Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Lucky he only smashed his face to pieces, if Parker had called him a mean name then he would have copped 8 weeks.

It's a weird one given the guy he smashed is semi pro so if he doesn't have salary continuance he is kinda screwed for months financially, let alone ongoing medical needs.

versus hurt feelings

We would get slaughtered, both Vic and WA would kill us

I would love to see SOO back however the same issues would arise with some clubs having a huge burden of supplying players more so than others and players would start ruling themselves out due to pressure from the club. The only way around it would be for clubs to be financially compensated a certain amount $10k per player or even more. The other thing is it becomes part of the AFL contract and the AFL's own doctors assess a players injury as to whether they can play or not. Like how Cricket has CA contracts maybe the AFL could have SOO.

What could be an alternative is to have an East v West Concept with Melbourne teams split down the middle.

West
Adelaide, Port Adelaide, West Coast, Fremantle, Geelong, Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne, Essendon and Carlton

East
Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney, GWS, Melbourne, Hawthorn, St Kilda, Richmond and Collingwood.

Could have extended benches and have a maximum player game time of 60% with a reduced quarter length.

As for the selected sides, SA doesn't have a bad team. Rankine would improve it. I think the academies have improved interstate players and Victoria doesn't seem to have the dominant type side it would traditionally have. The Allies would have a good side as well.

Last edited:
They pull this crap each year

Oh it's a great concept, blah blah blah

The last three or four SOO games (or concepts on that basis including the Wanktoria V the rest of Australia) were nothing more than circle work and an absolute disgrace compared to the games in the 70s, 80s and 90s. The time has passed now to bring the concept back, it is sad that it is but it is.

We would get slaughtered, both Vic and WA would kill us

Just no interest from me. I know a lot of supporters love the idea of the concept.

Not as much as all of the panel shows and talk back radio though.

Now that it’s been rolled out for this year will no doubt fill a few days on Fiveaa etc.

I just don’t have some great hatred for Victoria, and there’s no way they wouldn't include all states in some form. Which is even less exciting.

Can’t imagine booing Tex walking lining up to kick the winning goal for an allies side or cheering on JHF.

Like the Ireland games, for me, what’s the rivalry? Who cares and I’d rather see our players do well because it means they are good than seeing the win for “my side”.

Also I think the game is high on talent but lacking personalities and seeing them all come together is less of a novelty than maybe it was in the past?

I know it works in QLD/NSW with their state of origin, and it would probably work here if AFL was basically a two state competition but we’ve out grown the concept.

Last edited:

Port Adelaide premiership hero Byron Pickett sues AFL Players’ Association and ex-agent​

He led Port Adelaide to its only AFL flag and now twenty years later, he’s got nothing to show for more than a decade playing at footy’s highest level.

When Byron Pickett signed his first AFL contract, he thought he would be set for life.
For the Port Lincoln teenager, even the $21,500 that deal was worth was an unfathomable amount of money.

Five years later, he was earning almost $284,000 before tax as a Port Adelaide player.

But 20 years on, the Power’s 2004 premiership hero still rents his home and has nothing to show for his 11-year footy career as a household name renowned for his booming kick and physical play.

He has spent much of that time trying to explain to his children why they haven’t enjoyed the spoils of having a former professional athlete as their parent.

“The kids asked me over the years: ‘Where’s the money? What happened? What did you do?’,” Pickett told The Advertiser.
“Dad, you played AFL for 11 years but we don’t even have a car, we don’t have a house.

“Where’s all the money gone? I didn’t have an answer for them.”

Pickett has now taken legal action against the AFL Players’ Association – the peak body representing AFL and AFLW players – claiming the association breached its duty of care to him by not having in place regulations that led to his former player agent Kym Richardson allegedly stealing more than $250,000 in cash from the 2004 Norm Smith Medallist.

In a statement of claim lodged with the Supreme Court, Pickett alleges Mr Richardson withdrew $253,920 in cash without his client’s permission from a bank account he opened in trust for Pickett in December 2001.

“Kym had sole control over the ATM card, cheque book and internet banking for the Pickett account,” the statement of claim alleges.
Pickett’s claim alleges Mr Richardson and his family profited from property deals with Pickett that he did not understand.

According to the claim, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide and Melbourne paid $654,209 in wages into the account from December 2001 to August 2007.

It is further alleged cash was withdrawn from the account at a location referred to as “Parliament House” in February 2005 while Mr Richardson was the federal MP for Kingston.

Hundreds of dollars were also spent at the Roebuck Bay Hotel and Willie Creek Pearl Farm in Broome, while $1500 was withdrawn from the account on May 7, 2005, Pickett alleges.

Pickett “has never been to Broome”, according to the statement of claim.

When Byron Pickett signed his first AFL contract, he thought he would be set for life.
For the Port Lincoln teenager, even the $21,500 that deal was worth was an unfathomable amount of money.

Five years later, he was earning almost $284,000 before tax as a Port Adelaide player.

But 20 years on, the Power’s 2004 premiership hero still rents his home and has nothing to show for his 11-year footy career as a household name renowned for his booming kick and physical play.

He has spent much of that time trying to explain to his children why they haven’t enjoyed the spoils of having a former professional athlete as their parent.

“The kids asked me over the years: ‘Where’s the money? What happened? What did you do?’,” Pickett told The Advertiser.

Former Port Adelaide star Byron Pickett is suing the AFL Players’ Association and his ex-agent Kym Richardson over hundreds of thousands of dollars in wages allegedly stolen from him. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Dean Martin

Former Port Adelaide star Byron Pickett is suing the AFL Players’ Association and his ex-agent Kym Richardson over hundreds of thousands of dollars in wages allegedly stolen from him. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Dean Martin
“Dad, you played AFL for 11 years but we don’t even have a car, we don’t have a house.

“Where’s all the money gone? I didn’t have an answer for them.”

Pickett has now taken legal action against the AFL Players’ Association – the peak body representing AFL and AFLW players – claiming the association breached its duty of care to him by not having in place regulations that led to his former player agent Kym Richardson allegedly stealing more than $250,000 in cash from the 2004 Norm Smith Medallist.

In a statement of claim lodged with the Supreme Court, Pickett alleges Mr Richardson withdrew $253,920 in cash without his client’s permission from a bank account he opened in trust for Pickett in December 2001.

“Kym had sole control over the ATM card, cheque book and internet banking for the Pickett account,” the statement of claim alleges.

Pickett’s claim alleges Mr Richardson and his family profited from property deals with Pickett that he did not understand.

According to the claim, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide and Melbourne paid $654,209 in wages into the account from December 2001 to August 2007.

It is further alleged cash was withdrawn from the account at a location referred to as “Parliament House” in February 2005 while Mr Richardson was the federal MP for Kingston.

Hundreds of dollars were also spent at the Roebuck Bay Hotel and Willie Creek Pearl Farm in Broome, while $1500 was withdrawn from the account on May 7, 2005, Pickett alleges.

Pickett “has never been to Broome”, according to the statement of claim.

Kym Richardson represented Pickett from 2001 to 2007. Picture: Supplied
The claim alleges the AFLPA was “negligent and in breach of its duty of care to Byron” by not having provisions included in regulations “governing the conduct of player agents” while Mr Richardson acted for Pickett from 2001 to 2007.

It alleges Pickett has suffered loss equal to at least the cash amount allegedly withdrawn from the account because of the AFLPA’s “negligence” and that Port Adelaide raised concerns with the AFLPA in 2005 about Mr Richardson’s conduct.

In a defence lodged with the Supreme Court, the AFLPA denies breaching its duty of care.

According to the defence, an AFLPA representative who met with Pickett and Port Adelaide staff in 2005, noted “Kym has Byron’s best interests at heart”.

Mr Richardson, who has not lodged a defence, was contacted for comment through his lawyers but did not respond.

An AFLPA spokeswoman said the association would not comment on the allegations before the court.
Pickett said he will continue to pursue the legal action to “get back what I deserve”.

“I’m not actually doing it for myself,” he said.

“I’m doing it for my kids, for my family.”

Just speculating but if there are no criminal charges the $253k must have been for the property deals Pickett didn't understand.

It seems a bit of a stretch to sue the AFLPA over a dodgy manager, he wasn't the first and won't be the last client to have their manager rip them off.

Fancy hiring a politician as your manager, may as well get a used car salesman to do it for you.

Sounds like another case of not taking personal responsibility for your decisions.

We've already had the "time to scrap the draw?" reboots after the first draw of the season.

and only a few months away from Kane Cornes saying Mad Monday should be scrapped.
Don't forget Wildcard Round!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I fell in love with football as a little kid watching the 1984 SA VIC match, Kernahan kicked 10 but we lost at the death by 4 points. State of Origin were some of the best games you could ever watch, finals intensity but with the best of the best in every position. The players were 100% invested and the rivalries were fierce.

But that was a different footy world, it's never going to be like that again and that's fine. It's ok to appreciate the past and not need to replicate it in the present.

Just speculating but if there are no criminal charges the $253k must have been for the property deals Pickett didn't understand.

It seems a bit of a stretch to sue the AFLPA over a dodgy manager, he wasn't the first and won't be the last client to have their manager rip them off.

Fancy hiring a politician as your manager, may as well get a used car salesman to do it for you.

Sounds like another case of not taking personal responsibility for your decisions.
Sounds more like another case of a Used Car Salesman taking advantage of someone who wasn't competent and the structural factors that allow that to happen.

This was my first reaction but today players can only hire AFLPA accredited player agents, so if it was like that back then maybe there is something to it.

Maybe he can claim something like the AFLPA accredited a dodgy agent.

Reading between the lines, probably unfairly, I wonder if most of the cash was actually stolen and spent by the agent, or was it used in the property deals Pickett says he didn't understand at the time.

I kind of lean towards if you agreed to something you didn't understand, that's on you for not finding out.

But maybe he was lied to or deliberately confused, and as an accredited agent I guess you take their word for it.

It's a pretty sad situation though and I'm sure it has happened to many players before and after him.

He says he was on $284,000 before tax while at Port, after tax, in early 2000's money, it's probably enough to set you up for life if smart with it, which I guess you trust an agent to do, but also not enough to be able to be wasteful or having agents and whoever else getting their cut, plus bad investments and have a lot left.

Every contract should almost include a portion that can only be used to get independent legal advice and a little left over for independent supplement testing in case you're drafted to early 2010's Essendon, removes the excuses.

I know where at least 70k of that money went.

He wrote off a near new XR8 back in 2004 while driving drunk so that wouldn't have been covered by insurance so that money plus whatever damage he caused.

I expect that it's most probably a combination of poor choices, ignorance and maybe some questionable dealings but it reeks of a lawyer trying his luck at a landmark civil suit. Even if he were to win, he'll most probably still end up with only very little.

No matter what the on field and pre-test test says, both players unfortunately knocked heads and should sit out for the 15 minutes to see if there are any delayed issues.

If the AFL/clubs/players are serious about head knocks that is...

Nope, Sydney pretending it didn't happen a bit like Collingwood last week, Port every week.

Someone mentioned it last week but let the sub come on for the 15 minutes so clubs aren't down a player.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back