Independent Wrestling Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Starting to think New Japan & ROH deserve their own threads and this thread should be about the indys without TV deals.
that would be bad for me as I'd have to actually look at a thread on this board apart from this one, but this board probably should push NJPW harder and try to grab some more people into NJPW, so if it helps the cause...

There's really no excuse for an Australian wrestling fan to be ignorant of NJPW. If you don't like the style, if you don't like the foreign commentary, ok that's cool, but the very best wrestling in the world is happening in basically prime time for Australia and I think a lot of Australians don't know just how easy it is to enjoy it. Meanwhile you've got people bending over backwards to watch WWE stuff which is constantly disappointing (no offence!)

(of course, before such a thread is made, some explainer guide/FAQ style stuff should be written up to help the newbies, otherwise the push might be DOA.)

watched ospreay and ricochet not sure what to think the things they do are amazing but its just not really wrestling was like watching 2 blokes playing mortal kombat or some s**t. entertaining and all but not something i want to see often

that would be bad for me as I'd have to actually look at a thread on this board apart from this one, but this board probably should push NJPW harder and try to grab some more people into NJPW, so if it helps the cause...

There's really no excuse for an Australian wrestling fan to be ignorant of NJPW. If you don't like the style, if you don't like the foreign commentary, ok that's cool, but the very best wrestling in the world is happening in basically prime time for Australia and I think a lot of Australians don't know just how easy it is to enjoy it. Meanwhile you've got people bending over backwards to watch WWE stuff which is constantly disappointing (no offence!)

(of course, before such a thread is made, some explainer guide/FAQ style stuff should be written up to help the newbies, otherwise the push might be DOA.)
Key thing is NJPW is a fairly traditional pro wrestling ADULT product. Not too far unlike a bigger NXT. As opposed to infuriating, insulting kiddy s**t.

watched ospreay and ricochet not sure what to think the things they do are amazing but its just not really wrestling was like watching 2 blokes playing mortal kombat or some s**t. entertaining and all but not something i want to see often

I loved the match, i like how they mixed a bit of everything in there, a bit of grappling, a bit of striking, and a lot of flying, and i think there was a bit of substance too, not just the incredible skill. I felt the struggle from Ospreay. Two guys who have fought all around the world throwing EVERYTHING at each other.
But I agree with you, when these two meet they can do this sort of match, but once or twice a year is good for me. It's tiring to see so much crammed into a match. I like something a little more grounded.

It's not like NJPW is deadly serious all the time though. Taichi & TAKA Michinoku just had a match that was built around not hitting each other...except in the balls. Taguchi is currently one of the most over wrestlers and he uses a butt focused offence. The undercard can be every bit as tiresome and annoying as the WWE.

It's just that the NJPW main events never really disappoint, and they're not trying to have 20 PPVs a year or whatever. oh and plus in NJPW you get to see cutters and piledrivers. that always helps.

It's not like NJPW is deadly serious all the time though. Taichi & TAKA Michinoku just had a match that was built around not hitting each other...except in the balls. Taguchi is currently one of the most over wrestlers and he uses a butt focused offence. The undercard can be every bit as tiresome and annoying as the WWE.

I loved that Taichi match, haven't enjoyed anything from him in recent memory, big fan of Taguchi is a well. I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on the last comment. I eat up the undercard, i'm just such a fan of the overall presentation and the goodwill is so overwhelming i overlook the weaknesses. I watch as much as a can from various Japanese promotions over American/European ones so I think there is a bias there from my end.

I love New Japan and ROH. I feel they are both big enough to have threads. Even WCPW has one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WCPW weekly shows cancelled:
"In a decision that has not been made lightly, WCPW must today announce that the forthcoming weekly Loaded shows at Manchester’s Bowlers Exhibition Centre will no longer be going ahead.

Effective immediately, our June 9, June 16, June 23, June 30, July 14, July 28, August 4, August 11, and August 18 shows have been pulled from our events pages, and refunds will be issued automatically to anyone who has purchased tickets to these events.

All other announced dates, including our PPVs and all Pro Wrestling World Cup dates are unaffected by this. Our initial June 2 show will also be going ahead as scheduled, and all tickets purchased for this are still valid.

This is a decision that we absolutely did not want to make, but unfortunately it has been taken out of our hands by YouTube.

Owing to a change in their monetisation policy, which has now classified wrestling as “non-advertiser friendly”, it is no longer financially viable for WCPW to produce a weekly free show of the quality our fans deserve.

Since the change the WCPW YouTube channel has seen its advertising income decimated, with our recent match between Alberto El Patron and Rey Mysterio Jr earning only $44 despite receiving over 1,100,000 views. This is a reduction of around 98% in what would have been Loaded’s main source of revenue.

Without that money, it is simply not possible to organise, set-up, manage, produce and edit a free-to-air show on the scale we had intended, and we’ve been left with no choice but to alter our business model. We’re not alone in this either, as other promotions, journalists, and fans have seen their ability to make a living from their content jeopardised entirely by this change.

While we support YouTube in their endeavours to make the site a safer and more tolerant place to visit, we reject entirely the classification of wrestling as a whole as “inappropriate content”. As such, in the coming weeks WCPW will be partnering with other like-minded individuals and organisations to start a campaign aimed at reversing this sweeping change.

Wrestling is not about violence. Wrestling is about scripted entertainment, amazing feats of athleticism and, most of all, story-telling. We want to thank all of our fans for their continued support, and we hope to have more positive news for you soon."
--------------------
:eek::eek::eek:

WCPW weekly shows cancelled:
"In a decision that has not been made lightly, WCPW must today announce that the forthcoming weekly Loaded shows at Manchester’s Bowlers Exhibition Centre will no longer be going ahead.

Effective immediately, our June 9, June 16, June 23, June 30, July 14, July 28, August 4, August 11, and August 18 shows have been pulled from our events pages, and refunds will be issued automatically to anyone who has purchased tickets to these events.

All other announced dates, including our PPVs and all Pro Wrestling World Cup dates are unaffected by this. Our initial June 2 show will also be going ahead as scheduled, and all tickets purchased for this are still valid.

This is a decision that we absolutely did not want to make, but unfortunately it has been taken out of our hands by YouTube.

Owing to a change in their monetisation policy, which has now classified wrestling as “non-advertiser friendly”, it is no longer financially viable for WCPW to produce a weekly free show of the quality our fans deserve.

Since the change the WCPW YouTube channel has seen its advertising income decimated, with our recent match between Alberto El Patron and Rey Mysterio Jr earning only $44 despite receiving over 1,100,000 views. This is a reduction of around 98% in what would have been Loaded’s main source of revenue.

Without that money, it is simply not possible to organise, set-up, manage, produce and edit a free-to-air show on the scale we had intended, and we’ve been left with no choice but to alter our business model. We’re not alone in this either, as other promotions, journalists, and fans have seen their ability to make a living from their content jeopardised entirely by this change.

While we support YouTube in their endeavours to make the site a safer and more tolerant place to visit, we reject entirely the classification of wrestling as a whole as “inappropriate content”. As such, in the coming weeks WCPW will be partnering with other like-minded individuals and organisations to start a campaign aimed at reversing this sweeping change.

Wrestling is not about violence. Wrestling is about scripted entertainment, amazing feats of athleticism and, most of all, story-telling. We want to thank all of our fans for their continued support, and we hope to have more positive news for you soon."
--------------------
:eek::eek::eek:
Ridiculous stuff from YouTube. That stat about the Rey vs Alberto match is absurd.

onceinalifetimewebmatch_OnitaTremontB.jpg

onceinalifetimewebmatch_MASADAStrickland.jpg

onceinalifetimewebmatch_RushJanela.jpg

onceinalifetimewebmatch_SOEFMWAwakening.jpg

onceinalifetimewebmatch_aerialassault.jpg

Genuinely way more excited for this card than WrestleMania or anything NJPW has done this year!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back