Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean the last game where he was concussed in the first quarter and barely remembers anything about the game, and is going to be a significant contributing factor to him having ongoing problems for the rest of his life?
At the end of the day concussion has been talked about quite significantly for at least the past 5-10 years now.

Its been taken more serious then ever before in all sports.

The players are aware of the risks now that the players of previous generations didnt know.

Its probably why you cant blame a player for taking the $$$ when on offer the risks they are taking to play the game.

We encouraged our son to give up footy after 3 concussions close together - and two actually being hits off the ball in club footy where the 1-2 umpires (who are kids themselves half the time) are instructed to watch the play, so can't be expected to see what's going on behind play. Before that he had 4 years with Tendai and Roger in our NGA. No interest in playing footy after that but has loved seeing his NGA mate Josh Draper get his chance. Just not worth being brain dead at 30. I don't begrudge him giving it up at all.

We encouraged our son to give up footy after 3 concussions close together - and two actually being hits off the ball in club footy where the 1-2 umpires (who are kids themselves half the time) are instructed to watch the play, so can't be expected to see what's going on behind play. Before that he had 4 years with Tendai and Roger in our NGA. No interest in playing footy after that but has loved seeing his NGA mate Josh Draper get his chance. Just not worth being brain dead at 30. I don't begrudge him giving it up at all.
It's very sad these scenarios can arise. We all love the footy for the crash n' bash nature of it, but there's serious risk (and not always reward) in what can happen because of the physicality of it. Sometimes we forget how much these people put their bodies on the line, especially in the professional domain. I hope your son is not impacted by these concussions to the point of detriment going forward; health before wealth every day

I've often wondered why the AFL don't make helmets mandatory? A few players wear them anyway obviously - would Angus have had a longer career if he wore a helmut right from juniors? Get some manufacturers on board to design something sleek and introduce them at AFL level, the lower leagues would soon follow suit. And the more they sell the more they can reinvest in making them better and better. It seems like such a simple solution, and could well save the AFL 100s of millions down the track...

I've often wondered why the AFL don't make helmets mandatory? A few players wear them anyway obviously - would Angus have had a longer career if he wore a helmut right from juniors? Get some manufacturers on board to design something sleek and introduce them at AFL level, the lower leagues would soon follow suit. And the more they sell the more they can reinvest in making them better and better. It seems like such a simple solution, and could well save the AFL 100s of millions down the track...

IIRC they don't actually do anything to stop concussions. If you cop a hit to the head the brain is still going to rattle around.

When studied it showed helmets do not reduce incidents of concussion, they actually increased them because the athletes were more prone to engaging in risky play, and that if one player wears a helmet then it increases the risk of injury in other players (cuts etc) unless all other players also wear them.

Since your brain is floating in the skull any skull impact is prone to concussion. Any sudden changes of direction or speed will too.

That is terrible mate and a shit league if players are getting knocked out off the ball .
Some questions need to be asked there of the umpiring and tribunal standards.
I’m flabbergasted to be honest .
Have been involved in club footy as a coach/ umpire for 15 years plus the 10 or so years I played before that and I can’t say I’ve seen that too many times let alone happen to one player.

Word is the Pies are looking at Hayden's brother Lachie Young to replace Murphy at the mid-season draft, who wasn't good enough to hold down a spot in Norf's depleted backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing that has been glossed over by all and sundry in the wash up to the Port loss is are they at full strength?

I’m sure I’m forgetting someone but I can’t even think of 1 best 22 type that they are missing

Any team can get lucky and have a good year on the injury front but to not be missing anyone of note at this time of year is bloody unheard of

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

One thing that has been glossed over by all and sundry in the wash up to the Port loss is are they at full strength?

I’m sure I’m forgetting someone but I can’t even think of 1 best 22 type that they are missing

Any team can get lucky and have a good year on the injury front but to not be missing anyone of note at this time of year is bloody unheard of

Err Finlayson..

Boak, and Lord who kicked 4 goals vs Brisbane in the QF, though they have Georgiades back so he's probably behind the other forwards now

Hawkins and Dangerfield are back so the Cats are pretty much as injury free as you'll get.
Gee, that Chris Scott rookie coach goes alright. How often are Geelong rebuilding...?!?!

There or there abouts in 2024? Well blow me down!

These look awesome, particularly the Adelaide Jumper! I hope Freo have one planned for Anzac day

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240417_140418_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240417_140418_Facebook.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20240417_140730_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240417_140730_Facebook.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 64

Remove this Banner Ad

Back