BigFooty Official Official BigFooty Phantom Draft - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 57: Collingwood – Tariek Newchurch
  • Pick 57 - Collingwood selects Tariek Newchurch (North Adelaide/Adelaide NGA)

POSITION:
    Small Forward/Midfielder

Tariek Newchurch is an explosive forward who is dangerous on the ground like a small, but also capable in the air as a leading half-forward. He showed good versatility for much of the 2020 season, stationed predominantly forward but also rotating through the midfield, where he used his explosiveness and evasive nous to provide some spark around stoppages. Despite spending most of his time forward, if he can develop his defensive game he could prove to be a very handy rotation player as the likes of Cam Rayner and Jack Martin have become for their respective sides. Newchurch is linked to the Adelaide Crows through its Next Generation Academy (NGA), but has garnered solid interest from other clubs nonetheless. He switched to Henley High in 2020 to complete his Year 12 studies, while also entering the AFL Academy and earning a National Combine invite for his efforts.

STRENGTHS:

• Speed
    • Agility
    • Goal sense
    • X-Factor
    • Evasiveness
    • Clean hands
    IMPROVEMENTS:

• Consistency
    • Defensive acts/tackling
    Newchurch enjoyed a solid bottom-age season for the Roosters playing mostly in the forward half, kicking 29 goals from his 17 games. Averaging 12 disposals per game, he even managed one outing in the Reserves. He played 10 games throughout the 2020 Under 18s season, booting 16 goals from an average of almost 15 disposals and four marks per game, but was unable to again crack the senior ranks.

Tackling is one area of his game he would like to improve so he can more effectively play as a small forward type that can apply defensive pressure. He averaged just over one tackle in his first six games this season, before turning it around to average 3.5 in his last four. That rate of improvement is a promising aspect of his overall skillset, while consistently performing at his peak may prove the next step in his development. Newchurch is the kind of player who attracts the ‘at his best’ hypothetical, as he is near-unstoppable in full flight. Two bags of three goals and a sole four-goal haul attest to that, and Newchurch’s game-winning ability.

Looking at his strengths, Newchurch is most ominous whenever he is around goals, as he has a knack of making something happen out of nothing. This is largely credit to his blistering speed and his ability to manoeuvre through traffic. These traits and his slippery evasive techniques in-tight could also contribute into him developing into a midfielder. Newchurch’s goal sense is also a key asset, with classy finishes from all angles part of his arsenal. Finishing consistency may another area of improvement though, moreso from set shots than in general play where snaps around the body are his MO.

Being tied to the Adelaide Crows as a NGA member means that potential development may not be a deciding factor in his draft placement, as he could be a player who can come in and make an immediate impact for the rebuilding Crows outfit. Providing a spark and getting on the scoreboard will be what he offers in the early stages of his career, though he still looks to be a more long-term prospect with inconsistencies to iron out and versatility to build.

Back over to Knightmare

Pick 58: St Kilda – Max Pescud (bid not matched)
  • #58 - St Kilda - Max Pescud (GC Academy)
    Really liked the look of him last year in NAB League and I haven't heard his name much this year and feel he has been forgotten and kind of like that I'm the one bringing him back into the minds of people by making this choice.

Another best available and another coincidental nice list fit adding more talent up front and something different to a front half which can do with an injection of another good forward. Also adds some variety and balance to the two midfielders I've already selected.

I've found he has some football smarts, wins the 50/50 ground balls, one-on-one contests, moving evasively, using the ball cleanly and reading the drop of the ball. He's a very good athlete with verticality, strong mark, has the speed to go with it, good finisher around goal, brings the tackling energy. He has lots of tricks at his disposal.

There is a lot to work with and if as he gets stronger he maintains his athleticism and speed he can become a really exciting player. And impressively wins a high % contested for someone so light.

December ranking: 36.

Charlie Lazzaro I gave consideration to and still feel like represents good value as a mid, and he's a big time ball winner and has that production on the board, but Pescud is my guy.

Pick 59: Collingwood – Ollie Lord
  • Pick #59 - Collingwood selects Ollie Lord (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)

POSITION:
    Key Forward

There may well be a few clubs seeking for long-term key forward replacements at this year’s AFL Draft, and Ollie Lord is one of the many candidates putting his hand up for selection. The Sandringham Dragons product boasts great athleticism, using his speed off the mark and vertical leap to time some eye-catching marks inside forward 50. He is the grandson of former Geelong champion and Brownlow Medallist, Alistair Lord, and continues his family’s ties to the region as he boards at Geelong Grammar. It means he has also played a lot of his football in the APS system, managing five NAB League outings in between his commitments there. But squeezing into the stacked Dragons side of 2019 is no mean feat, and Lord’s appearance in Vic Metro’s Under-17 squad, his Futures All-Stars selection, as well as a National Draft Combine invite this year all suggest he is certainly on the AFL radar.

STRENGTHS:
    • Athleticism
    • Vertical leap
    • Aerial marking
    • Speed on the lead
    IMPROVEMENTS:
    • Consistency
    • Contested fundamentals
    While hardly limited to it, the crux of Lord’s greatest strengths can be observed as he frequents the forward 50. His athletic package is highlighted by sharp pace off the mark and a springy vertical leap, both of which combine well as Lord sets off to present and mark on the lead. His ability to pop up and clunk some eye-catching contested grabs was evident towards the back-end of last year’s NAB League season, as well as in his various representative and showcase outings.

Being able to provide such form more consistently will be a big step in his development, with his current output sitting at under a mark and goal per his five NAB League appearances, while averaging just over a goal per his APS digs. Another developmental stride would be to continue working on his ruck craft. At 195cm, Lord may well have a bit of growing left to do and as he adds weight, his ability to chime in at ruck contests inside 50 could later translate to more substantial rotation on the ball.

Something which may further aid that shift is the fundamental work Lord is focussing on. His aerial prowess is great, particularly once he has gained separation, but the youngster has been putting work into the contested marking and one-on-one departments. His bodywork, positioning, and strength in the air are areas which he would have hoped to showcase some marked improvement in this season with time out on the park. Adding that strength to his already-present aerial nous will make him a dangerous, and much more well-rounded key forward.

Another point of difference for Lord is his ability to be clean with ball in hand; whether that be on the gather, or in disposing of it. It means he could develop into a centre half-forward who provides a linking target up the ground, while having the obvious weapon of leading out from closer to goal in his locker.

andleanback

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 60: Sydney – James Borlase
  • Pick #60 James Borlase - Sturt
    Tall Defender
    192cm/93kg

Solid defender with great intercept marking ability. The Swans need more depth in their tall defender department with aliir leaving. Behind Rampe who plays taller than he is, there isn’t much depth at the swans. Is melican good enough to make it long term, do they leave mccartin down back? Borlase will certainly be a welcome addition, he played senior football this year and did not look out of place, strong over the ball and a safe pair of hands in the air. There will be question marks over his height and athleticism but players like Jonas, Rampe, Stratton etc have shown you can successfully play in defense undersized if you have high football iq and are a great competitor. Those two qualities Borlase has in spades, while also being a great contested mark. I feel he’s the type of the player that will thrive in the swans system and potentially be a gem late in the draft for Sydney.
    Pie 4 Life

Pick 61: Collingwood – Ryan Angwin
  • Pick 61 - Collingwood selects Ryan Angwin (Gippsland Power/Vic Country)

POSITION:
    Balanced Midfielder

Ryan Angwin was a consistent performer for Gippsland Power in his bottom-age year, not needing to do too much each game to catch the eye, and was one of those players that is able to compete above his weight range. Standing at 184cm and just 72kg, Angwin is certainly lightly built, but shares some similarities with former Gippsland Power captain, Xavier Duursma. Like the now Port Adelaide youngster, Angwin does not have a lot of strength, but he still wins plenty of contested ball, often showing great courage in the air or at ground level. Believe it or not, Angwin put on size between 2019 and 2020, adding 10kg to his frame after weighing in at just 62kg at the start of 2019.

STRENGTHS:

• Courage
    • Endurance
    • Upside
    • Footy smarts
    • Work rate
    • Aerial ability
    IMPROVEMENTS:

• Strength
    • Accumulation
    • Raw
    Angwin played 11 games for the Power in 2019, holding his own against bigger bodies and winning 48 per cent of his possessions in a contest. As a late-year birth – his 18th birthday is not until December 12 – Angwin effectively has an extra year of development to some others, and without his top-age year, he almost has an equivalent of an Under 16s season to compare to. Doing just that, the spindly midfielder is certainly ahead of expectations, and while he did not win a heap of the ball, he generally was able to use it fairly well with his footy smarts.

Angwin has an elite endurance base, showing it off with his remarkable 6:11 two-kilometre time trial, which was among the top five fastest recorded time at the AFL Draft Combines across the country. Adding in his three-second 20-metre sprint and 80cm running vertical leap, Angwin has enough athleticism to suggest that area will not hold him back in the future. One would expect that regardless of how much size he puts on, Angwin will predominantly play as an outside midfielder who can pinch-hit inside, with his work rate up and down the ground impressive. He could follow a similar path to Duursma with his career, though Angwin is a little more raw than the former first round pick.

If Angwin can continue to build his strength and improve his ball-winning abilities, then he has the contested numbers and impact to suggest he can have a consistent output. He is not afraid to receive contact from bigger opponents, and can pull down some strong grabs, averaging 2.6 marks in season 2020. He only had the two games with more than 15 touches, but even when he did not win much of the ball in the terrible wet conditions against Geelong Falcons at Shepley Oval, showed his class with a massive hanger. It summed up how he can catch the eye with a highlight here or there, or a moment that fans can walk away remembering him for.

giantroo

Pick 62: North Melbourne – Malachy Carruthers
  • Pick 61 - Collingwood selects Ryan Angwin (Gippsland Power/Vic Country)

POSITION:
    Balanced Midfielder

Ryan Angwin was a consistent performer for Gippsland Power in his bottom-age year, not needing to do too much each game to catch the eye, and was one of those players that is able to compete above his weight range. Standing at 184cm and just 72kg, Angwin is certainly lightly built, but shares some similarities with former Gippsland Power captain, Xavier Duursma. Like the now Port Adelaide youngster, Angwin does not have a lot of strength, but he still wins plenty of contested ball, often showing great courage in the air or at ground level. Believe it or not, Angwin put on size between 2019 and 2020, adding 10kg to his frame after weighing in at just 62kg at the start of 2019.

STRENGTHS:

• Courage
    • Endurance
    • Upside
    • Footy smarts
    • Work rate
    • Aerial ability
    IMPROVEMENTS:

• Strength
    • Accumulation
    • Raw
    Angwin played 11 games for the Power in 2019, holding his own against bigger bodies and winning 48 per cent of his possessions in a contest. As a late-year birth – his 18th birthday is not until December 12 – Angwin effectively has an extra year of development to some others, and without his top-age year, he almost has an equivalent of an Under 16s season to compare to. Doing just that, the spindly midfielder is certainly ahead of expectations, and while he did not win a heap of the ball, he generally was able to use it fairly well with his footy smarts.

Angwin has an elite endurance base, showing it off with his remarkable 6:11 two-kilometre time trial, which was among the top five fastest recorded time at the AFL Draft Combines across the country. Adding in his three-second 20-metre sprint and 80cm running vertical leap, Angwin has enough athleticism to suggest that area will not hold him back in the future. One would expect that regardless of how much size he puts on, Angwin will predominantly play as an outside midfielder who can pinch-hit inside, with his work rate up and down the ground impressive. He could follow a similar path to Duursma with his career, though Angwin is a little more raw than the former first round pick.

If Angwin can continue to build his strength and improve his ball-winning abilities, then he has the contested numbers and impact to suggest he can have a consistent output. He is not afraid to receive contact from bigger opponents, and can pull down some strong grabs, averaging 2.6 marks in season 2020. He only had the two games with more than 15 touches, but even when he did not win much of the ball in the terrible wet conditions against Geelong Falcons at Shepley Oval, showed his class with a massive hanger. It summed up how he can catch the eye with a highlight here or there, or a moment that fans can walk away remembering him for.

giantroo
    Bugger, took my pick.

Pick #62 - North Melbourne - Malachy Carruthers - Medium Defender - Sturt/ South Australia 185cm/72kg

North take Malachy with its last pick. Malachy is a medium attacking defender with a big tank and a beautiful kick. He is a rebounding defender who can slice open zones with his short and long kicking and not afraid to run. He recently ran 6.30m in the 2km time trial along with 8.40 seconds in the agility test in the recent SA combine. A welcome addition to the North Melbourne backline.

Sturt centre of excellence manager Michael Higgs says: “He’s been very consistent for us this year across half-back. Reading the play well and knowing when to drop off and help, or stay locked on and win his one-on-one. Offensively, his vision and skills by foot have been sublime.”

Stats
    2020 SANFL 18 (7 games)

119 ranking points, 22.9 disposals, 16.3 uncontested possessions, 6.6 intercept possessions

View attachment video-1606422116 (1).mp4

Macca19

Last edited:
    Pick 63: Port Adelaide – Phoenix Spicer
  • Port select Phoenix Spicer

173cm, 74kg, South Adelaide.

Phoenix is a lightning quick Aboriginal small forward/midfielder who has amazing pace, agility and tons of x-factor. If you want someone to be a cult hero, this kid is your man. He is an excitement machine running up and down the wing. Unfortunately there are some faults to his game which will need to be ironed out before he makes it as an AFL player.

He can try and do far too much with the ball. He'll make his way around 2, even 3 opponents then come unstuck when he tries to sidestep the 4th. His foot skills can let him down. Soemtimes he looks like a great kick, other times he looks like the worst kick you've seen. There is a lot of Shai Bolton in him in that regard, who i was a big fan of in his draft year but who had a shockingly inconsistent kicking style.

If he makes it, then he will become a fan favourite with his creativity, his flair and his ability to kick goals. But, there is a chance he doesn't play at all At this stage of the draft, its a risk worth taking.

-------------------------------------------------------------

PORTS DRAFT HAUL

Lachlan Jones
    Zac Dumesny
    Phoenix Spicer

This could not have played out any better in my opinion. To not have to accept a bid on Taj Schofield was amazing and allows us to pick him up in the rookie draft. I didnt plan on picking all SA players. I was going to pick Conor Stone who went the pick before the Dumesny pick, and Lachy Carrigan was a 50/50 shot with the Spicer pick.

Bring on the rookie draft!

Last edited:
    Pick 65: Carlton – Charlie Lazzaro
  • Seeing Carruthers and Spicer go in consecutive picks right before me was heart-breaking.

Pick 64 - Carlton
    Charlie Lazzaro
    Midfielder

I'm pretty confident that Lazzaro has what it takes to make it as a solid role player at AFL level. He seems a high character kid who will unquestionably give himself every chance of making it at the elite level. He's a pretty shifty midfielder that wins the footy on the inside and creates space for himself before distributing by either hand or foot to teammates on the outside. He's a strong tackler with a big tank so he'll just keep coming at you all day.

I was a bit concerned about going too many similar types and considered one or two other options (which I'm hoping will be there as a rookie selection) but if I'm handing out a main list position I want to give it to someone who I know is going to get the absolute best out of themselves and I feel that Lazzaro will do that.

Monocle you're up

Last edited:
    Pick 66: West Coast – Max Holmes
  • West Coast.
    Max Holmes. Midfielder. 189 cm 74 cm.
    Sandringham Dragons.

I came into the draft with precious little in the way of picks, but I also knowing that I had to address the most pressing need at West Coast and that was to bolster its midfield depth.

That meant, ( if at all possible ), I was only going to take what I considered genuine midfielders rather than flankers, who might just / maybe - could develop into genuine midfielder.

I will admit that Holmes is a very speculative pick and that the body of work to consider him by is minuscule.

That said, I see Holmes as a wingman and a genuine outside midfielder and as such, he fitted my brief.

Holmes athletic ability was also hard to ignore, his combine results placed him at the top end of three categories: Sprinting, endurance and agility.
    None of that surprised me given that he was the Under 18 Australian National 400 meter / hurdle title holder, and his genes in athletics also was a factor as Mum is none other than Olympic and Commonwealth Games Gold medalist Lee Naylor.

Now back to the very small sample of his footballing prowess.

Last season he broke his arm playing for Melbourne Grammar and he was only able to play three games for the school.
    He did however make it back to play the one game for Sandringham.
    Pre the Covid shutdown he managed one pre season game, all be it he did well.

I also read that his coaches thought he was going to have a good season, but lets be honest which coach is ever going to say that player X is in for a sh1t season.
    So the coaches comment were to a degree taken with a grain of salt.

So on the skinny body of evidence I have selected him with the second last pick in the mock draft.

The selection, I admit, is risky....but what the hell ...... with this late pick .......... what have I got to loose.

On the plus side of things and it did play a part in his selection, I felt that his top end athleticism, particularly the endurance and speed, would suit the West Coast game style and the fast track that Optus Stadium is.

Time will tell... can he football as well he runs.

So that completes the measly draft hand, but having been able to pick up: Pedlar and Holmes.
    I am happy with what I have done with a sh1tty hand at the draft table.

Last edited:
    Pick 67: Geelong – Cam Fleeton
  • Pick 67: Cameron Fleeton (Tall Defender/Vic Country) (Heigh: 191cm, Weight: 80kg)

I decided to give Geelong another developing key position talent in Cameron Fleeton. He's a local Geelong Falcon boy who looked ready to make some big strides this year, but his work last year is enough to have him on clubs radar. He's a natural intercept marker who can read the play, as well as being someone who's calmed and composed which makes him someone you can rely on in the back half. Much like Lane who I drafted before, he's a competitive character as well as someone who shows leadership and could be somewhat of a general in the backline in a few years time. One of the main question marks is his size. At 191cm he's not exactly a true key position size but we've seen players like Dane Rampe and Luke Ryan work as key defenders despite not being the hulking 195cm+ tall defenders that clubs want. Geelong could do with a player like Fleeton developing over the next few years, and he could potentially break into Geelong's backline earlier than some would expect considering how much his versatility and skill set will differ him from other players in Geelong's backline.

Last edited:
    Rookie Pick 2: North Melbourne – Seamus Mitchell
  • Pick #2 North Melbourne | Seamus Mitchell | 182cm 72kg | Bendigo Pioneers | Midfielder/Forward

Comparison:Zac Williams

- has speed to burn,
    - beautiful kick
    - strong game sense.
    - can break the lines, can be played at HB.

andleanback

Rookie Pick 4: Hawthorn – Jackson Ramsay
  • Pick 4 - Jackson Ramsay - East Perth - 184cm 82kg

picking up a 26yr old and depth for our midfield, this guy is too good for the WAFL, he was a defender at Collingwood previously, but has moved to the midfield where he has won 2 best and fairests in 2 years and 3rd in the Sandover medal this year, really clean hands and skills, we potentially need to change up our midfield as it gets embarrassed far too often in recent years and i think he could be a player to play straight away and challenge our established mids for dominance of the centre square, maybe like a Tim Kelly type impact, which is the hope here as a rookie pick up.

i also contemplated Josh Gore and Harry Sharp here, but i really like Jackson Ramsay and what he could bring to the AFL in the midfield.

Snoop Dog or whoever is doing Gold Coast

Rookie Pick 5: Gold Coast – Rhys Nicholls
  • Pick 5 Gold Coast - Rhys Nicholls

Gold Coast Academy prospect, Nicholls is a 188cm half back - good intercept player, AFL level speed and just a good overall package. I think he's the most likely of the Suns players to be listed (outside of Davies and Jeffrey).

eDPS for Essendon

Rookie Pick 7: Fremantle – Hugh Dixon
  • Who do you rate higher if you had to select 1 of Eyre or Brand nd where do you think the bombers will and wont match on these 2 boys

Probably what will happen...

Rookie Pick 7: Hugh Dixon - Key Forward (Fremantle)
    194cm

ModernArtillery

Rookie Pick 9: GWS – Nick Stevens
  • Rookie Pick 9 - GWS

Nick Stevens
    GWV Rebels
    Tall Defender
    192 cm 84 kg

A good sized defender that plays tall or small, has a lot to like about his game with the major concern being his contested groundball work, which I'd be hoping he doesn't have to be apart of too often anyway. Particularly attracted to his speed for his size, and like the other picks I've made, his composure with ball in hand, which allows him to make the best decision more often than not

Also considered: Harry Sharp, Aiden Fyfe, Josh Green

Rookie Pick 10: Melbourne – Callum Park
  • #10 Melbourne - Callum Park (190cm, 74kg from Glenelg)

I just really like him. I did last year, and I still do this year - I have him in the top 50 mix again.

Still on the skinny side, but he has put on about 7kg since last going undrafted last season - so he's on the right track. Despite that, he had a really consistent season playing league football for Glenelg. His last 6 weeks were particularly impressive as a rebounding half back where he averaged a tick under 20 touches and 10 rebound 50s. Excellent foot skills and makes good decisions. Has the versatility to play off a wing too. I must be missing something because I think he shows a lot of AFL potential, and I don't think he's that far off Will Day as a prospect from last year.

There were a few others I considered - the other top 50 player I had left was Patrick Walker, who I have as Tasmania's best prospect. I also like Matt Allison as a decent tall option. But I had to go with a South Australian and Callum Park beat out Mitch Duval, Jacob Wehr and Beau McCreery.

Wizard17

Rookie Pick 12: West Coast – Jack Avery
  • Pick # 12. West Coast.

Jack Avery. 190 cm 84 kg . Defender / Midfield. Claremont

Avery is a player that I was tempted to pick with both my two picks in the Mock but I, mischievously let him go to see if any others rated him.

A player who has hardly received any attention, or acknowledgement on Big Footy and many won't know who he is, or just how good a season he had in 2020.

That's not totally surprising as he has over the last 12 months come from obscurity as a player no one would have had on their 2020 " to watch list" , myself included.
    Secondly he has, out of necessity been played, out of position, at CHB due to Claremont being short on tall defenders.

He played well enough to get named in the Colts Team of The Year at CHB, where as a primary defender he still managed to average 23 possessions per game.

Claremont were under the pump in the Grand Final from a rampant Subiaco who were dominating centre clearances.
    So at half time Avery was thrown into the midfield.
    He finished the game with 33 possessions.

I am an avid Claremont supporter and I have watched Avery live a lot this year and was both impressed with his game and frustrated that he wasn't played in the midfield.

Needless to say Avery was a favourite of mine, so any accusations of bias, are duly owned by me.
    Those on the West Coast board will know of him as I have been banging on about him for the last two months.

Ok what does he do well:

He finds the ball and hunts his own football.
    He reads the play well particularly in flight, consequently he is an out standing intercept mark.
    On the ground he is very accomplished below his knees.
    His left foot is a real weapon, its long and flat and very accurate.
    Some of his ball movement has me seeing some Trent Mckenzie and Grant Birchall moments.
    He is hard at the contest and is rarely beaten one on one when the ball is in dispute.

He does need to work on his endurance.

His development week by week in 2020 caught the attention of AFL Clubs and consequently he received a late invite to the State Combine.
    He has had several Clubs contact him.

Jack is a Gold Coast Suns fan, but has said that he will gladly move to any Club thats willing to give him a chance.

There are some kids that I feel for, as the Covid shutdown has deprived us of seeing how all the Victorian kids would developed.

Was looking forward early in the year to see how Clayton Gay ( Dandenong ) and Liam Conway ( Western Jets ) came on.

Gay in particular was on my list for both of my late picks had players I wanted been gone.

Pie 4 Life your up.

Rookie Pick 13: Collingwood – Taj Schofield
  • Pick 13 - Collingwood select Taj Schofield (WWT Eagles/Port Adelaide F/S)

POSITION:
    Outside Midfielder/Small Forward

Taj Schofield is a Port Adelaide father-son prospect who made the switch from Western Australia to South Australia, after earning All Australian honours at the 2018 Under 16 National Championships. Since then, he has joined Woodville-West Torrens’ and Henley High School, while making the South Australian Under 18 squad as a bottom-ager. He plays predominantly through the middle of the ground but does some of his best work as an outside receiver. He is often seen at either end of the ground to be utilised as a link player in attacking forays, or as a deliverer to leading forwards as he has shown capabilities on either side of his body. The son of Port premiership player Jarrad, Schofield has long been a highly-touted prospect and a mainstay in the AFL Academy pathway, thus earning a National Combine invite in 2020.

STRENGTHS:

• Disposal efficiency
    • Football IQ
    • Cleanliness
    • Work rate
    • Tackling
    • Agility
    IMPROVEMENTS:

• Strength/size
    • Inside work
    • Durability
    Schofield’s bottom-age season was impressive where he averaged a touch over 18 disposals and more than four tackles per game. He featured in the Under 17 Futures All-Stars game and even though he was a little quiet, he showed glimpses of his elite ball use and cleanliness at ground level while moving at pace. His 2020 season hardly deviated in terms of stats from the previous season, playing 12 games including finals. Unfortunately, he was ruled out early in two of them with hamstring niggles. He did not record a full game where had less than 15 disposals, but in his top-age season there were not too many big games from him in terms of accumulation. Schofield’s best effort came in Round 12 where he recorded 32 disposals, one goal, four clearances, and seven inside 50s. He did show more of a willingness to hit the scoreboard this season and that is an area he will look to continue to develop in the future.

With a 178cm and 72kg frame, Schofield’s size does not quite match up to some senior players and even to other prospects in his draft class, including 191cm teammate Caleb Poulter. He can continue to look to build on his strength and explosiveness, as well as his key weapon which is his slick ball use. He often relies more on agility and awareness, before spearing short kicks on the move. Building on that could allow him to become a role player for teams as he develops. Improvements to his strength and explosiveness will naturally better his inside game and ability to win his own football inside. He has typically found the ball in more uncontested situations and kicked at a higher rate than he handballed. His transition to AFL level will thus most likely start on the outer, or even up as a small flanker who can dart short and precise passes along the line while contributing at ground level.

To go with his disposal efficiency, ability to get around the ground, and move the ball forward, Schofield’s ability to gather below his knees and make quality decisions demonstrates his quality on the outside. The defensive pressure he applies around the contest is also key to this as it proves he is not just a front-runner, as he is prepared to tackle hard and smother. He has the potential to develop similarly to Brisbane’s Hugh McCluggage, who started predominately as slick wingman, but has started to become a first-rotation on-baller who gets regular shots on goals. While his disposal is usually sound, like McCluggage in recent times, refining that finished product under pressure is another area of improvement.

Last edited:
    Rookie Pick 14: St Kilda – Jackson Hately
  • Pick 14 - St Kilda - Jackson Hately

If we're not having a PSD as part of this mock draft and he isn't selected by anyone in the rookie draft, given he's not eligible to be selected as a delisted free agent and needs to go into the draft.

Hately is a lock and load, round 1 best 22 player and provides Steele and Crouch immediate support. My view is he's worth a late first round pick in this draft. So the pick is a straight forward one, particularly with none even inside my top-45 remaining.

I also considered Connor Ballenden, Matthew Kennedy, Marty Gleeson and Noah Gown as other delisted players, all of whom I touched upon in my YouTube video today. They all in my view represent based on my analysis far superior value to those remaining in the pool at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back