Toast North Melbourne Debt free

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I do agree on that but that doesn’t take away the purpose of the comments, it’s a backhanded comment. There are obvious transphobic comments such as “is it going to be a stripper” and “his name is dean”

And I just saw more disgusting comments by 2 lovely posters here on twitter.

Well these people are just exposing themselves. Not worth the energy to do any more than pity them on this day, which has hopefully been a good one for Dani as it certainly is for the football club. It's always great to see people like Dani welcomed back with open arms to the club that they obviously love.

Good behaviour bond, no conviction recorded.

We don't know the details and the justice system has run it's course. Let bygones be bygones and just appreciate how good it is that after what has clearly been a rough couple of years, she felt comfortable to come home to NMFC.

Likewise, David Dench and Jimmy Krakouer both made mistakes many years ago, paid the penalty, and thankfully, they have the support of the football club. You don't have to condone what they have done in the past but they are part of the North Melbourne family and always will be.

What a bloody proud, emotional and vindicating day this is.
We may be small in numbers but more passionate fans don’t exist on the planet.
I love this club, and as the sentiment used by a few in those interviews, we all get so much more back than we ever put in.

Outsiders will never understand what the North Melbourne Football Club means to us, and we are about to dominate…. I can feel it.

Good behaviour bond, no conviction recorded.

We don't know the details and the justice system has run it's course. Let bygones be bygones and just appreciate how good it is that after what has clearly been a rough couple of years, she felt comfortable to come home to NMFC.
well said.

I honestly don't like the distinction between good debt and bad debt. No doubt there was some "good debt" in the amount that was thrown back at us by the AFL as a reason for us to go to the Gold Coast. And if things start to go pear-shaped again, I doubt the banks will care when we say "but it's good debt!"

The major difference between investing for a football club and investing for just about anyone else is that the football club can't sell the asset. I can go into "good debt" to buy an office building for my business and then sell it later to pay off the debt, but the footy club can't sell our facilities at Arden Street because we don't own the land it sits on.

A better option is to get governments to kick in for as much as possible. The State Government committed $7 million last year for an upgrade at Arden Street - that's a far better approach than "good debt", and the club's significant investments in government relations is the latest in a long list of really smart things we've done in the past decade.

Not sure what you are going on about. Look at the financials, the assets are on the books. We have a lifetime lease on the land, that we can't sell and it isn't ours. There will be some contract/arrangement with the state of Victoria, but we could probably sell the facilities to another sporting body with the state's approval if theoretically we wanted to move our HQ and facilities to somewhere with significantly more space. It isn't going to happen, but it is possible. I remember when there was talk of moving to Tasmania Cricket Victoria was keen on our facilities, at the time.

Regardless, investment isn't limited to just the facilities, it includes any capital investment. Clubs are still keen on income producing assets outside of football, particularly ones that improve cash flow over the off-season. If you don't have the cash flow during that period and you do not have a large reserve of cash you have to rely on debt, and you are also vulnerable for scenarios like covid. If this pandemic was brutal enough that we couldn't play games for a number of years, some clubs would have folded, particularly the debt-ridden clubs that weren't able to get money from the AFL.

So it is partly about security, but it is also about having the resources in the future. If a rich benefactor gave us $1m that was put into an investment that earned a conservative 8% on average back in 1970 then it would have been worth $50m this year and generating over $4m. Imagine the security and opportunity having that investment would have given us today. We never had that but we have the opportunity of creating something like that for the next generation and the only ways to do it is to either have the money, someone gives you the money, or you get into debt.

Fantastic news! Having being at Dallas Brooks in 2007, chipped in for the debt recovery over the years, and kept up memberships throughout the whole period, I'll be raising a glass tonight for this. Has to be up there with our premierships and that night in 2007 as one of our most significant days (especially with the great group of people they've managed to get in one place for the event). Bring on 2022!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enormous kudos to all. What a journey.
I remember being asked on 6PR back in 2007 why we didn't just take the money and move.
I replied that the club would immediately be dead to most supporters and that most felt it was "better to die on your feet than live on your knees".
Couldn't have imagined this day would come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back