NRL NRL 2020 Season - Round 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Friday 17th July
Melbourne vs Gold Coast (Sunshine Coast Stadium - 18:00)

-Melbourne by 35+

Wests Tigers vs Brisbane (Leichhardt Oval - 19:55)

Saturday 18th July
St.George-Illawarra vs Canterbury-Bankstown (WIN Stadium - 15:00)

- Dragons enough said.

South Sydney vs Newcastle (BankWest Stadium - 17:30)

- Game of the round, I’ll go Souths with no confidence by 4.

Manly-Warringah vs Parramatta (Lottoland - 19:35)

-Parra win but it’s going to be closer than many think.

Sunday 19th July
New Zealand vs Cronulla-Sutherland (Central Coast Stadium - 14:00)

- Cronulla But this game will not shock me either way.

Penrith vs North Queensland vs (Panthers Stadium - 16:05)

- Penrith by dead set 50.

Well there you go, in a round that looked like a good one for tipsters, the first game a big underdog gets up. Fantastic win by the Raiders maybe they were written off a bit early from a few injuries but still enough quality on the park to pull out a big performance.

Weirdly and I know it's one game but they looked so much better without Hodgson tonight. They almost had become so predictable with him there. Maybe it's just one game, but I haven't written them off.

So we’ve had 2 tigers and 1 panther being tested for COVID as they live in the Liverpool area because they play Queensland teams this week.
Nice to see PVL on the front foot before the competition gets shut down.
Guessing that Tigers won’t be playing at Campbelltown for a long while.

The Morris twins look like they want to go into acting. Staying down for slight bumps and diving.

as a roosters fan Minichiello was brilliant to watch at the back, probably the first fullback who had that kamikaze approach bringing the ball back and going from dummy half out of our own danger zone - previously it was all about just sneaking a few metres, crabbing around sideways a little and trying to retain possession. Mini kind of turned kick returns and working the ball away from your own line into an attacking weapon.
lockyer was the other fullback I loved watching. He played the same time-stopping way that Scott Pendlebury does with a Sherrin.

I’ll be honest though - as a card carrying member of the fat c***s club, and having played every single game of my life in one position, I love the front rowers. I am biased obviously but I don’t think there is a tougher job in sport outside of the combat sports, than being a rugby league prop. Thankless job, often only get noticed when you make a mistake, get belted every time you touch the ball, and every time you make a tackle it’s on someone just as big as you.

props can’t win teams matches (Dylan Napa against Souths a few years back and JWH in last year’s grand final - still can’t believe he didn’t win the medal) are very rare instances, but they are usually a very good barometer for the rest of their team.
as someone who grew up on association football (soccer) on a country where rugby league barely exists (Brazil), and having never played the game myself, I personally struggle to evaluate the performance of those players that do more of the dirty work, such as the front rowers. They are less likely to do impressive runs with the ball which are more pleasing to the eye to the soccer fan in me, though I obviously understand it is a vital part of the game.

for me its much easier to enjoy the plays by wingers (who finish a lot of the plays, sometimes sensationally, and tend to have a lot of pace), fullbacks who often have some space to run, halfbacks who are always on the ball dictating play and kicking, the hooker who acts as the dummy half etc.

I am trying to learn a bit more about the positions though, so I often have the RL positions article on wikipedia open on my phone as I watch the Panthers haha

as someone who grew up on association football (soccer) on a country where rugby league barely exists (Brazil), and having never played the game myself, I personally struggle to evaluate the performance of those players that do more of the dirty work, such as the front rowers. They are less likely to do impressive runs with the ball which are more pleasing to the eye to the soccer fan in me, though I obviously understand it is a vital part of the game.

for me its much easier to enjoy the plays by wingers (who finish a lot of the plays, sometimes sensationally, and tend to have a lot of pace), fullbacks who often have some space to run, halfbacks who are always on the ball dictating play and kicking, the hooker who acts as the dummy half etc.

I am trying to learn a bit more about the positions though, so I often have the RL positions article on wikipedia open on my phone as I watch the Panthers haha
Agreed, I struggle to sometimes see the difference between the big forwards, as predominantly they get the ball, run forward, are tackled and make tackles. Without run metre, post contact metre and tackle stats its sometimes hard to see the differences. Unless its Taumalolo who is just beasting everyone and carrying 3 players on him as they struggle to bring him down. Offloads is the other noticeable measure, but smart offloads not just throwing the ball out that ends up in a worse position.

The big men are the meat and potatos work horses of the game that do the bulk of the meterage, so hugely important. These guys job is to get the ball in good field position/ defend field position so the playmakers can then do the flashy stuff that's more noticeable. But totally agree it's hard to really stand out there.

Watching league from a soccer perspective, if you will, might well be better than those in Europe and elsewhere who often are looking at league through a rugby union lens. often, for these guys, it's hard for them to get their heads around the idea that "there's aren't proper scrums". because the scrum is such a pivotal part of union, whereas in league nowadays, it's little more than a restart method. And as for identifying the skills of different positions, I think if you consider the 'play-makers', it's not hard to see that the 6 and 7 in league are the creators who can make a try with a deft kick, or a sharp pass, or a solo run, and are much more comparable to a "no 10" in football.

Weirdly and I know it's one game but they looked so much better without Hodgson tonight. They almost had become so predictable with him there. Maybe it's just one game, but I haven't written them off.

havili would be getting a game in most other sides, he’s a fantastic dummy half. They’ve still got enough to work with.

f*** we were bad last night.

roosters unable to hold a ball: check
Cats unable to hold a ball: check
West Indies unable to hold a ball: check

good times

Agreed, I struggle to sometimes see the difference between the big forwards, as predominantly they get the ball, run forward, are tackled and make tackles. Without run metre, post contact metre and tackle stats its sometimes hard to see the differences. Unless its Taumalolo who is just beasting everyone and carrying 3 players on him as they struggle to bring him down. Offloads is the other noticeable measure, but smart offloads not just throwing the ball out that ends up in a worse position.

The big men are the meat and potatos work horses of the game that do the bulk of the meterage, so hugely important. These guys job is to get the ball in good field position/ defend field position so the playmakers can then do the flashy stuff that's more noticeable. But totally agree it's hard to really stand out there.

Easiest way to assess the big guys is apply some context to what they’re doing.

to the naked eye, a prop running from the 20 metre line to the 30 metre line in his own half, is no different to a prop running from the halfway line to the 40 metre line in the other team’s half.

but the guy running from his own end, has just turned around, run back 50 metres to get inside, and is making dirty metres to get his team out of trouble so his 10 metres means a lot more than the other prop’s 10 metres.

the prop taking a second run in the same set of 6 - that’s one less run that one of his teammates has to take.

they are team-lifting acts and it is why a player like, from my team at least, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves is so loved and highly rated compared to maybe a Paul Vaughan from St George who statistically is an outstanding player.

JWH has great game sense knowing when his team needs a big run. We may be on the fourth tackle and we’ve only made 20 metres. He will be the one to get the angry eyes, strain for every last centimetre - rather than look for an easy 8-10 metre carry with a quick play the ball, he will squeeze out 12-15 metres, slow play the ball, but force three guys to tackle him and it lifts everyone around him.

Watching league from a soccer perspective, if you will, might well be better than those in Europe and elsewhere who often are looking at league through a rugby union lens. often, for these guys, it's hard for them to get their heads around the idea that "there's aren't proper scrums". because the scrum is such a pivotal part of union, whereas in league nowadays, it's little more than a restart method. And as for identifying the skills of different positions, I think if you consider the 'play-makers', it's not hard to see that the 6 and 7 in league are the creators who can make a try with a deft kick, or a sharp pass, or a solo run, and are much more comparable to a "no 10" in football.

Funny to find a Wigan / Adelaide fan here. I am a St Helens / Port Adelaide man myself. Hahaha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good for your mob, but this is bad news for RL in general having 3 poor sides in QLD.
They’re lucky they’ve still got the Sunshine Coast storm 😇🤣🤣

Funny to find a Wigan / Adelaide fan here. I am a St Helens / Port Adelaide man myself. Hahaha

Well, I live in Wigan. Not an Adelaide fan, know nothing of the sport, it just filled that in as a default field when I first joined, I think.

Brisbane can't take a trick. Tigers' spine of Benji, Grant and Walters (who was very good) ran the show.

Well, I live in Wigan. Not an Adelaide fan, know nothing of the sport, it just filled that in as a default field when I first joined, I think.

Brisbane can't take a trick. Tigers' spine of Benji, Grant and Walters (who was very good) ran the show.
Oh fair enough. Must be set to default in alphabetical order.
I used to live in Liverpool and this is why I started watching rugby league at St Helens - it was just the closest club to me.
Never got to watch a game vs Wigan though, only Leeds, Warrington and a couple others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back