Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect the AFL thought it would take a substantial amount of time to get the game ingrained up in the northern states ..and thats if they did eveything right..which they have not. However Im not convinced that they ever thought it was all about the now or the near now... sure they hope a quick start would be good ..and they probably hoped for very early success but to think anything other than long term would have been poor concept. To me its almost like immigration. For anyone with descendants who arrived in aust in the last 200 years one must gauge that all our bloodlines came from elsewhere... one suspects that those people who immigrated never really got past being a new Australian yet their kids , and their kids kids.. probably looked at it in a far different light.. so its a multigenerational attempt to spread the code into non traditional areas. If the can get the kids, kids... and they probably only need 5% of the market to make it work.

Maybe it never works , maybe its a step too far certainly there is no obvious current interest... but I wonder was there any in sydney? That market must have had a similar challenge , trying to sell a game with no emotional ties and looked upon as rubbish from the south.

On Tassy... I have no reason why they couldnt have a team just that I can see how in the eyes of those who make choices that a mature market that is getting served by fly-ins atm... maybe they dont see a great expansion opportunity. The stories that always get brought up about the adversarial relationship between Launceston and Hobart probably plays a minor role in it but I suspect the projections on pop growth for the next 20 or 30 years for those northern states probably means that is seen as having more upside. Id agree that its treating the current supporters with a bit of contempt.. but is that any different to whats been done numerous times since 1987 ..since the expansion of the VFL into a national comp started. How many handouts and favourable treatments have been gifted to started up clubs ... in the aim of growing the comp and the business.
It's all about the bottom dollar, which would come as a surprise to nobody.
But Tasmanian bids have proven time and again that the money, support and passion is there.
It falls on deaf ears of course.
The north/south divide is overstated, and is a favourite tool of Gil's to pour cold water on Tasmania getting any traction.
As long as Gil is in charge, there will be no Tasmanian team. He has stated this himself.
Of course, he will not wear the damage that this is doing, and will ultimately keep doing to the state of the game here.
It only takes a generation...soccer is already MUCH bigger in schools here than footy.

Ask them whether the games should be played in Hobart or Launceston, then pull up a chair and some popcorn.....
it will be played in Hobart AND Launceston.
As has been outlined in the latest futile pitch to the AFL overlords.
But keep overstating it by all means. Gil would be proud.

Ask them whether the games should be played in Hobart or Launceston, then pull up a chair and some popcorn.....

Next question - will it be Boags or Cascade that will be a sponsor because that will also cause issues.

I can't remember finding Boags on tap when I've been in Hobart and on my last trip to Launceston I did a tour of the Boags factory & they even said that it's easier to find mainland beer than Casade when in Launceston.

It's definitely a divided state

Next question - will it be Boags or Cascade that will be a sponsor because that will also cause issues.

I can't remember finding Boags on tap when I've been in Hobart and on my last trip to Launceston I did a tour of the Boags factory & they even said that it's easier to find mainland beer than Casade when in Launceston.

It's definitely a divided state
If you look hard enough you can find division.
Have worked and holidayed there many times and was not hit by this division.

Not overstating it by any means Max. I lived there for many years, so have plenty of first hand experience.
It's completely overstated when it comes to football.
There are two AFL standard grounds in Tasmania, and each will used equally if a team is granted.
The "division" noise has been resurrected again recently by a certain Mr Kennett, who strangely enough doesn't want to hand over his horrendous club's revenue stream to a Tasmanian team.
I can assure you that this north/south BS is only brought up to suit agendas, and the younger generation here in Tasmania simply scoff at it.
I was at a wedding Saturday night at the Bellerive Yacht Club. Boags and Cascade on tap, right next to each other.
NEWS FLASH: it is not 1978 any more.
MONA FOMA was held in Launceston this year instead of Hobart, and will be again next year.
Zero complaints from Hobartians, who are happy to share it, and even (gasp!) travelled to Launceston to take part.

Of course, seeing as Gold Coast has such a strong heritage in our game, let's deny Tasmania because there is a north/south division.
That makes perfect sense.

There are a lot of words here, but if you are interested have a read of the following. It is an excerpt from Martin Flanagan's speech to the famous North Hobart Football Club, the club his dad played for, and the club my daughter now plays for.

Just one of the proud clubs that should be strong and viable but, because of AFL bastardry, has had to fight for its history, indentity and existence...

If I were to licence a psychiatrist to examine the AFL, the first question I would get that psychiatrist to ask the AFL’s leading executives is this: do you think you’re a corporation? Because you’re not. You didn’t create the asset. You say Tasmania can’t afford an AFL team but you invest $21 million a year into Greater Western Sydney. The truth is you choose to invest in GWS in a way that you’re not prepared to invest in Tasmania. The AFL clearly thinks it’s pretty good at what it does. In 2016, when the Australian Prime Minister was paid $516,000, the AFL had 12 executives making, on average, $734,500. No doubt, if challenged, the AFL would give you the old corporate line that to get the best people you’ve got to pay top dollar. I say the best people in footy are the ones out there doing it every weekend for nothing. They’re the true believers, the ones who carry the spirit of the game and make it available to the next generation. In 2016, each of the Tasmanian Statewide league clubs received less than one seventh of the average salary of the AFL’s top executives. But whose opinions on the current crisis in Tasmanian football do I take most seriously? People like Thane Brady, president of North Launceston, John McCann, president of Glenorchy, Craig Martin, president of North Hobart. These are the people who must now be heard, not just in Tasmania, but nationally. Tasmania is Australian football’s canary in the mine.

One of the AFL’s chief delusions over the past 25 years is that it is the Australian equivalent of the American NFL. Each year a train of AFL personnel have, at profligate expense to the game, travelled to America and attended the Superbowl. Australian football is not to be likened to American football for three important reasons. The first is that America is a mass exporter of culture – we are an importer of culture. This means our game was always vulnerable in a way theirs never was. The second reason is that the NFL is embedded in the American education system – in their high schools. It also rests on the platform of college football. Our game used to be embedded in the education system but is not any more. We do not have the platform of college sport. Our game has only two levels – the AFL and grass roots. If Australian football dies at the grassroots, so will the game.

The AFL is not a corporation. Indeed, in the words of one Tasmanian club president, “If they were a corporation, and the product (that is, the game) wasn’t so good, they’d have gone broke by now”. Nor is the AFL an elected government. If it were an elected government, it would have reason to fear the next election. What has happened in Tasmania over the past 30 years amounts to a degree of mismanagement that would make it a scandal were it to occur in politics. Four years ago, at a time when the AFL was congratulating itself on its billion dollar broadcasting deal, the Tasmanian Statewide League did not even have a cash sponsor and the competition’s profile had dropped so low that clubs were finding it difficult to get sponsors for individual players. The AFL has now requested that the Tasmanian clubs not take their complaints to the media but instead take them to the AFL. I say the public has a right to know, for example, that the president of a major Tasmanian club who disagreed with an AFL initiative was told that he risked having his club relegated to a minor league and a so-called “franchise” put in its place. This was a club, incidentally, that had contributed more than 20 players to VFL/AFL clubs.

Prior to the creation of the AFL in 1990 when the game was administered by the VFL, no-one called the game “VFL” – it was called Australian rules. The fact that the game is now commonly called AFL has fed the fatal illusion that the AFL is the game. What is the AFL? It’s a big bureaucracy that imposes top-down solutions on what it perceives as problems, whether or not the problems exist. A lot of people are now being paid a lot of money to interfere with the game. The best news for Australian football at the moment is women’s football. That’s where the energy is, the growth. Sure enough, the AFL wants to interfere with that. I say to women footballers – you know in your hearts the game you want to play, women have known it for 100 years: don’t settle for less now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect the AFL thought it would take a substantial amount of time to get the game ingrained up in the northern states ..and thats if they did eveything right..which they have not. However Im not convinced that they ever thought it was all about the now or the near now... sure they hope a quick start would be good ..and they probably hoped for very early success but to think anything other than long term would have been poor concept. To me its almost like immigration. For anyone with descendants who arrived in aust in the last 200 years one must gauge that all our bloodlines came from elsewhere... one suspects that those people who immigrated never really got past being a new Australian yet their kids , and their kids kids.. probably looked at it in a far different light.. so its a multigenerational attempt to spread the code into non traditional areas. If the can get the kids, kids... and they probably only need 5% of the market to make it work.

I agree with you that the AFL was always pursuing a long-term strategy. Problem for them now is that the trajectory is tracking all the wrong way. The club has actually got more shambolic across its short history (which is really saying something), to the point where they are now massively 'damaged goods' from a media perspective as well. How does any young person (or casual observer) want to get more invested or interested in a team as poor as this one? Their level of irrelevance is truly frightening. Until/unless that turns around, I don't see that it matters how many years you exist. People are still going to view you as entirely risible.

Maybe it never works , maybe its a step too far certainly there is no obvious current interest... but I wonder was there any in sydney? That market must have had a similar challenge , trying to sell a game with no emotional ties and looked upon as rubbish from the south.

It's pretty telling that the Lions won three consecutive premierships up here and yet the crowds died off catastrophically once the success was no longer forthcoming. Tells you something about how much Queensland is ever likely to really 'love' our national game. And the Lions, like the Swans have at different stages, at least had the benefit of a high-profile luminary of the game as coach at some point. Even GWS had Sheeds as a foundational figure that had massive profile and gravitas in the game. By contrast, McKenna to Eade to Dew is a recipe for 'Who is that bloke?', when it comes to having your coach act as a drawcard in a challenging marketplace.

On Tassy... I have no reason why they couldnt have a team just that I can see how in the eyes of those who make choices that a mature market that is getting served by fly-ins atm... maybe they dont see a great expansion opportunity. The stories that always get brought up about the adversarial relationship between Launceston and Hobart probably plays a minor role in it but I suspect the projections on pop growth for the next 20 or 30 years for those northern states probably means that is seen as having more upside. Id agree that its treating the current supporters with a bit of contempt.. but is that any different to whats been done numerous times since 1987 ..since the expansion of the VFL into a national comp started. How many handouts and favourable treatments have been gifted to started up clubs ... in the aim of growing the comp and the business.

I also totally agree with you about why they won't put a team down south. After all, unlike the massive growth area that is SEQ, there is a definite ceiling on how lucrative it could be for the bean-counters at AFL House. All of which doesn't change the fact that it is a heartland that is massively undervalued (and basically ignored). So, despite the fact a Tassie team would be very likely to have some guaranteed solid outcomes well in excess of the money pit they have running up here right now, the AFL is still clinging to the hope that their inane projections of a mass conversion of us Queenslanders would see rivers of gold flow into their swelling coffers. It's more unlikely than Blitz winning the Coleman, of course, but they're prepared to sacrifice stacks of integrity and goodwill with their core constituency in their unprincipled pursuit of the dollar.

And for all the AFL execs on their bloated salaries and with their inflated sense of self-importance, they wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited:
I would love a Tassie team. State has given a lot to footy.
With the GC I think we actually have to take a harder look at GWS.
If you take out the Canberra games the support is dismal.
They are making finals and get lower crowds than the Suns who are shite.
Imagine how bad theyll struggle win they are poor.
Not sure about this year but in previous years have averaged bigger crowds than the Titans.
RL is more of a TV sport though.

Suns to Tassie, GWS to Canberra. Solved!

It's all about the bottom dollar, which would come as a surprise to nobody.
But Tasmanian bids have proven time and again that the money, support and passion is there.
It falls on deaf ears of course.
The north/south divide is overstated, and is a favourite tool of Gil's to pour cold water on Tasmania getting any traction.
As long as Gil is in charge, there will be no Tasmanian team. He has stated this himself.
Of course, he will not wear the damage that this is doing, and will ultimately keep doing to the state of the game here.
It only takes a generation...soccer is already MUCH bigger in schools here than footy.

Is it all possible that they could build a Docklands type stadium down there.. id have thought you best chance is ..to build it and then they might come

Is it all possible that they could build a Docklands type stadium down there.. id have thought you best chance is ..to build it and then they might come
I was involved in a plan in the 80s to build a new stadium at the current Royal Hobart Showgrounds. This was just one of the early pitches for a Tasmanian team (long before anyone conceived of Gold Coast or GWS). The pitch was well-supported, with Michael Kent who was head of Woolworths at that stage taking up the mantle. (I interviewed both Kevin Sheedy and Max Walker as part of the video pitch!)
Anyway, long story short, that opportunity is no longer viable.
Heaps of money has been spent on both Bellerive and Launceston in the meantime, and they are both fantastic venues to watch football.
As long as the current regime is in charge, no amount of logical argument will sway them.
That is the real (and only) obstacle.

That is the real (and only) obstacle.

Uhmmm no....

A loooong time ago, I did a schoolboys tour to Tassie for a 3 game series...first game in Launcestion, the fog was so thick I couldn't see the bounce from CHB....

images

This might work though.....

Uhmmm no....

A loooong time ago, I did a schoolboys tour to Tassie for a 3 game series...first game in Launcestion, the fog was so thick I couldn't see the bounce from CHB....

images

This might work though.....
LOL I once played a game of cricket on a ground out of Horsham on the Western Freeway where you couldn't see the batsmen while fielding on the mid wicket boundary one side of the ground as it fell away so steeply.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back