Canary

All Australian
Oct 1, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Reading FC
Michael Evans will debut for Melbourne this week wearing the number 50.

This is surely unusually high. Now I am comparably young, so I was wondering how many AFL footballers have worn 50 in a H and A match. The only one I remember was Shaun Rehn? Who was 52 I think.

Anyway, I was interested who has worn numbers above 50.

I wish there was more of it. Would love to see some players taking higher numbers.

Dwayne Armstrong wore 52 in the Bombers Reserves a couple of years ago. I've been waiting for someone to bring the high number back ever since Rehn retired.

Dale Kickett wore #52 for the Saints in the early 90's.

Got drafted in the pre-season draft from the West Coast as I recall, so had the interesting situation where he was an Eagle one week, and then played for the Saints against the Eagles at Subiaco the week after !!.

Andrew Witts wore number 65 for Collingwood back in the 80s. I believe that is the highest number ever worn by a player in a proper AFL/VFL game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrew Witts wore number 65 for Collingwood back in the 80s. I believe that is the highest number ever worn by a player in a proper AFL/VFL game.

Yes and no. Harry Taylor wore #85 for a half against Melbourne a couple of years ago. He ruined two of his regular #7 guernseys by getting blood on them, so he had to wear a replacement. If you don't count that, then yes Andrew Witts is the champion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back