North Melbourne's struggle in attracting elite or A grade players

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton and St Kilda are cellar dwellers though, while many feel Hawthorn are on the decline considering their lack of first round draft talent from the past decade.

North and Essendon have similar potential for success (with both just finishing outside the 8 last year), so I think the extra cash from North would have got him over the line if they wanted him.

North don't actually have that much young talent - they had one year down the bottom after topping up for several years. Their list demographic is a lot closer to Hawthorn's than Essendon's. Many of North's best players are 28+ going into next year. North has been up for most of the same time as Hawthorn, they just never reached the same heights.

Just looking at the ladder position doesn't tell you much. North, Port Adelaide, Essendon and Adelaide all finished very close on the ladder, doesn't mean they have the same lists/prospects.

What’s north supposed to do? They’re doing exactly what I would want them to do as a supporter by going after players to make the side better. A+ on that.

But to north supporters, why is it all so public? I get there’s the “message to the fans” aspect but wouldn’t it be better to just do this s**t behind closed doors?

And to the “leakers/inside mail brigade”, perhaps its time to STFU. You know nothing.

Can't fault North for going after quality players.... but having it all out in the open makes me wonder if they haven't made a rod for their own backs. How many agents will 'keep North in the Conversation' knowing it's likely to be the largest cash offer that'll be tabled for as long as possible to extract the maximum dollar from a club their player was always going to stay at.

What makes you think players are being paid unders? They're all contracted at dollars they've agreed upon.

It's not like when it happens we're the first club to have a player over a million dollars a season. Some, like Richmond, have more than one around that mark. Are your second level players crying out or are they happy with what they have and what improves their chances of (another) flag?

I guess the interesting thing is some of our blokes are taking unders on revised contracts to fit Lynch in.
You guys have heart and soul players like Cunnington on the list who could get better money elsewhere staying loyal while your club isn’t just offering a million bucks a season, it’s 1.5 etc.
I can’t see everyone being cool with that. Particularly when your club is so open about it.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

I guess the interesting thing is some of our blokes are taking unders on revised contracts to fit Lynch in.
You guys have heart and soul players like Cunnington on the list who could get better money elsewhere staying loyal while your club isn’t just offering a million bucks a season, it’s 1.5 etc.
I can’t see everyone being cool with that. Particularly when your club is so open about it.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Players are in the game to win premierships, so you would think the existing playing group would be keen for the club to do what it takes to improve the talent on the list.

They are also probably mature enough to understand it takes a "transfer fee" to convince serious talent to change clubs.

Bully? Do you even know what that word means?

"it was horrible, the contract had so many zeros, and the were throwing fistfulls of cash at me, the horror, the bullying...."
Haven’t you ever been bullied by someone threatening you with rolls of $50 bills? It’s scary I tell you!

That said, I think the thrust of my post still stands.

Can't fault North for going after quality players.... but having it all out in the open makes me wonder if they haven't made a rod for their own backs. How many agents will 'keep North in the Conversation' knowing it's likely to be the largest cash offer that'll be tabled for as long as possible to extract the maximum dollar from a club their player was always going to stay at.

It doesn't hurt North when other clubs have to pay more to keep their own players.

It would not suprise me to find that with the warchest so full, and no suitors this year that the players are given an ex-gratia bonus.

Is that allowed by the AFL, to get you to the 95% mark, noting that we had already banked unspent monies from previous years?

If so, then the current group will be doing alright.

It would not suprise me to find that with the warchest so full, and no suitors this year that the players are given an ex-gratia bonus.

Is that allowed by the AFL, to get you to the 95% mark, noting that we had already banked unspent monies from previous years?

If so, then the current group will be doing alright.

Doesn't the AFL have to sign off on all payments/contracts? I'd be surprised if it was allowed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But players give up millions to not play at north. Very strange comment

First of all, North have never come out and publicly confirmed the media figures bandied around. Do managers use North's huge cap space to pump up their players salaries to stay at their club? Undeniably. This has zero effect on North's cap, it does have an effect on our opponent's cap, and the thought that there is some sort of public impression of the NMFC amongst AFL players that is created when someone doesn't move clubs is laughable.

Gaff and Martin are both on the record as saying they toured the North Melbourne facilities, met with the coach and players and were despairingly close to leaving their clubs before re-signing, both Richmond and West Coast go on and win the flag and they choose to stay, fair enough and good luck to them. North move on to the next available Free Agent with the capacity to sign them.

First of all, North have never come out and publicly confirmed the media figures bandied around. Do managers use North's huge cap space to pump up their players salaries to stay at their club? Undeniably. This has no effect on North's cap, and the thought that there is some sort of public impression of the NMFC amongst AFL players that is created when someone doesn't move clubs is laughable.

Gaff and Martin are both on the record as saying they toured the North Melbourne facilities, met with the coach and players and were despairingly close to leaving their clubs before re-signing, both Richmond and West Coast go on and win the flag and they choose to stay, fair enough and good luck to them. North move on to the next available Free Agent with the capacity to sign them.

So? Doesn’t change anything I posted

You don't know what North's offer was and you don't know what Martin signed for in the end.

You are just guessing, like every other dope in the media and on BigFooty.

Go for your life!

But somehow you know? It’s funny how it’s factual when it relates to your own posting

But somehow you know? It’s funny how it’s factual when it relates to your own posting

I didn't claim to know, you are the one saying "players give up millions not to play at North", not me.

What I am saying is North force opposition clubs to pay more to keep their own players, not that they match the deals. If you are denying that Richmond weren't forced to up their offer last year then you are genuinely delusional.

I didn't claim to know, you are the one saying "players give up millions not to play at North", not me.

What I am saying is North force opposition clubs to pay more to keep their own players, not that they match the deals. If you are denying that Richmond weren't forced to up their offer last year then you are genuinely delusional.

So the whole point of north playing in the market is to force up the price of players across the board? Seems a bit self defeating.

And although I don’t know the exact figure of what dusty gave up to not play for north, when the head coach states that it was “life changing” money I’m tipping it ain’t thousands.

So the whole point of north playing in the market is to force up the price of players across the board? Seems a bit self defeating.

And although I don’t know the exact figure of what dusty gave up to not play for north, when the head coach states that it was “life changing” money I’m tipping it ain’t thousands.

The same Richmond players and officials who rejoice at the "life changing" amount of money he turned down would have been the ones saying "he would have had more than he could ever spend if he stayed at Richmond."

Media 101.

The same Richmond players and officials who rejoice at the "life changing" amount of money he turned down would have been the ones saying "he would have had more than he could ever spend if he stayed at Richmond."

Media 101.

So it’s all lies? Nice little bubble you live in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back