Oppo Camp Non Eagles AFL discussion thread (Cont. in Part II)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair im not hugely upset about not getting Kelly. I really didnt think anyone would go that early, and i don't think our recruiters did either. I knew carlton would take him at 30 but thought if we took him at 26 we'd be safe.

How crazy is it that Nathan Lyon of all people will likely be 4th on the list of all time test wickets taken for Australia in the not too distant future.

How crazy is it that Nathan Lyon of all people will likely be 4th on the list of all time test wickets taken for Australia in the not too distant future.

TBH there's a combination of reasons.

1. He's been the only semi decent spinner we've had since warne retired
2. Much more tests played in the modern era
3. World series cricket
4. Fast Bowlers generally bowl a lot less overs
5. Fast Bowlers get injured more often and more seriously
6. Warne kept Macgill out of the side so much.

7. He's worked very hard his whole career at getting the best out of himself which is very admirable because he certainly is nowhere near the most talented.

To be fair im not hugely upset about not getting Kelly. I really didnt think anyone would go that early, and i don't think our recruiters did either. I knew carlton would take him at 30 but thought if we took him at 26 we'd be safe.
You weren’t following the news then Phil. It was obvious that, if we took O Allen we missed Tim Kelly. We took a low percentage punt. Didn’t like it at the time and liking it less each time i see Kelly in blue and white hoops.

Who knows? Maybe Oscar Allen will prove to be very good. But having secured Brander with our first, and with such a weak midfield, it looked a no-brainer to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back