Non-Lions Footy Season (2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, and our club just continuously lingers at or near the foot of the table year after year, with really no end in sight.

And let's be honest, every year, we're brainwashed by the club that it'll all turn around in the next year or so, which has been the case for over a decade.

To make matters worse, our season has been shot as early as April for the last half dozen years.
What do you want the club to say?

Yep, and our club just continuously lingers at or near the foot of the table year after year, with really no end in sight.

And let's be honest, every year, we're brainwashed by the club that it'll all turn around in the next year or so, which has been the case for over a decade.

To make matters worse, our season has been shot as early as April for the last half dozen years.

They all have senior players across each line, the only big difference. We finished middle table for 6 years with average senior players lingering. It hurts and it has been a long tine, but I truely think this is the first genuine rebuild we have done in this time, we haven't stacked picks like this before.

North would still have a much older team than us though. I assume without checking the ages. Especially if you took Hodge out.

Brown is 25, Waite 35, Tarrant, Thompson and Daw are quite old. Goldy, Ziebell, Cunnington and Higgins are old.

The core of their side is very experienced and they don't have the same young talent. They might have bounced back from last season better than us but this list won't take them anywhere.

So Dyl, who do you want to blame?

I expected us to be bottom 2 this year.

I did have North down the bottom with us, and expected GC & Carlton to finish just above us.

I was hoping/expecting our backline to click this year, and that we would get more games in to Allison & Cox as back flankers supporting the mids. My concern with the back 6 mainly centred on the lack of speed coming out of defence from our small defenders in Rich, Hodge and Witherden.

Depth of midfield talent and lack of tall forwards were my concern. We really need Keays, Mathieson and Lyons taking that next step in development to support our top line mids.

Up front, we have major issues. Hipwood is not a marking target, and I’m not sure he ever will be.

I’m just not sure we’ll ever to be able to attract a developed KPF via free agency.

Best option I can think of is bringing Eagles in to play Andrews role, and moving Andrews up forward to play the main KPF role. Or persist with McStay or Walker up forward, until we develop a better option.

Hipwood is averaging one less mark a game than Ben Brown. I feel like this whole "Hipwood can't mark" schtick is a bit incorrect. He can mark and currently breaks even in most marking contests. He is also a third year forward so the kid needs some understanding that it'll take time. He's doing bloody well given his age/experience!

Hipwood is averaging one less mark a game than Ben Brown. I feel like this whole "Hipwood can't mark" schtick is a bit incorrect. He can mark and currently breaks even in most marking contests. He is also a third year forward so the kid needs some understanding that it'll take time. He's doing bloody well given his age/experience!

Comparing him straight up to Brown is deceptive though. The reason Brown gets lauded for his marking:

2018 AFL League Contested Marks Per Game Leaders (Minimum 2 Games Played)

Rank Player Team Games Contested Marks for Last Game Average
1 Jeremy McGovern West Coast 5 3 v Carlton, Round 5 2.80
2 Majak Daw North Melbourne 3 2 v Hawthorn, Round 5 2.67
3 Lance Franklin Sydney 5 1 v Adelaide, Round 5 2.60
4 Jack Darling West Coast 5 1 v Carlton, Round 5 2.00
4 Joe Daniher Essendon 4 2 v Port Adelaide, Round 4 2.00
4 Max Gawn Melbourne 4 3 v Hawthorn, Round 4 2.00
4 Jack Riewoldt Richmond 4 3 v Brisbane, Round 4 2.00
8 Ben Brown North Melbourne 5 1 v Hawthorn, Round 5 1.80

Hipwood doesn't feature in the top 100, meaning he averages under 0.67 contested marks a game.

Comparing him straight up to Brown is deceptive though. The reason Brown gets lauded for his marking:

2018 AFL League Contested Marks Per Game Leaders (Minimum 2 Games Played)

Rank Player Team Games Contested Marks for Last Game Average
1 Jeremy McGovern West Coast 5 3 v Carlton, Round 5 2.80
2 Majak Daw North Melbourne 3 2 v Hawthorn, Round 5 2.67
3 Lance Franklin Sydney 5 1 v Adelaide, Round 5 2.60
4 Jack Darling West Coast 5 1 v Carlton, Round 5 2.00
4 Joe Daniher Essendon 4 2 v Port Adelaide, Round 4 2.00
4 Max Gawn Melbourne 4 3 v Hawthorn, Round 4 2.00
4 Jack Riewoldt Richmond 4 3 v Brisbane, Round 4 2.00
8 Ben Brown North Melbourne 5 1 v Hawthorn, Round 5 1.80

Hipwood doesn't feature in the top 100, meaning he averages under 0.67 contested marks a game.

That is fair enough and a good point regarding contested marking. While they are both KPFs, they have completely different styles. Hipwood definitely relies more on running to get that uncontested mark then the wrestled msrks that Brown is great at.

I just feel Hipwood gets a lot of unfair criticism on things that will come in time. He puts in a lot of running and presenting every game which is one of those things you don't notice watching on TV and when his leads are honoured, he is very rarely outmarked. Time is on his side and even with a slow start he is still on track for close to 40 goals. Not bad at all.

Hipwood's marking is off at the moment. His hands are just so hard. That's been the case for several months now. I reckon it is confidence related.

The other factor with Hipwood is that he doesn't get to some contests because his opponent keeps him at bay. So, he doesn't technically lose the contest because his opponent doesn't allow him to get to it. He's the equivalent of the little kid being held by the forehead while he swings away furiously.

Hipwood's marking is off at the moment. His hands are just so hard. That's been the case for several months now. I reckon it is confidence related.

The other factor with Hipwood is that he doesn't get to some contests because his opponent keeps him at bay. So, he doesn't technically lose the contest because his opponent doesn't allow him to get to it. He's the equivalent of the little kid being held by the forehead while he swings away furiously.

Do you know if the club have him on Palmolive or Dove?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bye bye Lindsay

Geelong's medical report
Selwood was concussed, required immediate on-field assessment, didn't return to the game and required ongoing treatment. Expected to miss two days of training, is a test to play this week.

Vomited in the rooms and had a headache.

As much as I dislike the Selwoods (or any player who isn't a Lion) you really don't want to hear about those sorts of things happening to anyone. Hope he feels better soon and there's no long-term consequences.

Melbourne have looked like us there for a while. Too many handballs around stoppages that end with hand overs, a bad pass/ kick and the tigers pop it over the back for a goal.

They need to get their act together

I’ve said it quite a few times, the reality of the Demons does not match the hype.

Too many in the media declaring them one of the next contenders without them proving squat.

All fart, no s**t!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back