Remove this Banner Ad

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I believe so, but also just seems to be one of those naturals who is good at most sports.

Had a highlights reel of soccer goals to go with his freakish marks. So many memories....
Dont let the first few seconds of Mackay in the video ruin your memory. :$

Nice soccer goal by Mods, inside the 6 yard box.:think:

adelaidecrows

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 6, 2010
Wasleys
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone who thinks Ablett etc wouldn’t make it in today’s game is insane

Dunstall in particular was the first all round FF, who gave off, brought others in the game, tracked back etc

Lockett won a Brownlow switching in ruck
Locket also played in an era where 191cm was considered huge. Most defenders and fullbacks would have been under that height and certainly that size. These days the standard tall defender is 191cm plus. And they are not thin either. I'm not questioning his footballing ability.His athleticism would be the only thing potebtially holding him back. His size and strength that gave him the edge would work against him in modern footy.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kane McGoodwin

TheBrownDog
May 21, 2001
Floating around the Universe
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Locket also played in an era where 191cm was considered huge. Most defenders and fullbacks would have been under that height and certainly that size. These days the standard tall defender is 191cm plus. And they are not thin either. I'm not questioning his footballing ability.His athleticism would be the only thing potebtially holding him back. His size and strength that gave him the edge would work against him in modern footy.

One one of the best kicks for goal in the game... probably more ao now, given goal kicking has not unproved.

Dudersaurus

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

Fog has a lot of similarity to a modern day Locket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
One one of the best kicks for goal in the game... probably more ao now, given goal kicking has not unproved.
I remember him being interviewed once about his goal kicking.

His "secret" was to pick someone behind the goals and kick the ball in that direction. Sounds logical and rather simple.

Geoffa32

TheBrownDog
Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
There are a lot of great kicks at goal playing SANFL and ammos now.

Not saying Lockett wouldn't play AFL. But if he did, he would be a different type of player.

Same with Dunstall

The modern equivalent is probably Bailey Fritsch. Similar height, although Fritsch a bit shorter. But leaner.
Another (poor man's version) is Rohan. Again leaner.

These guys are not the strong man in the forward line Lockett/Dunstall were. But the third tall.

Lockett's playing weight in 2021 would be close to his actual weight now, and not what he played at.

Ablett would be a lock in the modern game. One of the few in this discussion to play a role other than pure FF. He would be a Brownlow winning mid. Like his son.

Mods would be a very good mid size forward. A massive upgrade on McAdam. Would slot straight into that role. Obviously fitter than 1990s Modra, but same skillset and similar method of play.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
Oct 3, 2003
The East Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Port getting Dumont is like us getting Sam Gibson in 2018
Isn't Dumont about 4 years younger than Gibson was?

And, arguably a fair bit better?

adelaidecrows

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 6, 2010
Wasleys
AFL Club
Adelaide
Goal kicking has got worse. Forwards no longer spend entire sessions having set shots for goal. It shows. This is one aspect of the game that has clearly gotten worse. Jay Shulz at Port was probably the last genuine forward I saw kick through the ball in the manner of the old school.

skam85

lick the stamp and send it
Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Goal kicking has got worse. Forwards no longer spend entire sessions having set shots for goal. It shows. This is one aspect of the game that has clearly gotten worse. Jay Shulz at Port was probably the last genuine forward I saw kick through the ball in the manner of the old school.

Darcy Fogarty was right there as an obvious example

adelaidecrows

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 6, 2010
Wasleys
AFL Club
Adelaide
Dermott describes Tex as the best kick of the football he has ever seen.
If you watch any game dermott commentates there is always a player who is the best ever at something. It's a standard line he delivers. Do you really think he will say Tex was better than Dunstall as a kick. Not saying Tex isn't great but he isn't the best ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad