Play Nice North Melbourne - 2018 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess you mean the VFL, if North really want to stay at Arden Street. If you think that's better than moving to Tassie, fair enough

That's about it mate. A relocated club is a dead club. Therefore, it's not an option.

The 2007 Roosistence didn't even get in to second gear and the relocation talks were completely shelved.

We mobilised, we won, and we will mobilise again if required.

roos470_wideweb__470x2742.jpg

In fact, it's even harder to push us now. It is now written in the club constitution that no relocation or merger can take place unless it is sanctioned by more than 70% of the membership, which effectively means it would never happen. We may be small, but we're not easy to kill. We have learned the lessons of the past..

That's about it mate. A relocated club is a dead club. Therefore, it's not an option.

The 2007 Roosistence didn't even get in to second gear and the relocation talks were completely shelved.

We mobilised, we won, and we will mobilise again if required.

roos470_wideweb__470x2742.jpg

In fact, it's even harder to push us now. It is now written in the club constitution that no relocation or merger can take place unless it is sanctioned by more than 70% of the membership, which effectively means it would never happen. We may be small, but we're not easy to kill. We have learned the lessons of the past..
Fighting words mate. Enjoy the VFL then

Dont do this on the main board. Its North or North Melbourne.

This thread is already a borderline troll. Its just valid enough to remain open (even the most diehard North fan would admit there are issues at the Roos).

Be respectful, dont troll, and dont use 'norf' 'lolnorf' etc.

Fighting words mate. Enjoy the VFL then

Pffft

giphy.gif

We've been hearing this stuff since Fremantle solely consisted of a pub, a brothel and a whaling boat

Dont do this on the main board. Its North or North Melbourne.

This thread is already a borderline troll. Its just valid enough to remain open (even the most diehard North fan would admit there are issues at the Roos).

Be respectful, dont troll, and dont use 'norf' 'lolnorf' etc.
On-field issues, sure, but it has become a s**t flinging contest over north's off-field survival. This is absolute bay fodder.

Least stable according to whom. Stability means a strong financial base, which is a lot stronger than sides like St kilda or the bulldogs. How is an almost debt-free club and able to attract 32k in vic members in a poor year, unstable, moronic comment.

According to the top level of Etihad Stadium and the worst facilities in the league. That won't be good enough in decades to come. 32k also isn't many at all.
not stable off-field? north made a bigger profit than essendon and have hardly any debt.

Instead of picking out a "solid" year where your club profited by less than half a million which conveniently coincided with Essendon's worst year ever, wait until your club has a couple of rebuilding years and the fans don't want to attend. It's fine when the wins are coming, like they have been, but a rebuild is on. How often will they profit during that time?

It may very well come to that. Still a fairly competitive league, and good fun for the average fan.

We would still be the NMFC located in North Melbourne, so really, it's the only viable option. I'm sure you would prefer to see your mob playing out of Punt Road as Richmond rather than some whored out franchise.

It could happen to anyone. Fitzroy were amongst the mightiest clubs in the land prior to the 2nd world war. Remember, your mob have been closer to the gallows than North. 1990 went right down to the wire. You should never forget that. Carlton also went close to handing in the keys. It can happen to anyone.

On-field issues, sure, but its become a s**t flinging contest over north's off-field survival. This absolute bay fodder.

If we're being objective though it is fair to say the two are linked. If North struggles on field, this has ramifications that raise the spectre of relocation.

Its been mooted in the past, the AFL have tried to force you guys to Qld, its been voted on, you sell games to Tassie, etc. Even before all that, Carlton tried to buy you.

I suggest not feeding any trolls. Dont rise to the bait. Explain the 70 percent majority needed before any relocation happens, how its written into the constitution etc.

Im about to change the thread title.

If you see any blatant Tassie trolling, report it and I'll have a look.

And note to opposition posters in this thread: I dont intend to show mercy. Be critical in a respectful manner. I likely wont give you the benefit of the doubt.

We would still be the NMFC located in North Melbourne, so really, it's the only viable option. I'm sure you would prefer to see your mob playing out of Punt Road as Richmond rather than some whored out franchise.

It could happen to anyone. Fitzroy were amongst the mightiest clubs in the land prior to the 2nd world war. Remember, your mob have been closer to the gallows than North. 1990 went right down to the wire. You should never forget that. Carlton also went close to handing in the keys. It can happen to anyone.
I understand what you're saying. I went to a few VFL games this year, and enjoyed many afternoons down Coburg way during our affiliation. Can still remember a young Trent Cotchin running out for his first kick at City Oval.

It is as you say better than nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If North don’t want to move they need to play all their home games in Melbourne

The funny thing about that is, us playing games in Tassie is securing our future in Melbourne. For us to abandon Tassie would be nonsensical at the point. Maybe when the benefits drop off we should consider playing all home games in Melbourne, but we're gaining far too much right now for that to even be a thought. The AFL can't force a club to move if they couldn't do it to us in 2007, and they're sure as hell not going to let a club fold.

North Melbourne will be in North Melbourne for the long haul, kids. Buckle up. :)

If we're being objective though it is fair to say the two are linked. If North struggles on field, this has ramifications that raise the spectre of relocation.

Its been mooted in the past, the AFL have tried to force you guys to Qld, its been voted on, you sell games to Tassie, etc. Even before all that, Carlton tried to buy you.

I suggest not feeding any trolls. Dont rise to the bait. Explain the 70 percent majority needed before any relocation happens, how its written into the constitution etc.

And note to opposition posters in this thread: I dont intend to show mercy. Be critical in a respectful manner. I likely wont give you the benefit of the doubt.
The two don't always have to be linked.

Fremantle has been crap for the most part of twenty years, aren't too many off-field club issues for them. Plenty of other examples of clubs from other sports, who struggle on-field, but are still run well off-field. What is exactly wrong off-field? Finances, nope, in a pretty good state. Membership? 40k members in a poor year, pretty good. VFL and women's team? Yep, both coming up in the next two years, with deep ties to Melbourne university women's team. Community and sponsorship ties? Yep, the award winning Huddle program, non-pokie stance and partnerships with non-profit and major organisations. Mentally stable club president, yes ;). The only thing is a coaching turn over is required in my opinion, but that's not even remotely linked to relocation.

After the GC knockback, the notion of relocation is bordering on ludicrous, despite how badly Essendon posters and possibly the AFL want it to happen.

There isn't much point reporting stuff as that information is then used against you by particular moderators, so it achieves nothing by grief, so I will never bother reporting stuff ever again and just air grievances slightly more publicly.

Last edited:
The two don't always have to be linked.

Fremantle has been crap for twenty years, aren't too many off-field club issues for them

No mate, that's a strawman argument. Fremantle (as 1 of 2 WA clubs) dont face the same problems as North. They could finish dead last almost every year, and still make money off the back of strong membership, sponsorship in WA, a ton of money from Subi/ Perth arena, the WA State government etc. Also; the AFL's TV deals rely on two WA teams.

There is zero chance of Freo being relocated. None.

Here is Freos financials from last year, where they were s**t. They still turned a half million dollar profit. They raked in 16 million from membership (compared to Norths 7 million) and 1.5 million from Subiaco attendances alone.

You cant compare Freo to a packed market like Victoria.

Plenty of other examples of clubs from other sports, who struggle on-field, but are still run well off-field. What is exactly wrong off-field? Finances, nope, in a pretty good state. Membership? 40k members in a poor year, pretty good. Mentally stable club president, yes ;).

Its relevant for North because it is. There have been concerted efforts in the past to relocate the club, and merge it with other clubs. Its been a central issue surrounding your club for some time now, with Presidents largely put in place to save the club and keep it in North Melbourne. The club is still attempting to build a fan base in Tassie. These relocation efforts were defeated, but the relocation issue was still important enough to be ingrained in your clubs constitution.

If North struggles, the spectre of relocation will inevitably be raised. That's just how it is.

There isn't much point reporting stuff as that information is then used against you by particular moderators, so it achieves nothing, so I will never bother reporting stuff again and just air grievances slightly more publicly.

Thats just feeding the trolls and giving them exactly what they want. It makes them continue to troll you because they only troll to get the rise out of you in the first place. Not only do you give them what they want, you then get whacked for personal attacks and so forth.

Unlike you, I'm armed and able to kick trolls in the balls. Im also offering to help you deal with the trolls.

Play it how you want mate, but take note of the above.

They'll be fine, just need a couple of good drafts will steady.

If they can hold on to Ben Brown and start hitting finals again in 4-5 years they'd be a shot at the flag, one of the best forwards in the game already.

I'm not really sure if the purpose of this thread?

North are without doubt, unquestionably in their best financial position ever.

No debt, 40k members 4 years running, long term contracts for extra income from tassie, a woman's team that gets us 250k per annum, a soon to be better stadium deal, and as I recall an u usually high number of junior members, and finally another redeployment of Arden st which will soon see vfl and aflw being played there.

So given the above the only rational explanation is that finishing 4th last in 2017 must be why we can discuss north relocating?

Obviously there is a double standard involved.

On field i pose this question in relation to your club. How is your rebuild going? As we saw yet another bottom 4 finish in 2017, would a 2018 bottom 4 finish see you forced to relocate?

Stupid thread that is only here to prompt relocation talk.

The funny thing about that is, us playing games in Tassie is securing our future in Melbourne. For us to abandon Tassie would be nonsensical at the point. Maybe when the benefits drop off we should consider playing all home games in Melbourne, but we're gaining far too much right now for that to even be a thought. The AFL can't force a club to move if they couldn't do it to us in 2007, and they're sure as hell not going to let a club fold.

North Melbourne will be in North Melbourne for the long haul, kids. Buckle up. :)
You can’t have your cake and eat it too. You either want to play in Tassie or not.
I feel sorry for the residents of Tassie who have to put up with 2 FIFO sides who are only there for cash grabs. Kick them both out and give them a genuine side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back