Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Tony Jones filling in admirably for Neil Mitchell today - said what we need is more pollies like Jeff Kennett :eek:
Never been so glad to see the exit of any polly and our electorate voted in Susan Davies, an independent which helped a bit after we had been a strong Lib electorate. Probably Kennett merging our local council and selling off assetts which our people had paid for had a bit to do with it.

Well another campaign for Comrades in South Africa is underway officially (managed to get one of the 15000 spots available, and coming and going seems to be getting easier by the month), Canberra Marathon coming up next week en route to Good Friday. Then it's pray that we start getting quality players locally so I don't have to play multiple games on weekends (if anyone knows any rucks or forwards who want to come to Central Qld......)

Anyone done their Vote Compass this year? Ended up almost spot on with Labor on the graph, although some of the questions were poorly worded imo

Anyone done their Vote Compass this year? Ended up almost spot on with Labor on the graph, although some of the questions were poorly worded imo
I did it, although I feel like the question sample size is fairly small.

I was basically between Greens and Labor, but 3/4th's closer to Labor along that extrapolation (if that makes any sense).

I did it, although I feel like the question sample size is fairly small.

I was basically between Greens and Labor, but 3/4th's closer to Labor along that extrapolation (if that makes any sense).
Some of the questions weren't worded great. Like asking if wealthier Australians should pay more tax - I said no as I feel that should be the burden of large businesses, not individuals. Somehow that puts me closer to LNP even though my views align closer to Labor on that question (vs LNP or Greens)

At least one of my teams won this weekend. Chicago Cubs 21 - Pittsburgh Pirates 0! :p

The Cubs finished with 23 hits in their most lopsided shutout win dating to at least 1901. Their 21 runs were their most since scoring 26 at Colorado on Aug. 18, 1995, and their 21-run margin was their largest since beating the Boston Braves 24-2 on July 3, 1945.

Question: When you’re turning right at a roundabout you obviously indicate right. BUT, do you indicate left as you exit?

My wife is learning to drive and her instructor says you shouldn’t indicate as you come off the roundabout. I learned to drive in England and you would 100% fail your test if you didn’t indicate as you came off.

Victorian road rules state you should indicate left ‘if practicable’. That is somewhat grey but I think my wife is getting bad advice as in my opinion it is very rarely not practicable.

So obviously I turn to BigFooty for clarity.

Thoughts?

Question: When you’re turning right at a roundabout you obviously indicate right. BUT, do you indicate left as you exit?

My wife is learning to drive and her instructor says you shouldn’t indicate as you come off the roundabout. I learned to drive in England and you would 100% fail your test if you didn’t indicate as you came off.

Victorian road rules state you should indicate left ‘if practicable’. That is somewhat grey but I think my wife is getting bad advice as in my opinion it is very rarely not practicable.

Thoughts?
I did my learner's in WA, you absolutely do have to indicate off here too. You'd lose points on a driving test for not doing it. Her instructor is wrong, might need to find a new one haha

Thoughts?
I agree. You're supposed to indicate left coming off the roundabout. Tricky if it's a double lane roundabout though and even more so if it merges right immediately after. There's one like that near the Australian War Memorial. Do you indicate left to come off the roundabout or right to indicate merging right? Or indicate left and then immediately indicate right?

It's never going to be enforced though. The best thing is just to keep your eye on the traffic behind and alongside you. There's often a speedster who is obsessed with getting one car ahead and will try to accelerate through just where the road merges.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like how the first into the roundabout has right of way over card on the right but good luck with that as the ones on the right just barge through

Neil Mitchell recons Labor are running a coward's campaign. Barely noticed any of their ads. Hear the Lib's it won't be easy with Albernese fairly often [plus all the freakin Palmer party ones.] Labor could have gone with You'd have to be potty to vote for Scotty?

"There's a hole in the bucket..."
"Freedom forever"

Not very creative.

My first Federal election about four months after I arrived in Australia(I still have a "Turn On the Lights" campaign button):

"There's a hole in the bucket..."
"Freedom forever"

Not very creative.

My first Federal election about four months after I arrived in Australia(I still have a "Turn On the Lights" campaign button):

Hey are you watching Home and Away? This is the dumbest episode ever! I fear for all viewers who like myself can't afford to lose brain cells by watching this :oops:

Hey are you watching Home and Away? This is the dumbest episode ever! I fear for all viewers who like myself can't afford to lose brain cells by watching this :oops:
I watched the first episode. I'm watching Survivor now.

Excuse me? The RBA's monetary policy has been impeccable since 2020. If Bevo was Philip Lowe's equivalent we would be undefeated on top of the ladder.
Can't find a clip of it right now but there was an excellent piece by Alan Kohler on last night's news (one of those ones where he is sitting behind a cup of latte ... not sure if it's half full or half empty but I'm beginning to suspect the latter).

In it he outlined how Lowe and the RBA repeatedly assured everyone from 2020 to late 2021 that there would be no interest rate rises from the RBA before 2024. Since then there have been another 360,000 mortgages taken out by people who were confident they could afford the repayments. Now after two sudden increases (totalling 0.75%) there are predictions of interest rates further tripling before the end of the year. Result? (1) House prices kept rising steeply until the RBA suddenly changed direction and (2) it's expected a lot of those 360,000 will end up in mortgage stress. Even if they don't, any financial planning they might have done based on RBA statements means they will now be much worse off than they had expected.

Kohler finishes up his piece saying "how about an apology Philip?"

1655091666198.png
1625735822279_GP53BUJBF.2-2.jpg

Can't find a clip of it right now but there was an excellent piece by Alan Kohler on last night's news (one of those ones where he is sitting behind a cup of latte ... not sure if it's half full or half empty but I'm beginning to suspect the latter).

In it he outlined how Lowe and the RBA repeatedly assured everyone from 2020 to late 2021 that there would be no interest rate rises from the RBA before 2024. Since then there have been another 360,000 mortgages taken out by people who were confident they could afford the repayments. Now after two sudden increases (totalling 0.75%) there are predictions of interest rates further tripling before the end of the year. Result? (1) House prices kept rising steeply until the RBA suddenly changed direction and (2) it's expected a lot of those 360,000 will end up in mortgage stress. Even if they don't, any financial planning they might have done based on RBA statements means they will now be much worse off than they had expected.

Kohler finishes up his piece saying "how about an apology Philip?"

View attachment 1422887
1625735822279_GP53BUJBF.2-2.jpg

Lowe and the RBA have admitted the error. It was a wildly inaccurate prediction based on belief that the pandemic would be much worse and last for much longer. I think we all probably made predictions about how the pandemic turned out that would later be proven to have been way off the mark. No one thought that the vaccines would be developed as quickly as they were. It's also worth noting that the US Fed predicted the same. Predictions are just that - predictions.

"...the RBA suddenly changed direction." As opposed to what? Interest rates can't go below zero. There was only one direction they could go.

"it's expected a lot of those 360,000 will end up in mortgage stress. Even if they don't, any financial planning they might have done based on RBA statements means they will now be much worse off than they had expected."

Oh, won't someone think of the poor marginal mortgagors, who FOMOed into the housing market at its peak without a budget than can sustain interest rate rises. Give me a break. There will always be people who are unhappy with interest rate rises but it has to be done. If buyers needed interest rate certainty for three years then they could have gotten a three year fixed rate mortgage. You don't plan your financial future on a prediction without hedging against other outcomes.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back