Non-Lions discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collingwood are riding a wave of momentum and playing on instinct.
Very similar to the way they were playing in 2018 before losing a heart breaker Grand Final.

As soon as they get burnt a couple of times from bad kicks that end up goals or lose a couple of games through errors their confidence will wane.

The second year always seems to be the hardest as a coach I reckon so it will be interesting to see how things change next year.
They did get burnt a few times in Q1 and there was a kick from Nick Daicos which turned over as well. But they seem to push it all aside and keep going at the next contest with the same mad ferocity. That's what 10 weeks of winning close ones look like I think, once Q3 Q4 clicks in, they are ready to gut run and destroy opposition. Full credit to McRae for establishing a play by instinct model in which all players seem to be having fun and enjoying it.

I don't understand how they didn't have a holding the ball paid against them in that last passage of play. They were literally just diving on it.
Yep, + every goal in every contest in every game where the ball is flying over the head of a group of players in the goal square since Linc's late "goal" against the Tigers was ruled out has been called play on and goal:mad: ie. the ball is flying overhead and players are pushing and shoving each other.

Inconsistency of rule interpretation is my biggest WTF with the game.:think::rolleyes::mad:

I sort of wondered watching that whether we're overcoached. We don't seem to want to take chances . It fell into our lap last week and then we clammed up.

Maybe we're not good enough to do it often enough. They trusted their team mates to get there every time.
I've listened to a few McRae interviews and he said that they practice these scenarios quite a bit.

I have a feeling we just don't - we just stick to one game plan (which we are very good at) but have no ability to change it up as the game evolves hence why we get off to good starts (well drilled plan A) but then often get run over by the better teams s the game goes on and they adapt and we don't (no plan B)

Watching Elliot kick that goal from the same spot that Mitch fluffed his last week s**t me, not gonna lie.
Imagine having a reliable, non-flakey forward
No point comparing. They play a style which is well bedded in now. We will play our style as its too late to change anything. If we play them in finals, lets see who wins contest in middle as its going to have a bigger say on how the game unfolds.

Yep, + every goal in every contest in every game where the ball is flying over the head of a group of players in the goal square since Linc's late "goal" against the Tigers was ruled out has been called play on and goal:mad: ie. the ball is flying overhead and players are pushing and shoving each other.

Inconsistency of rule interpretation is my biggest WTF with the game.:think::rolleyes::mad:
Watched Q4 again and I agree. Bumping the player who was kicking the ball got used by Pies a lot. No whistle. I think we should send a "please explain" to AFL and get umpires dept to comment. We don't get a good ride with them anyway, should ask the question if this is allowed now.

I've listened to a few McRae interviews and he said that they practice these scenarios quite a bit.

I have a feeling we just don't - we just stick to one game plan (which we are very good at) but have no ability to change it up as the game evolves hence why we get off to good starts (well drilled plan A) but then often get run over by the better teams s the game goes on and they adapt and we don't (no plan B)
That's a good point. When teams get desperate against us they take risks that we're unable to adapt to often enough to stop them building confidence.

The first quarter last week was a rare occasion when we did it to them but didn't have the legs or the dare to keep it up.

Then when they got a sniff we went deeply into Plan A which suited them just fine. Still we only had to execute Plan A half effectively and we would've won.

We're not saying players have lost confidence in the gameplan but it sure looks like it.

It is understandable why people are jealous of Collingwood’s recent form and self-belief at the right time of the year. It’s legit impressive.

Geez I think they are going to be another case study of the Leigh Matthews “things are never as bad or good as they seem” effect though. You simply aren’t meant to be 2nd on the ladder with a percentage of 106.

Quite a few of their prime movers are still coming towards the end. They are also going to earn themselves a very tricky fixture next year.

The new coach honeymoon also expires next year and teams will not let themselves be caught napping

Getting some 2009 Lions vibes. It’s going to be very, very hard for them to keep defying gravity and not backslide next year.

Last edited:
It is understandable why people are jealous of Collingwood’s recent form and self-belief at the right time of the year. It’s legit impressive.

Geez I think they are going to be another case study of the Leigh Matthews “things are never as bad or good as they seem” effect though. You simply aren’t meant to be 2nd on the ladder with a percentage of 106.

Quite a few of their prime movers are still coming towards the end. They are also going to earn themselves a very tricky fixture next year.

The new coach honeymoon also expires next year and teams will not let themselves be caught napping

Getting some 2009 Lions vibes. It’s going to be very, very hard for them to keep defying gravity and not backslide next year.

In before "Collingwood sign bad boy Buddy and trade promising youngster De Koning to get it done."

Finshed second bottom last year after losing basically every single close game (1-5 in games under 2 goal margin), rebound with a bottom 6 fixture and go 8-1 in games under 2 goals this year. True form line is pretty clearly somewhere in the middle - they definitely weren't the second worst list last year, and added Daicos for not much, but also pretty clearly aren't a top 2-3 team this year with a percentage of barely above 100.

Can they replace Pendles, sidebottom and Howe in the next few years is the question - young talent looks good right now, but those 3 are still very heavy lifters.

We won every single close game we played in 2020 - do you think we rested on our laurels and stopped practising end of game scenarios the following 2 years where we've lost more close games than we've won?

This crap about practising close games was spruiked by Kane Cornes late last year after port went like 6-0 and 5-1 in close games. They've gone 1-6 or 0-5 or something in close games this year. Did they forget to practice? Did the players who 'thrived under pressure' just forget how to do it this year? Or were they just really lucky last year, and then really unlucky this year.

Every team practices those scenarios. Some teams have better players who thrive under pressure. But even great teams year on year aren't guaranteed to go better than 50-50 in close games. In one of the Hawks premiership years they lost every close game they played.

But ultimately close games have a lot of luck in them - see eg the ball bouncing away from Charlie in our semi final v the dogs when he was one on one with Taylor Durea. Similarly was it genius clutch play from the magpies to concede a Harry Jones shot on goal last week that would have sealed the game if he hadn't hit the post?

Last edited:
Standing on the wing at the MCG last Sunday I’m certain I watched a set play when Mitch missed that goal. From memory it went from half back near the boundary MCC side to someone maybe just off the centre square, then they kicked it straight across the square to the other side, hit up someone, who nailed Mitch on the chest (can’t remember who had the ball on each occasion). It was quick (had to be with the clock running down) and fluent, only 3 players maybe touched it, and whoever had the pill in their hand each time knew where they were going with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bryce Gibbs discusses his experience of the controversial Adelaide Crows training camp with Andrew Hayes on SEN's Saturdays in SA.

Well spoken by Gibbs. If only the Adelaide Football Club (or at least one of their directors) could be as honest about themselves.

Are you able to provide a short summary.
Pretty much the same as Jenkins, Gibbs saw alarm bells early although he was hesitant to stand up and say something because he was brand new to the club and thought it wasn't his place to be so forthright... said he regrets that now.

He held back information from the camp "counsellor" as he didn't like the concept at all, also said the whole episode shortened his career at the club.

Yeah, Lobb and Liam Jones off to the Bulldogs.

If Jones is close to what he was like in his last season at Carlton, he'll be a big addition to their team. Decent upgrade on Keefe, Cordy and Gardiner. Lobb should be a handy upgrade on Bruce who's struggling come off the ACL.

Dogs will bounce back next year you'd think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back