Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor drafting. They were gifted pick 3 and what did they do with it? Grab another midfielder.. They already had plenty of them.. They should of traded it for two top 10 picks for a couple of KPD

Yo be fair they did bid on a key tall what more do you want them to do? Which talls would you have gone for? They took a ruck in the late first and a key tall. Duursma isn’t just a mid.

If you're going to bottom out rebuild and go for gold then you got to do it properly. But we got so much wrong. I just have to pretend the rebuild started when clarko arrived as I'm already seeing similarities between his first two years at hawthorn and now.

Also, i'd rather be horrible now and aim big rather than fill those player spots with meh and end up forever 8th - 12th. No offence to the clubs who are in that never ending cycle but we've been there done that as well and no thanks. Just wish we didn't waste the first 4 years after trying to break out of it.

Isnt that proof McKay isnt as bad as we all thought? He has been good for Essendon so far.

I never thought he was bad. Just that pick 3 was a gift. But that's not their fault and I have zero issue with them taking advantage of the very generous offer.

It isnt just the pick. Its club culture. You have created a concept of where its acceptable to abandon ship really. I have no doubt Zurhaar and LDU are looking elsewhere . If LDU can get 900k per year from Geelong, would he stay? If Essendon offer Zurhaar 600k and North offer 700k id suggest Zurhaar is off too

Sure, but I have no doubt that this isn't just a North Melbourne thing. Some would stay, others would go. That would be the case for players at every club across the league.

I think McKay wasnt the drastic overwin people say also. Firstly they got Duursma for McKay, not McKercher and all that is is one KPP like forward for a KPP like back which has then forced a KPP forward like Comben down back to cover McKay not being there. Its upsetting the makeup of the team to get a younger KPP back who isnt as certain to be better as McKay as you are prediciting here.

Not only that it then creates the circle of giving Stephens/Fisher stupid money because you need to fill the salary cap up that you had for McKay that isnt there anymore. Alot of the pick upgrade advantage they had from losing McKay was lost by giving up too much for these hacks

McKay was worth pick 10 id say not pick 3 but then they gave up things for Stephens who was really a delisted free agent like get and Fisher who should have been a max 4th rounder given Carlton were wanting to sell. Advantage lost

Let's not overcomplicate things. They got pick 3 for McKay. That is a huge win for a club at this stage of their development.

McKay is good. But he's not turning the ship around (as we've seen the past few years), so getting more young talent in as a replacement was a no-brainer.Not only that it then creates the circle of giving Stephens/Fisher stupid money because you need to fill the salary cap up that you had for McKay that isnt there anymore. Alot of the pick upgrade advantage they had from losing McKay was lost by giving up too much for these hacks

Yeah the experienced players they've brought in are questionable for sure. Not because they're overpaying them, but because they're perhaps not the right profile to have looked at.

I don't mind Fisher or even Stephens as players but if I were North I certainly wouldn't have gone down the latter path in particular. He's not someone helping the kids through a rebuild.

Reality is though you're going to be paying someone and in North's position you're certainly going to be overpaying someone. That's a league issue not a North issue.

But no - the gain of a young kid like McKercher or Duursma isn't offset by paying too much for Stephens and/or Fisher. That is a really weird way of looking at things. McKercher and Duursma are 10+ year players.

All this is is a obsession with draft picks over output and club strategy. They took the pick before they bothered thinking of any other outward impacts it has. The outward impacts are just huge and we will see that as time goes on

Sorry, but I don't think you could have any knowledge of what they did or did not think about.

More likely in the case of McKay, they had a player who

• Wasn't going to make much of a difference on-field in the short term;
  • Wasn't worth the money Essendon were offering;
  • Wasn't as beneficial as the compensation pick on offer; and even potentially
  • Wasn't happy at North and wanted to leave

At that point - particularly with where North are at - letting him go was and still is the absolute right thing to do. It's not about an obsession with draft picks, nor is it a North-specific thing. I believe every club would have come to the same conclusion under the same parameters.

Yo be fair they did bid on a key tall what more do you want them to do? Which talls would you have gone for? They took a ruck in the late first and a key tall. Duursma isn’t just a mid.
Why didn't they look to split the pick for more first rounders and look to scoop up a Caddy & O'Sullivan combo, for instance?

I mean, all we heard was how WCE should split pick 1 to bring in more talent yet nobody talked about it with North.

The issue isn’t who they took at picks 3/4 (they bid on Walter so let’s call it what it is)

The issue is you need some good experienced guys and not soft Stephens types.

Furthermore what is the point in playing Sheezel getting 40 useless touches in the backline? Get him centre or forward of centre

Why didn't they look to split the pick for more first rounders and look to scoop up a Caddy & O'Sullivan combo, for instance?

I mean, all we heard was how WCE should split pick 1 to bring in more talent yet nobody talked about it with North.

How do we know they didn't? I am sure those talks were had at some level. Perhaps they simply rated Duursma that much higher.

What sort of difference do you see Caddy (who hasn't played yet) or O'Sullivan (who has played 1 game) making to North Melbourne's short-term fortunes?

If they were splitting it surely had to be for Curtin at least and there is no way they would have got O’Sullivan/Caddy. The only teams aside from North with multiple picks were Adelaide and maybe GWS. Don’t see the sense in trading down for Curtin who had a huge flag with going home anyway

How do we know they didn't? I am sure those talks were had at some level. Perhaps they simply rated Duursma that much higher.

We don't know but picking up another of the same type they are already flush with doesn't scream smart list management.

I'm also incredibly doubtful they'd have tried to split the pick but of course, they'd have needed someone interested to begin with, obviously.

What sort of difference do you see Caddy (who hasn't played yet) or O'Sullivan (who has played 1 game) making to North Melbourne's short-term fortunes?

Well, it's not about the short-term, it's about long-term growth.

They'd have shored up another KPP and a KPD position in one draft and at least have players developing for the future in those positions.

If they were splitting it surely had to be for Curtin at least and there is no way they would have got O’Sullivan/Caddy. The only teams aside from North with multiple picks were Adelaide and maybe GWS. Don’t see the sense in trading down for Curtin who had a huge flag with going home anyway
Dunno about any go home factor with Curtin, haven't heard anything regarding it other than BF innuendo.

He's not really a KPP anyway - more a third tall/midfielder.

Dunno about any go home factor with Curtin, haven't heard anything regarding it other than BF innuendo.

He's not really a KPP anyway - more a third tall/midfielder.

He would be the only one worth doing it for and only if they got a kings ransom for it. People do realise they took 3 talls last year and that’s if you don’t include Durrsma who isn’t a mid

We don't know but picking up another of the same type they are already flush with doesn't scream smart list management.

Are they flush with the same type? I think you're being very generous there.

I'm also incredibly doubtful they'd have tried to split the pick but of course, they'd have needed someone interested to begin with, obviously.

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Regardless I am sure the question was asked.

Well, it's not about the short-term, it's about long-term growth.

They'd have shored up another KPP and a KPD position in one draft and at least have players developing for the future in those positions.

This is only really useful if you're playing footy on a team sheet.

At the pointy end you don't reach for players just because they may fill a specific position on the park years down the track.

I don't think North Melbourne are feeling any better about things if they have a raw 18/19 year old key defender waiting in the wings. Certainly it won't have helped their on-field fortunes this season.

He would be the only one worth doing it for and only if they got a kings ransom for it. People do realise they took 3 talls last year and that’s if you don’t include Durrsma who isn’t a mid

A ruck, whom we're unlikely to see much of for at least 4 years, a defender(tick) and a bloke at pick 2 in the rookie list.

Yes, they picked some talls but I feel they could've foregone pick 2 or 3 and traded back to get higher rated talent(presuming they had a buyer for the pick, obviously).

The bigger factor being this year's draft, which doesn't have many highly rated talls in the first round.

What does North do, pick yet another midfielder? Time for them to get creative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was McKay hellbent on leaving to try and play finals? Or would he have stayed if North matched the bid? Time could be kind to them and Duursma turns out a star, but McKay was the good enough defender they needed to hang on to in order to get them competitive again. Aidan Corr and Luke McDonald are legitimate frauds and should be playing VFL. They are supposed to be the two hardened leaders back there and are just not good enough. Corr is contracted for next year, McDonald until 2026.

North Melbourne cannot become competitive again until they have some form of decent back line. They can build their midfield and forward line up as much as they can but they won't be rewarded if the defence bleeds goals. They won't play a better half of footy this year than they did in the first half against Fremantle, but when the pressure came the back line bled and the game was lost in 20 minutes.

What's the answer? I don't know, to be honest. I don't think patience is gonna cut it. They've gotta try find one or two seasoned defenders who are
1. good enough to still play at the top level
2. high IQ players with good leadership skills to help the inexperience find their rhythm
3. interested in a pathway to coaching that North Melbourne can provide (working with Clarkson)

Looking through the lists, I can't see too many that would seem gettable, but perhaps players like Howe, Rampe, Duncan and Blicavs could be worth asking the question to. Even Hardwick and Gardiner a bit younger with more footy ahead of them.

Are they flush with the same type? I think you're being very generous there.

Inside mids and half forwards they have aplenty. McKercher offers a point of difference for them, with his outside run and carry, but they haven't picked up any top end talls for an eternity and seem to rely on picking them later in the draft.

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Regardless I am sure the question was asked.

This is only really useful if you're playing footy on a team sheet.

At the pointy end you don't reach for players just because they may fill a specific position on the park years down the track.

I don't think North Melbourne are feeling any better about things if they have a raw 18/19 year old key defender waiting in the wings. Certainly it won't have helped their on-field fortunes this season.

I'm not saying they 'reach' for players, I'm suggesting they should've shopped their picks around, if they didn't already.

At least banking some top-end KPP talent would give their supporters that the club is actually addressing list deficiencies.

You only have to look at their overall sentiment regarding Rawlings to see this doesn't appear to be the case.

A ruck, whom we're unlikely to see much of for at least 4 years, a defender(tick) and a bloke at pick 2 in the rookie list.

Yes, they picked some talls but I feel they could've foregone pick 2 or 3 and traded back to get higher rated talent(presuming they had a buyer for the pick, obviously).

The bigger factor being this year's draft, which doesn't have many highly rated talls in the first round.

What does North do, pick yet another midfielder? Time for them to get creative.

All the ways to trade back would have been silly, and you aren't counting Dursmaa as a mid right? He's not a pure midfielder. Don't see how getting a bunch of talls would have improved this. The one list decision I did find strange was going Phillips when McDonald was there to be taken. That's probably the one list decision that's questionable as I feel they have drafted well

All the ways to trade back would have been silly, and you aren't counting Dursmaa as a mid right? He's not a pure midfielder. Don't see how getting a bunch of talls would have improved this. The one list decision I did find strange was going Phillips when McDonald was there to be taken. That's probably the one list decision that's questionable as I feel they have drafted well
Phillips over McDonald was a howler, for sure.

Realistically, they should started drafting talls 2-3 years earlier.

In regards to Duursma, I'm counting him as a forward.

North need to be very careful at the moment.

I have no doubt they will be taking phone calls from the Managers of Caleb Daniel, Bailey Dale, Jack Macrae and Rory Lobb all looking for a move at their current contract value.

The Dogs have clearly stuffed up and overpaid these blokes. Dont let the Dogs off the hook. North should tell them to GAGF.

Especially Lobb. Let him play VFL and count his cash at the Dogs. His Manager must be the greatest salesman/con artist of all time.
They could come with the dogs r1 as sweetener though

Phillips over McDonald was a howler, for sure.

Realistically, they should started drafting talls 2-3 years earlier.

In regards to Duursma, I'm counting him as a forward.

Then they basically have taken every pick as a tall bar McKercher. They did bid on the best tall in the draft I don't see what more you want North to do when half the players are tied up with the academy. Got a forward in Durrsma, and potentially a top line ruck, a good KPD.

We took a key defender in the first round of the draft.

The youngest player in the entire draft pool, who has been absolutely awesome in the VFL so far this year.

If he was a week older, Twoomey would be wanking himself silly as a top 5 pick at the minute.

Then they basically have taken every pick as a tall bar McKercher. They did bid on the best tall in the draft I don't see what more you want North to do when half the players are tied up with the academy. Got a forward in Durrsma, and potentially a top line ruck, a good KPD.
Basically dont trade for 2 wingers when you have 6 people capable of playing there already

It was criminal to go into the season with absolutely zero replacement for McKay as well as 100% unnecessary players on long term deals

So many options to take they didnt. Even if they gave Joel Hamling a 2 year deal as a defensive leader for example as a alternative to giving Dylan Stephens 4 years. Dougal Howard from Saints also as another option.

In the end they just dont trade or draft for position. Its why they have 8 wingers and a CHF playing CHB

This is where North supporters are pulling their hair out.

It’s going to be a long rebuild but being forced to trade picks doesn’t work.

Effectively this is a Brad Scott endorsed Laura Kane strategy of being mandated to trade the picks and it dilutes the value.

Dylan Stephens, Zac Fisher and Darcy Tucker are not the answer and now we've gone and given them 4 years deal ffs.
Too early to call Logue who did his knee.

Then youu have our captains with one a big hit away from forced retirement and he’s got a deal till 2029 and the other is an absolute fraud.

We then have terrible list management in long terms deals been given to Coleman Jones, Stephenson and Corr that have been woeful additions.

Clarko and Viney can make us competitive again but the AFL has done us no favours. Then again Rawlings has to go.
I know its unfair to go over individual draft picks and every club has misses BUT i just want to emphasise your overall long-term lack of spending any draft capital on key position players.

2017 - LDU, Will Walker with pick 23 (Straight after him come Balta, Sam Taylor, Tom De Koning, Tom McCartin and Harrison Petty).

2018 - Pittard, Polec, Hall, T Thomas, Curtis -

2019 Comben (31) , Mahony

2020 Philips, Powell, Lazzaro

2021, JHF, Goater

So in summary - with 12 high draft picks the only one you use on a KPP is Comben and this is still only a pick 31.

So the mess you are in now can be traced back to that 5 year period if complete ineptitude (and so many dwarves)

Incredibly you went five years without using a single draft pick in the top 30 on a KPP. This is almost beyond belief.
-

Basically dont trade for 2 wingers when you have 6 people capable of playing there already

It was criminal to go into the season with absolutely zero replacement for McKay as well as 100% unnecessary players on long term deals

So many options to take they didnt. Even if they gave Joel Hamling a 2 year deal as a defensive leader for example as a alternative to giving Dylan Stephens 4 years. Dougal Howard from Saints also as another option.

In the end they just dont trade or draft for position. Its why they have 8 wingers and a CHF playing CHB

We recruited Pink, Will Dawson and Ngyuon.

How can you possibly say we didn't recruit any key backs?

As I said, Biggie and Comben had excellent games on the weekend, key backs weren't the issue.

Further, Fisher was recruited as a half back, not a winger.

That's more the criticism the mid range PP's they should have been used better, Logue has been fine you can't predict an ACL that's just unlucky. Ask any Swans fan what we thought of Stephens and the word "soft" comes up a lot. Hamling would have cost them zilch and would be playing for North now, very happy with him as depth for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back