayniac- cannot agree on the ‘minor mistake’. Raiders looked up, saw the call for 6 more and played it as such. If not call, they prob would have played it very differently, given the scores, time, etc.

"Minor" mistake that cost the GF.... OK then. Agree to disagree on that one haha.

Bit of a stretch, "cost the GF". So if the "correct" call was made they had to kick. About a 10% chance of scoring a try, if that. Did you wtach the game? Neither team scored after 5th tackle kicks, tries were from open play.

Bit of a stretch, "cost the GF". So if the "correct" call was made they had to kick. About a 10% chance of scoring a try, if that. Did you wtach the game? Neither team scored after 5th tackle kicks, tries were from open play.
Didn't watch so can't comment on the decision, but if they'd kicked and not scored they'd still have had the Roosters with the ball close to the try line, so while maybe only a 10% chance of a try from the kick there might have been a much higher chance of a try from the next set or two if the Raiders had held them down that half.

That said, I'll always defer to the superior RL knowledge of anyone from Leeds!

true bit of a stretch but considering the context of the game it was a massive decision/non-decision/whatever.

I feel like raiders were getting pretty close to scoring with kicks to the bottom corner on the last few sets though, yes unlikely but they had been peppering and getting closer.

And also what dw said about the territory aspect.

Didn't watch so can't comment on the decision, but if they'd kicked and not scored they'd still have had the Roosters with the ball close to the try line, so while maybe only a 10% chance of a try from the kick there might have been a much higher chance of a try from the next set or two if the Raiders had held them down that half.

That said, I'll always defer to the superior RL knowledge of anyone from Leeds!

LOL.

1965 Challenge Cup final was worse. Hunslet 16 Wigan 20. Hunslet were robbed of a try by John Griffiths. No reviews back then. Most of the team was traded after that, including my cousin Bill Ramsey, his mate Ken Eyre both went to Leeds. Geoff Shelton went to Oldham, Brian Gabbitas, who was the first player to share the Lance Todd trophy in a losing side was retired early after a head high tackle broke his jaw. Big John went back to Wales and Hunslet folded in the early 70's.

That's why I'm a Bulldog tragic :)

Philly to win the next ten titles and Boomers to win the next two Olympics

ffs really over the frothing whenever Ben Simmons takes a jump shot. Particularly from fox sports like a one off triple in a pre-season game against nobodies.

I’ve watched Marc Gasol nail a three pointer in his prime too. Doesn’t mean he was suddenly a good outside shot.

I know you may have been being facetious

Remove this Banner Ad

Back