Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
it seems way too hard to expect footballers who are guided by their own club what to take and ingest to be checking stuff at all ..now we have to check multiple organisations ..what happens if it was on the usada website and not wada or the canadian one ..mehh ... I really doubt it would standup in court now them changing the website the day before.

The Australian football game is not an international game. Its played in aust. If its not on the aust website then game over for mine. asada have been shown to be incompetent. They are used to pushing around individual athletes..but when it got big ..it got too big for them.

The club was at fault. The players were not individually taking this stuff by themselves.. the system was setup to stop individuals cheating... and it seems it has struggled to stop systematic cheating.. never caught armstrong. Did they catch the russians? I feel very sorry for the ess players.. how many really could have said ..NO Im not taking that...especially when you had a club legend in charge ..and the club motto at the time was ..."what ever it takes"

Totally agree with the last paragraph - the players paid the price for the clubs error

I read a good line earlier regarding approved supplements and the banned list etc - 'if it's not on the approved list, then consider it a banned substances'

They were saying on the Today Show this morning the drugs in question had been banned since 2010, but the website was updated the day before the Essendon stuff came out.

The rep..sorry cant remember his name ... was scream with his position of rightness that they should have checked the website ..right thru that saga..

Again.. IF it was banned since 2010..why was it just the day before that they updated the website... the website that the Ess players were supposed to use to check if it was legal. Stinks. The club should have ensured it was legal.. the players should have had minimal punishment..

Totally agree with the last paragraph - the players paid the price for the clubs error

I read a good line earlier regarding approved supplements and the banned list etc - 'if it's not on the approved list, then consider it a banned substances'

In that respect ..id be all for having a system like that .. Its only legal to take a,b,c etc ..cause the chem guys are always ahead.

I think we're all conveniently overlooking one thing.
Why pump ANYTHING into your body without question?
Dumb as dogshite.
The discusion here is even if they had a question ..they would have gone to the website and it would not have been on there as banned

Players..some kids.. in a pro sport environment ..and the clubs says we are pushing the envelope but its all legal... not many players would say sorry dont believe you and Im not taking it. I know there was one player that refused at Ess because he doesnt like needle but I doubt many in the 25-40 place on the list would have the status to be able to do that.

Broader question. Do any of us question every single thing we eat and drink and take? The guys the got food poining on Anzac Day ..maybe they should have had all their food certified. What about the powders some people take that recently when tested .. contain substances that were not on the label..its a bottomless pit....there has to be a level of trust when you do not control everything you put in your body.

Overall imo , if the doctor gives you something you may ask about it , you may do some superficial check about it but then we take it. Do we test what was in the vial, do we say to the doctor no Im not taking that? Perhaps... I do agree its different for athletes..obviously a doctor may prescribe steriods etc. but when its all done with club.. gee the club has employed the pros that know their job.and you follow the path..

The discusion here is even if they had a question ..they would have gone to the website and it would not have been on there as banned

Players..some kids.. in a pro sport environment ..and the clubs says we are pushing the envelope but its all legal... not many players would say sorry dont believe you and Im not taking it. I know there was one player that refused at Ess because he doesnt like needle but I doubt many in the 25-40 place on the list would have the status to be able to do that.

Broader question. Do any of us question every single thing we eat and drink and take? The guys the got food poining on Anzac Day ..maybe they should have had all their food certified. What about the powders some people take that recently when tested .. contain substances that were not on the label..its a bottomless pit....there has to be a level of trust when you do not control everything you put in your body.

Overall imo , if the doctor gives you something you may ask about it , you may do some superficial check about it but then we take it. Do we test what was in the vial, do we say to the doctor no Im not taking that? Perhaps... I do agree its different for athletes..obviously a doctor may prescribe steriods etc. but when its all done with club.. gee the club has employed the pros that know their job.and you follow the path..
Ess knew what they were doing , they were even selling the results to the company for further profits

just the HS trying to make Ess look like victims again and get more clicks

Ess should had been thrown out of the competition imo

Last edited:
Just when you thought all the Johnny Diesel jokes were done with too....

Great....

GO Catters

Who pumps s**t into their body on the say-so of a friggin website?
Let alone a PROFESSIONAL athlete?
The Club was criminally negligent at best and knowingly criminal at worst..
The players were stupid, which isn't a defence in this day and age.

Yep. They're just lucky they're in the modern touchy feely era. In a previous generation they could have simply (and correctly) been banned for life.

Exactly. Remember reading in a book about the history of the GFC that the league threatened to kick us out back in the early 1900s after we'd charged South Melbourne women's members an admission fee in retaliation for the Swans doing the same earlier in the season, and the Swans complained to the league about it. That's chump charge compared to what happened at Essendon.

Who pumps s**t into their body on the say-so of a friggin website?
Let alone a PROFESSIONAL athlete?
The Club was criminally negligent at best and knowingly criminal at worst..
The players were stupid, which isn't a defence in this day and age.

The clubs duty is not being debated by me .. the punishment that fall onto the players is... as far as the website having a tick or not on certain substances.. that the system asada advices athletes to use to confirm if they has doubts in the drugs approval.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The clubs duty is not being debated by me .. the punishment that fall onto the players is... as far as the website having a tick or not on certain substances.. that the system asada advices athletes to use to confirm if they has doubts in the drugs approval.
I actually feel sorry for the younger players caught up in that.
But the idea that they were stitched up is up there with sightings of Elvis.
Here's a question for you: Did any of the poor little dears actually even bother to look up the ASADA website that supposedly had the wrong info?

Looks like Alex Keath might be stuck in hell Adelaide for another year.

I read that he could walk if no trade done - so not sure he will be staying

The asad news this morning makes them look like a corrupt bunch of cover your own backs. If they truly did only add the drug info the day before it was all announced the Ess players have been dudded..
Oh please, take Cotchin’s and the dwarfs Brownlow off them and give Jab his back!!!!

Since the Daniher deal didn't get done, we could still see Tom Papley end up at GC and Jack Martin end up at Carlton if they nominate for the draft.

Since the Daniher deal didn't get done, we could still see Tom Papley end up at GC and Jack Martin end up at Carlton if they nominate for the draft.
Isn't Papley contracted for the next 4 years?
Not sure he'll be breaking his contract to go to the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back