Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on a Reid sidenote, next time someone goes in to tackle him, they're ready for the fend off (or knee buckle) and instead punch him forcefully in his armpit. Would hurt.
Maybe grab the fending arm then into a single underhook DDT?

A few players have taken Dusty down by slapping/sweeping the arm downwards or to the side. Yeo from memory was the first person to do it, but even a midget like Zac Fisher was able to take him down. Surprised players aren't prepared for it with Reid.

Just on a Reid sidenote, next time someone goes in to tackle him, they're ready for the fend off (or knee buckle) and instead punch him forcefully in his armpit. Would hurt.

Here’s a question about the fend off.

If a player puts their arm out to fend off, and it is grabbed by their opponent, who holds on and in the action wrenches the fenders shoulder joint. Is the opponent in strife ?.

I see it as the grabbing of the arm as a legitimate tackle, trying to immobilise the ability to dispose of the ball legally. As for the wrench (due to both players moving in different directions), that should be ok.

A few players have taken Dusty down by slapping/sweeping the arm downwards or to the side. Yeo from memory was the first person to do it, but even a midget like Zac Fisher was able to take him down. Surprised players aren't prepared for it with Reid.
Everyone seems to have forgotten that Reid tried to fend off Serong in teh 3rd quarter of Rd 6 and was caught HTB because Serong grabbed his arm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as Freo analysis, and I realise I'm saying this on a Non-Freo discussion thread, but Mick McGuane on the radio is surprisingly knowledgeable about Fremantle. (On Sport FM they do a weekly replay from one of the sports gambling stations, I think it's RSN, where MM gives weekly tips for punters). Example: after the Derby loss he tipped us going into the Western Bulldogs and mentioned not to underestimate the difference the return of Chapman and Frederick make to our ball movement, and more recently he was knowledgeable enough to talk about our depth players in the WAFL like Erasmus and Brodie.

I compare that to Rohan Connolly's podcast on Footyology with Rocket Eade who I do respect but Eade pretty much says every week, Ryan and Pearce are good players and Fremantle have a good young midfield. Connolly's formula is that he'll talk about any away game we play like it's still the 2016-2020 version of Fremantle and then complains that Freo always let him down when he tips us before moving on to the next game.

David "sh*tkebabs" King is just a D---head.
Mick McGuane is an absolute nutcase, well hated in Melbourne. also a huge huge pisshead.

Stephen Hill, who was tagged from him third game, says welcome to the party pal
And in his next 150 or so never adapted to it and was a shell of a player.

Too nice of a bloke for his own good (or was he? anyone remember that very interesting rumour about him and Pav...).

If you had the skills of Stephen and arrogance of Bradley you'd borderline have the best player of the 21st century. and I hate hyperbole.

Too nice of a bloke for his own good (or was he? anyone remember that very interesting rumour about him and Pav...).

He is. One of my mates had a bit to do with him and he said he is one of the nicest guys you will meet.

That story from Kane Cornes about no one blocking for Hill when he was tagging him and Cornes being shocked by it has always stuck with me.

Other teams look after their weapons. We never did
Freo has never really had a sense of camaraderie. it's a real shame and I think the main reason we haven't even taken advantage of our potential.

We had some glimpses and they were always highly memorable games. we're really soft at the moment too. thought it was insanely pissweak how we just smiled and nodded when Brayshaw got smacked. he was what, 20 at the time?

Freo has never really had a sense of camaraderie. it's a real shame and I think the main reason we haven't even taken advantage of our potential.

We had some glimpses and they were always highly memorable games. we're really soft at the moment too. thought it was insanely pissweak how we just smiled and nodded when Brayshaw got smacked. he was what, 20 at the time?
was that what happened? lol jeeze some weird takes going on here at the moment.

Lyon had to talk Ballantyne down from getting suspended for the rest of time getting revenge on Gaff for that hit on Brayshaw.

They wanted blood. I remember a moment when Luke Ryan and another player both let the ball pass to shut the lift doors on him

The whistle needs to be blown far quicker on tackles.

There was a moment early in the quarter where Blakey just about lifted his opponent off the floor and the umpire didn't blow the whistle and he managed to get a kick away.

It's like they're tempting the players to throw them over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back