Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

As someone that worked as an electrician often using the method for a rough measure of a distance running cable, a full stride is surprisingly close to 1m. Imo if he only took 15 steps or strides there no way he ran more than 15m.

Yeah I counted that he took 15 steps. Ffs why would you pay that

So far this season:

Carlton beating Freo
Essendon beating Adelaide
Collingwood beating Adelaide

All with significantly controversial umpiring decisions influencing the outcomes of the above games.

That may be the difference been 1-2 big Victorian clubs in finals and 3.

I'm sure the AFL is happy.
****ing hell with the goal umpire **** up that cost them finals last year Crows have been royally ****ed over in recent times

As someone that worked as an electrician often using the method for a rough measure of a distance running cable, a full stride is surprisingly close to 1m. Imo if he only took 15 steps or strides there no way he ran more than 15m.
I think you are greatly underestimating the stride length of an elite footballer at full speed.

I think you are greatly underestimating the stride length of an elite footballer at full speed.
Depends on how the umpires judge it. If they use steps usually, then the decision was incorrect. If they use steps usually and this umpire used another method on this particular occasion, than that is inconsistent at best.

Izak is 5 ft 10, he's not Usain Bolt.

Try it yourself and measure it.

In saying that he was running at full pace and more in a straight line than I thought so maybe a bit longer but if he was over it wouldn't have been by much.

Depends on how the umpires judge it. If they use steps usually, then the decision was incorrect. If they use steps usually and this umpire used another method on this particular occasion, than that is inconsistent at best.
I reckon it's just something you have a feel for and they actually usually get right.

That the commentators didn't notice live or I assume most spectators I think that says something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely didn’t look too far in real time, and doesn’t look too far in replay either. I think that makes it a bad call even if they pull out the virtual ruler and show it was technically too far - afl should be telling umps not to pay the “technically correct but normally not paid” frees in the last 5 minutes of a game. All they do is add controversy and ill feeling.

In saying that he was running at full pace and more in a straight line than I thought so maybe a bit longer but if he was over it wouldn't have been by much.

I remember, in my younger days, I could clear one of those industrial roads in Osborne Park in four or five steps sprinting across them.

He just needed to bounce it again and back himself in to make a highlight for the ages. Like Lance Franklin bouncing his way along the same ground.

Fox Footy will measure it at some point in time and I'm certain it will be greater than 15 metres, probably closer to 20.

We will find out soon I'm sure.

Fox Footy will measure it at some point in time and I'm certain it will be greater than 15 metres, probably closer to 20.

We will find out soon I'm sure.
I'm sure most people's gripe is the inconsistency of the decision. Gets paid one time in thirty.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm sure most people's gripe is the inconsistency of the decision. Gets paid one time in thirty.

And picking that particular free just reeks of trying to influence the result.

The ump was looking for any possible opportunity to give a free against Adelaide at that stage of the match, and that borderline infringement (although technically correct) was good enough for him. I could almost guarantee that it wouldn't have been given in the previous 79 minutes of that game.

agreed. i have no doubt that he ran more than 15m, but by the standards of how they call it, ridiculous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back