Autopsy North Melbourne vs Brisbane at The Gabba R2 - REVIEW (Kangas by 34)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its time to seriously start considering what role Hansen and Thomas will have with us in the future.

Hansons pace is starting to become a real problem in defence. Teams are openly targeting his opponent because they know he doesnt have the leg speed to follow.

Thomas - no secret that i dislike him but his attitude is horrendous. Time to get rid of him while he is still worth something - we have a horrible history of keeping players until they are worth nothing on the market.
Lindsay would probably get us a 2nd rounder. Which is not amazing but still decent in a good draft this year

Cotchin racked up heaps of possessions on Friday night.

Counts for s**t.
Couldn't agree more, possessions are useless unless they are effective and they should be the only ones counted. I would much have a bloke have 20 possies with 95% effectiveness that a bloke have 30 with 50% effectiveness.

He is elite at winning contested ball including at stoppages and fires out great handballs. Great to have plus a v good mark and kick. Also tackles well in close as does Swallow and JZ. However, as a side, we do not pressure the ball carrier well from a lost clearance which is the main reason why we have been ranked so poorly at conceding scores from lost clearances over the past two years. Last week, when Wells tackled Adelaide's Thompson at a centre clearance and won the free kick, Wells actually ran past Cunnington who was jogging, resigned to losing the clearance. That tackle was crucial and if we want to take the next step, all the mids including Cunnington have to improve in this area. And it's not just about Wells being quicker, it's a mindset.
Great post

Well said Pleb! No use playing 'champagne footy' during beer drinking season. If I'm correct we go Queensland ( Lions), Tassie ( Melb), Vic( Freo) Queensland ( Gold Cost) over the next few weeks.

We're pacing ourselves that I can tell you all.

Just on the whole Brissy 'had they kicked straighter' , we hit the post four or five times! Ended up with two less behinds and I know we rushed at least three of theirs. Not sure if they rushed any of ours?

The commentary was a Brissy love fest yesterday.
It was a 'wasteful' Brissy in the Hun today.

Couldn't agree more, possessions are useless unless they are effective and they should be the only ones counted. I would much have a bloke have 20 possies with 95% effectiveness that a bloke have 30 with 50% effectiveness.

Exhibit A:

Daniel Wells.

My worry with Hansen is that his hip injury is degenerative which effects his turning circle and sideways movement not to mention speed off the mark. When in form he plays the intercept role better than most but does speed of the game and its 'slingshot' nature now allow the luxury of a floater accross half back?

I'm of the opinion that our misses were far more 'gettable' than Brisbane's.

Agree with this. A lot of Brisbane's misses were from a fair way out and on angles. Off the top of my head I can recall Boomer,Wells,Drew and Todd missing from around 20-30 out virtually straight in front.

I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if I'm rehashing what everyone is writing.

Defensive pressure was terrible. By that I don't mean just our defenders I mean our attack of the ball and the contest. We didn't have the same intent as last week. IMO if we're to be a top 4 side we have to play brutal footy every week.

That said, happy with the win.

I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if I'm rehashing what everyone is writing.

Defensive pressure was terrible. By that I don't mean just our defenders I mean our attack of the ball and the contest. We didn't have the same intent as last week. IMO if we're to be a top 4 side we have to play brutal footy every week.

That said, happy with the win.

Probably should read the thread mate. I likened this match to a qualifer for the 10,000 meters. Do just enough to get through, bloody long season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take after watching the replay.

Positives:
- Wells, Waite, Ziebell, Tarrant
- We won interstate.
- Some older heads showed a bit of composure (Dal) when Brisbane were coming at us!

Negatives:
-Wright and Atley need to pull their finger
Out, not giving us enough drive off half back and not doing much defensively.
- Hansen, speaks for itself. We all know how good his marking is, but he is next to useless if he isn't taking grabs. Not physical enough for someone his size.
-Allowing easy transition off half forward. Moved it out of our forward line way too easy.
-Higgins hasn't seemed himself, he gets a reprieve considering how good last year was.
- Not going on with it in the last quarter. % is going to be important this year considering the log jam in the top 8

Really surprised at the negativity and knockers on here (usually i like knockers on the net).

We won interstate. We played very well against a 17 man press. We won after losing one of our best defenders to play on a quick small. We absorbed their pressure well. We countered well and scored most times we went forward. We beat a team based on speed.

Whats not to like?

The theory we were "Lucky" they kicked poorly for mine is BS. I thought we defended well against a team coming in low and fast trying to generate chaos and rely on smalls. Their misses were mostly shots from outside 50 or on decent angles, inside 50 we didn't give up much at all. We only gave up low % shots on goal and their kicking reflected that %.

As for Hansen, damn people are quick with the axe! Yeah it wasn't a standout game from him but it also wasn't a game made for a player like him. His strength is intercepting the long high balls coming in, there were few if any of those from Bris its not their style. Their talls were mostly ineffective for the entire match so for Taz and Hansen i say job done. Bris simply couldn't kick long and deep. Yup he got well and truly beaten once by Taylor on a low ball and ground run, but thats not his strength we know this and im sure Taylor has done that to plenty before he's a damn good small.

So my wrap up is we played exactally how we had to to win. We absorbed their speed, flair and ground pressure. We gave them no easy path inside 50 and defended and cleared the 50 well only offering up low % turnovers. We cut through a 17 man high press very well opening up the ground on many many occasions. When we cleared the press we scored, some missed shots yes, but we had shots on goal from most rebound 50's. That's the perfect blueprint to win against the Lions no two ways about it.

2-0 enjoy it everyone.

P.S. adding Harris Andrews to my list of players to consider from other clubs, pretty good game for a young kid against our talls. One to watch!!!

Probably should read the thread mate. I likened this match to a qualifer for the 10,000 meters. Do just enough to get through, bloody long season.

I would've but it was already 8 pages long before I got the chance.

Edit: just realised I've got 5 pages of the changes thread to through:drunk:

Interestingly the following players all had reduced game time compared to last week:
Garner
Wells
Ziebell
Swallow
Cunners
Dal Santo
Thomas
Higgins
Wright
McDonald

The slack seems to have been taken up by MacMillan, Atley and Gibson, who all had a decent hike in game time.

I think that gives a fair indication that we were managing the running players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back