Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd suggest the umpires got reamed over the length of his run in the Brisbane game, where he ran the better part of 50m without bouncing the ball. As a result, they were clearly watching for a repeat performance in the Collingwood game, which is why he got pinged when nobody else did.

As I said before... I'm not fussed whether it's adjudicated tightly or loosely, just choose one and be consistent.
I think they need to change it. 15 m is not far enough. Not for today's athletes and the speed they run.
Make it 20 m and then be strict on it. Would make life easier for everyone.

I'd suggest the umpires got reamed over the length of his run in the Brisbane game, where he ran the better part of 50m without bouncing the ball. As a result, they were clearly watching for a repeat performance in the Collingwood game, which is why he got pinged when nobody else did.

As I said before... I'm not fussed whether it's adjudicated tightly or loosely, just choose one and be consistent.
He had an earlier run in the Collingwood game where he ran longer and didn't get pinged

For an ump to call it at that time is ludicrous. I bet if it wasn't called, there would be NOBODY complaining that a free should have been called.

He only ran about half of what Buddy did when he kicked goal of the year against us.

This is a pretty rough job, but tried to track his movements to where he changed direction. Not as reliable as whatever Fox use probably, but it won't be far off imo (it almost perfectly measures the centre square as 50m).

View attachment 1995004
There is nothing about Fox Footy that I would consider reliable. I'd believe this more than them.

For an ump to call it at that time is ludicrous. I bet if it wasn't called, there would be NOBODY complaining that a free should have been called.

That's the thing, when the whistle blew, only 1 person in the entire MCG knew what the free was for. The crowd hadn't even started the "too far" noise.

People only started getting smug after Fox pulled out the measuring tape. Reading one of the reddit threads on the game it seemed very 50-50 before that came out, with some even suggesting the umpire missed the earlier bounce which is why they pinged him.

If that doesn't get called, Collingwood wouldn't even bat an eye. It's just assumed that exciting players and plays get that leeway. Just ask Buddy or Cripps.

That's the thing, when the whistle blew, only 1 person in the entire MCG knew what the free was for. The crowd hadn't even started the "too far" noise.

People only started getting smug after Fox pulled out the measuring tape. Reading one of the reddit threads on the game it seemed very 50-50 before that came out, with some even suggesting the umpire missed the earlier bounce which is why they pinged him.

If that doesn't get called, Collingwood wouldn't even bat an eye. It's just assumed that exciting players and plays get that leeway. Just ask Buddy or Cripps.
Its the same as if a very tight HTB call was pulled out after a whole game (or indeed season) of 'putting the whistle away'.

It might be correct to the law but very unfair on the players.

Its the same as if a very tight HTB call was pulled out after a whole game (or indeed season) of 'putting the whistle away'.

It might be correct to the law but very unfair on the players.
A bit like Laird getting called for a throw the week before when Cripps has never completed an actual handball in his career.

I think they need to change it. 15 m is not far enough. Not for today's athletes and the speed they run.
Make it 20 m and then be strict on it. Would make life easier for everyone.

I like the thinking but will still come under the control of the umpires who can not even judge the length of a short kick which is point to point let alone a runner going at full speed.

I'd make kicks a minimum 20 metres and allow a 5 yard buffer either side and the same goes with running bounces.

You are correct that nobody in the MCG knew what the free was for. Looked completely innocuous to everyone there. The reaction from most Collingwood fans around me was laughter once it was revealed what the free was for. They knew they'd been looked after, and sometimes this happens during a game both ways (always funny to get a 50 you know wasn't there) but it stands out with 30 seconds to go.

When interpreting the "flexible" nature of some free kick interpretations it helps to think about why the rule exists, typically in AFL a rule exists either to promote player safety or to promote fair competition - in this case the rule exists to promote fair competition. I'll put it another way:
What unfair advantage was gained by Rankine taking one step too far? None at all.

Compare this to the unfair advantage gained by Draper diving on the ball to drag it in and cause a stoppage (no free kick paid, by the way). Compare this to the unfair advantage gained by Collingwood when Dawson had his head taken off and was taken to ground (no free kick paid).

Anyway the unfortunate side effect of all of this is that for the rest of the season there will be a bizarre focus on running too far that the game absolutely did not need.

West Coast have done it again haven't they?

No team in the competition is better at tanking, picking up an elite talent and then getting back to the top again. Reid is going to be an absolute gun. West Coast did it right. North did the dumb thing (the sort we normally do) and will be left watching the competitions next superstar.

We did not tank 👍

5-45 over two seasons, more 100 point losses in that period than in the ~35 years of the club previously, a complete collapse of the playing list in terms of fitness, strength and conditioning, skill level etc. “Worse than Fitzroy” was the frequent rhetoric. No-one tries to be that bad.

There was no tanking. Otherwise the coach wouldn’t have won the in the second last round to save his job (on the back of a period of improved form, the almost win over Essendon following the win over North) etc.

Norf saved us. We got a good one yes, pick 1, and then had to wait for the ridiculous charity picks given to Norf plus the rest of the shambles that was the first round of the draft before our second pick at 30.

A long way to go, we do need a bit more talent in and there are quite a few areas requiring attention.

West Coast have done it again haven't they?

No team in the competition is better at tanking, picking up an elite talent and then getting back to the top again. Reid is going to be an absolute gun. West Coast did it right. North did the dumb thing (the sort we normally do) and will be left watching the competitions next superstar.
You seem to have forgotten that WC failed to tank in one late match last year, presenting Reid to North, who then refused to accept the present by winning a tankable match! Analyze that.

Edit: Posted before seeing the above.

Depends on whether we can find a decent strategic coach.
They have one.

Won the GF in 2018.

Rebuilt and churned out the team 2020 to 2025.

Will be contending in 2027/28.

Adam Simpson and the Eagles know what they are doing.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why didn’t Jez McLennan from Centrals get a look in at the Gold Coast . Not like they had a dearth of good defenders . BOG in both state games and definitely will be picked up in mid season draft .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We did not tank 👍

5-45 over two seasons, more 100 point losses in that period than in the ~35 years of the club previously, a complete collapse of the playing list in terms of fitness, strength and conditioning, skill level etc. “Worse than Fitzroy” was the frequent rhetoric. No-one tries to be that bad.

There was no tanking. Otherwise the coach wouldn’t have won the in the second last round to save his job (on the back of a period of improved form, the almost win over Essendon following the win over North) etc.

Norf saved us. We got a good one yes, pick 1, and then had to wait for the ridiculous charity picks given to Norf plus the rest of the shambles that was the first round of the draft before our second pick at 30.

A long way to go, we do need a bit more talent in and there are quite a few areas requiring attention.

You tanked

There was no way your injured senior players were getting anywhere near that side

Which was the right approach

We did not tank 👍

Tank might be the wrong word - I know it has connotations.
What you guys do is bottom out properly and quickly. You don't spend time mid table. It's top or bottom.

The talking heads who suddenly want to give a ridiculous, disingenuous technical explanation of why it was paid, while holding their tape measures, should all go and get jobs with Nicola Spurrier.

Tank might be the wrong word - I know it has connotations.
What you guys do is bottom out properly and quickly. You don't spend time mid table. It's top or bottom.

Thats fair enough 😆 The injury crisis/collapse last year accelerated the bottom out. There was somewhat of a view inside the club that 2022 was an abberation and if we got all the older players healthy in 2023, we could be a lot more competitive, a ceiling of the the outskirts of the top 8.

There has been a bit of delusion as to where things were really at, but once the injuries started early last year, that was it.

Much improved over the last six weeks. Remains to be seen how many more wins are attainable, we have at least three home games that should be wins. Still have a lot of development and work to do, so my hope is we don’t stray too far from the bottom six, need another ‘good’ draft pick.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink...

What an absolute dill.

Tarryn Thomas charged over ‘harassing phone calls’ to ex​

Disgraced former North Melbourne footballer Tarryn Thomas has been charged by police over a series of allegedly harassing phone calls made to an ex-partner.

The Herald Sun revealed on May 10 that police were investigating Thomas after he allegedly called an estranged girlfriend, multiple times during the day and night.

It’s believed the alleged calls were made after Thomas was cut by the Kangaroos and handed an 18-match suspension by the AFL after conduct breaches, including allegedly threatening the same woman on social media.
The shocking messages were revealed by The Herald Sun in February.
“And for them girls I abuse I would do again,” Thomas wrote to the woman.

“After what they did to me if you do me wrong I will let you have it.”

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said police executed a search warrant at an Ormond property on Tuesday.

“Police have charged a 24-year-old Ormond man in relation to reports of alleged harassing phone calls,” she said.

“Police executed a search warrant at a premises in Ormond on Tuesday 21 May about 11.15am.

“The man was arrested and charged with use telecommunications service to harass.”

Thomas was bailed to appear at the Broadmeadows Magistrates’ Court on November 21.

THE AFL is aware of today's developments in relation to Tarryn Thomas including that he has been charged with offences that are now before the Courts. The AFL cannot and will not make any comment in relation to those new charges while the police investigation is ongoing.

The AFL reiterates that under the sanctions previously imposed on Mr Thomas by the AFL, he currently cannot train or play at any level of Australian Football without the approval of the AFL including once his 18-match suspension expires.

Please note that the AFL will specifically not permit Mr Thomas to join the list of any AFL club pending the hearing and determination of the charges that have now been brought against him and subject to the outcome of those proceedings.

More broadly, it is the AFL's intent that Mr Thomas will not be approved to play at any level of Australian Football pending the hearing and determination of the charges that have now been brought against him and subject to the outcome of those proceedings.

The AFL will continue to monitor the police proceedings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back