News Non-Crows AFLW 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw the quarter time score in the Carlton - Gold Coast game today and Gold Coast were up three goals to one.

Final score, Carlton wins 87 - 27 :oops:
I remember when Gold Coast recruited Brisbane’s star defenders Kaslar and Virgo I was like well at least they’d have a half decent defence, then they of course went on to play them as forwards. How long can you blame the extra pre-seasons for how poor these expansions teams are against these physically stronger teams though?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Especially as I can’t see the AFL expanding the league for at least 5 years given how uncompetitive the expansion teams have been (North Melbourne excluded)
On the contrary, I think they'll expand soon as a way of trying to fix the inequities. Set up some rules that mean established sides can be raided at will while the struggling sides are mostly untouched, in the hope of making things more competitive overnight.

On the contrary, I think they'll expand soon as a way of trying to fix the inequities. Set up some rules that mean established sides can be raided at will while the struggling sides are mostly untouched, in the hope of making things more competitive overnight.

Yeah looks like it’s on the table for 2023, which is far too soon IMO.

Unless we go divisions (not conferences)

Div 1 - the original 8 sides + North Melbourne
Div 2 - everyone else

This will allow sides of a similar ability to play each other, and we get better quality games as a result.

Of course, have promotion/relegation to reward those in Div 2 that have shown legit improvement.

Once the gap between the 2 divisions is narrowed, then go the full 18 team comp.

DO they add all 4 teams without a team
Or just the 2 that have shown a desire to want one NOW (Hawthorn and Essendon)
Or do they take the middle ground and go the 3 that want one (all but Poort)

There will be enormous pressure for them to add a Port side if we win the premiership again this Saturday.

There is an impression that we have been able to scoop all of this crazy talent by having exclusive access to SA (and NT for a while). I would argue that's not really the case, but it's tough to argue with three flags out of four.

Yeah looks like it’s on the table for 2023, which is far too soon IMO.

Unless we go divisions (not conferences)

Div 1 - the original 8 sides + North Melbourne
Div 2 - everyone else

This will allow sides of a similar ability to play each other, and we get better quality games as a result.

Of course, have promotion/relegation to reward those in Div 2 that have shown legit improvement.

Once the gap between the 2 divisions is narrowed, then go the full 18 team comp.
Divisions are far too complex for Australians to understand.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

If they bring in Port it'll just be another West Coast or Gold Coast. Totally not competitive

That's the worry though, they might look at those two sides and say "let's not make that mistake again!" and give them much more ability to raid lists. And since AFLW is still very much a part time thing, they will primarily look to take women already based in SA.

That's the worry though, they might look at those two sides and say "let's not make that mistake again!" and give them much more ability to raid lists. And since AFLW is still very much a part time thing, they will primarily look to take women already based in SA.

I'm pretty sure the expansion teams did have a decent ability to raid lists given AFLW's short contracts, mandated turnover and the salary structure.

The issue was mostly that players from the existing teams didn't want to leave. I think that will only get worse as players being tempted by new expansion teams would know what they are in for.

The only way I could see it working is giving the expansion teams an unfair advantage eg. higher salaries for star players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back