Opinion Non-Crows AFL 6: This Is Getting Cruel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta say it’s amusing that people are wholly disbelieving that people can be racist at a pool but will create a vivid scenario of a 35 year old father of five being unable to supervise his kids and put them at risk of drowning and then cling to that as the clear and obvious explanation.
As was pointed out, rules exist regarding supervision.

Sanders has not said Eddie’s lying. He’s stating none of us know the details. Eddie has made his judgement it was a racist situation and it would only be fair to ask questions about why it wasn’t dealt with at the time to corroborate or debunk this claim.

He flat out said that the story is made up.

I’m staggered that a story that stretches all credulity could be blindly accepted as literal, just because there is a sugar hit in nodding along.

And if you can’t see why he’s run a mile from naming the pool I don’t know what to tell you

If you don’t think it matters, and if you don’t think it undermines public discourse, to stretch and embellish stories of struggle then I also don’t know what to tell you

He didn't tell the story so that the life guard or the people can be tracked down and criticised. He told it as ONE recent example of the different treatment he receives as an indigenous Australian.

Do you need him to list off every case of racism he's experienced, and then give you every single detail of location, people involved, date, time of day, just to satisfy your own weird need to investigate personally his claims?

Newsflash - Eddie owes people like you NOTHING.

To draw a broader conclusion, I think we can say that if your club loses a grand final, regardless of the margin, you’ll probably be waiting another 5 years at least for a flag. They are hard to win. You might also argue that Port's 2007 grand final loss was in a class of its own and truly set the club back.
Awesome effort.

I suspect a lot of it has to do with where they are at in their "premiership window" when the big loss occurs. For example, the West Coast team which lost in 1991 was young and still on the way up - they went on to win flags in 1992 & 1994; at the other end of the scale, Brisbane 2004 was the last hurrah for an aging team which was about to start a lengthy rebuild.

Adelaide 2017 was probably towards the end of our window, but the damage done by the camp (in the aftermath of the GF) guaranteed that the group as it was would never return to the lofty heights.

Awesome effort.

I suspect a lot of it has to do with where they are at in their "premiership window" when the big loss occurs. For example, the West Coast team which lost in 1991 was young and still on the way up - they went on to win flags in 1992 & 1994; at the other end of the scale, Brisbane 2004 was the last hurrah for an aging team which was about to start a lengthy rebuild.

Adelaide 2017 was probably towards the end of our window, but the damage done by the camp (in the aftermath of the GF) guaranteed that the group as it was would never return to the lofty heights.

That is probably a really good point that is often overlooked. 2017 wasn't the potential start of a dynasty for us. It was the end of the build of a decent team, which really started in 2015.

About as much proof that the two old people were racist.
Who were they ? What pool?
Devil will always be in the detail. It’s that detail that’s missing.

We are going to trust Eddie given he has been subject to variable levels of racism most of his life as opposed to white privileged individuals who get upset if their coffee is too hot etc.

I thought this might be of interest, given what's happened to our club since 2017 and what happened to Sydney yesterday.

I went through the grand final losers in the AFL era. I excluded the 2010 drawn GF since there was no loser, and excluded the recent years where the losers haven’t yet had 5 years to redeem themselves.

1990: Essendon lost to Collingwood by 48. Went on to appear in GF 2 years later which they won.

1991: West Coast lost to Hawthorn by 53. Went on to appear in GF 1 year later which they won.

1992: Geelong lost to West Coast by 28. Went on to appear in GF 2 years later which they lost. Won flag 15 years after 1992.

1993: Carlton lost to Essendon by 44. Went on to appear in GF 2 years later which they won.

1994: Geelong lost to West Coast by 80. Went on to appear in GF 1 year later which they lost. Won flag 13 years after 1994.

1995: Geelong lost to Carlton by 61. Went on to appear in GF 12 years later which they won.

1996: Sydney lost to North Melbourne by 43. Went on to appear in GF 9 years later which they won.

1997: St Kilda lost to Adelaide by 31. Went on to appear in GFs 12 and 13 years later which they lost. Yet to win flag 25 years later.

1998: North Melbourne lost to Adelaide by 35. Went on to appear in GF 1 year later which they won.

1999: Carlton lost to North by 35. Yet to appear in GF 13 years later.

2000: Melbourne lost to Essendon by 60. Went on to appear in GF 21 years later which they won.

2001: Essendon lost to Brisbane by 26. Yet to appear in GF 21 years later.

2002: Collingwood lost to Brisbane by 9. Went on to appear in GF 1 year later which they lost. Won flag 8 years after 2002.

2003: Collingwood lost to Brisbane by 50. Went on to appear in GF 7 years later which they won.

2004: Brisbane lost to Port Adelaide by 40. Yet to appear in GF 18 years later.

2005: West Coast lost to Sydney by 4. Went on to appear in GF 1 year later which they won.

2006: Sydney lost to West Coast by 1. Went on to appear in GF 6 years later which they won.

2007: Port Adelaide lost to Geelong by 119. Yet to appear in GF 16 years later.

2008: Geelong lost to Hawthorn by 26. Went on to appear in GF 1 year later which they won.

2009: St Kilda lost to Geelong by 12. Went on to appear in GF 1 year later which they lost. Yet to win flag 13 years later.

2010: St Kilda lost to Collingwood by 56. Yet to appear in GF 12 years later.

2011: Collingwood lost to Geelong by 38. Went on to appear in GF 7 years later. Yet to win flag 11 years later.

2012: Hawthorn lost to Sydney by 10. Went on to appear in GF 1 year later which they won.

2013: Fremantle lost to Hawthorn by 15. Yet to appear in GF 9 years later.

2014: Sydney lost to Hawthorn by 63. Went on to appear in GF 2 years later which they lost. Yet to win flag 8 years later.

2015: West Coast lost to Hawthorn by 46. Went on to appear in GF 3 years later which they won.

2016: Sydney lost to Western Bulldogs by 22. Went on to appear in GF 6 years later which they lost. Yet to win flag 6 years later.

2017: Adelaide lost to Richmond by 48. Yet to appear in GF 5 years later.

Of the sides that lost a grand final by less than 40 points, 7 out of 14 appeared in another grand final in 5 years or less, and 4 out of 14 won a flag in 5 years or less.

Of the sides that lost a grand final by 40 points or more, 6 out of 14 appeared in another grand final in 5 years or less, and 4 out of 14 won a flag in 5 years or less.

In my view, this means there is no real correlation between grand final losing margin whether you will make another granny or win a flag within 5 years. As you can see, about half of grand final losers reappear on grand final day within a few years but only about a quarter will win a premiership in that time frame.

To draw a broader conclusion, I think we can say that if your club loses a grand final, regardless of the margin, you’ll probably be waiting another 5 years at least for a flag. They are hard to win. You might also argue that Port's 2007 grand final loss was in a class of its own and truly set the club back.

higher correlation if you look at post 2000 only. I wonder if the heavier reliance on the draft is the main reason behind it.

higher correlation if you look at post 2000 only. I wonder if the heavier reliance on the draft is the main reason behind it.

Early 2000’s there were a few compensation picks handed out that assisted Hawks and West Coast particularly, and Geelong went through a period of unprecedented father sons. These clubs were also well run and made the most of the advantages the comp gave them. Come late 2009’s comp added two teams - which meant several drafts (as well as the pre selections) stopped most clubs in their tracks trying to improve/rebuild via the draft
This stopped around 2013 and we have seen the first rebuilds - Richmond and Melbourne, even the Dogs - come through and have success. Sydney have their academy and everyone else is trying to catch up!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of us are disappointed about Geelong's premiership win. But it does go to show that you can look forward to being in, and remaining in, contention with older players in your team. They just have to be good. What I'm trying to get at is: if a lot of your best 22 is over 30, it doesn't necessarily mean your premiership window has passed.

That is probably a really good point that is often overlooked. 2017 wasn't the potential start of a dynasty for us. It was the end of the build of a decent team, which really started in 2015.
It was cool how Phil Walsh correctly predicted that this list is looking to contend in 2017. It was tragic that he didn't live to lead them in 2017.

Most of us are disappointed about Geelong's premiership win. But it does go to show that you can look forward to being in, and remaining in, contention with older players in your team. They just have to be good. What I'm trying to get at is: if a lot of your best 22 is over 30, it doesn't necessarily mean your premiership window has passed.
Works for them (and other big Vic clubs) as they can attract seasoned, top shelf players (usually ex-Vic going home).

Us, it's rare we can do that - Dawson & Rankine (fingers crossed) being very unusual occurrences.

We have to rely on the draft and developing players picked later and then maybe sell for draft capital - eg. Cameron, McNuggets, Sloane (could have).

Why aren’t we talking about how a man who played over 130 (mostly quality) games for Adelaide, is now servicing another club and helping mentor former Adelaide players at that club.

How does the AFC manage to do this to itself? You have to really try hard to f*ck relationships that well.

Tom Browne reporting that Brad Scott likely to get the Essendon job

If true Adem Yze must be wondering what else he can do

Wonder if Yze is seen as a career Assistant Coach like Scott Burns.

Yze was who I wanted ahead of Nicks.

Maybe he will still be available when Nicks is gone.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He might end up being another Brian Royal who was an assistant at almost every club in Victoria, but was continually overlooked for every head coaching role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back