BigFooty Official Official BigFooty Phantom Draft - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Order

1. Adelaide - Elijah Hollands
2. North Melbourne - Riley Thilthorpe
3. Western Bulldogs - Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (matched bid)
4. Sydney - Logan McDonald
5. Hawthorn - Denver Grainger-Barras
6. Gold Coast - Will Phillips
7. Sydney - Braeden Campbell (matched bid)
8. Essendon - Archie Perkins
9. Essendon - Nikolas Cox
10. Essendon - Nathan O'Driscoll
11. Port Adelaide - Lachie Jones (matched bid)
12. Adelaide - Finlay Macrae
13. GWS - Tanner Bruhn
14. North Melbourne - Zac Reid
15. Fremantle - Heath Chapman
16. Collingwood - Reef McInnes (matched bid)
17. GWS - Oliver Henry
18. GWS - Jack Carroll
19. Collingwood - Eddie Ford
20. Richmond - Brayden Cook
21. Melbourne - Zavier Maher
22. Melbourne - Blake Coleman (unmatched bid)
23. GWS - Errol Gulden (unmatched bid)
24. St Kilda - Sam Berry

25. Adelaide - Caleb Poulter
26. Adelaide - Tom Powell
27. Hawthorn - Jackson Callow
28. Brisbane - Max Heath
29. Gold Coast - Alex Davies (pre-listed selection)
30. Melbourne - Fraser Rosman
31. Fremantle - Brandon Walker (matched bid)
32. GWS - Tom Highmore
33. North Melbourne - Joel Western (unmatched bid)
34. Carlton - Bailey Laurie
35. Richmond - Jack Ginnivan
36. Carlton - Brodie Lake
37. North Melbourne - Oliver Davis
38. Adelaide - Kaine Baldwin

39. Essendon - Liam McMahon
40. Hawthorn - Luke Edwards
41. Hawthorn - Zane Trew
42. Sydney - Shannon Neale
43. Hawthorn - Connor Downie
44. Western Bulldogs - Isiah Winder
45. Geelong - Kalin Lane
46. Brisbane - Jake Bowey
47. Western Bulldogs - Corey Durdin
48. Fremantle - Liam Kolar
49. Fremantle - Finn Gorringe
50. Brisbane - Conor Stone
51. Port Adelaide - Zac Dumesny
52. Richmond - Josh Treacy

53. West Coast - Luke Pedlar
54. Richmond - Maurice Rioli Jnr (matched bid)
55. St Kilda - Jackson Cardillo
56. Essendon - Cody Brand (matched bid)
57. Collingwood - Tariek Newchurch
58. St Kilda - Max Pescud
59. Collingwood - Ollie Lord
60. Sydney - James Borlase
61. Collingwood - Ryan Angwin
62. North Melbourne - Malachy Carruthers
63. Port Adelaide - Phoenix Spicer
64. Gold Coast - Joel Jeffrey (pre-listed selection)
65. Carlton - Charlie Lazzaro
66. West Coast - Max Holmes
67. Geelong - Cam Fleeton

Preseason Draft

1. Adelaide - Jackson Hately

Rookie Draft

1. Adelaide - Henry Smith
2. North Melbourne - Seamus Mitchell
3. Sydney - Dominic Bedendo
4. Hawthorn - Jackson Ramsay
5. Gold Coast - Rhys Nicholls
6. Essendon - Josh Eyre
7. Fremantle - Hugh Dixon
8. Carlton - Riley Holder
9. GWS - Nick Stevens
10. Melbourne - Callum Park
11. Western Bulldogs - Ewan MacPherson
12. West Coast - Jack Avery
13. Collingwood - Taj Schofield
14. St Kilda - Connor Ballenden
15. Brisbane - Carter Michael
16. Port Adelaide - Matthew Allison
17. Geelong - Patrick Walker
18. Richmond - Campbell Edwardes

Last edited:
Pick 63: Port Adelaide – Phoenix Spicer
Port select Phoenix Spicer

173cm, 74kg, South Adelaide.

Phoenix is a lightning quick Aboriginal small forward/midfielder who has amazing pace, agility and tons of x-factor. If you want someone to be a cult hero, this kid is your man. He is an excitement machine running up and down the wing. Unfortunately there are some faults to his game which will need to be ironed out before he makes it as an AFL player.

He can try and do far too much with the ball. He'll make his way around 2, even 3 opponents then come unstuck when he tries to sidestep the 4th. His foot skills can let him down. Soemtimes he looks like a great kick, other times he looks like the worst kick you've seen. There is a lot of Shai Bolton in him in that regard, who i was a big fan of in his draft year but who had a shockingly inconsistent kicking style.

If he makes it, then he will become a fan favourite with his creativity, his flair and his ability to kick goals. But, there is a chance he doesn't play at all At this stage of the draft, its a risk worth taking.

-------------------------------------------------------------

PORTS DRAFT HAUL

Lachlan Jones
Zac Dumesny
Phoenix Spicer

This could not have played out any better in my opinion. To not have to accept a bid on Taj Schofield was amazing and allows us to pick him up in the rookie draft. I didnt plan on picking all SA players. I was going to pick Conor Stone who went the pick before the Dumesny pick, and Lachy Carrigan was a 50/50 shot with the Spicer pick.

Bring on the rookie draft!

Last edited:
Richmond Summary
Conclusion;
RICHMOND FOOTBALL CLUB

Brayden Cook
FWD/WING - Match winner, high ceiling, scoreboard impact, creativeness, evasive through traffic, projected HF/WING position
Richmond similarities - Martin style fwd play (not his 1v1 ability yet though) and Caddy (at his best) style Hf/wing play
With a good preseason this summer Brayden may play a few games next year if chances open up, but his tank will need to improve, and I see him possibly becoming a regular 1-2 seasons down the track.

Jack Ginnivan FWD/UTILITY - Class, evasive, scoreboard impact, meters gained, efficiency, projected swingman HB/WING/HF
Richmond similarities - Short/Houli style Def/wing play and Edwards style hf play
Jack is similar to some recent draftees of ours, he maybe ready for some senior games next year and regular games in 2022 but will need to bide his time with the senior core going well at the moment.

Josh Treacy FWD/UTILITY - Great hands, athletic, multi-positional, big kick, good body profile, effective and efficient, projected Riewoldt game style replacement.
Richmond similarities - closest to young Riewoldt style
Could be 2-3 Seasons before gets regular senior spot if all goes right for his progression and depending on the impending Riewoldt retirement.

Maurice Rioli Jnr FWD - fierce tackler, hunter, goal nous, creative, elusive, fast, raw talent, big upside, projected fwd pocket-defensive fwd style.
Richmond similarities - goal hunger and nous of ex Tiger Higgins, is a fiercer hunter than Castagna inside fwd 50 and has more tackle desperation than Graham (which is saying something)
Maybe 2-3 preseasons from being regular senior player week in week out if all goes right maybe 4 seasons given our current depth And he is still lightly framed and raw.

This, I believe, leaves us with 1 open spot on our list going into next season which I think is ideal given the 3 mini drafts that will happen next year,
If anything goes wrong with someone or someone at the level below is tearing it up and providing evidence that they belong at the top level, we will have a position open to grab them if needed.

I personally think Rioli will be bid on much earlier than in this phantom draft so Richmond may get 2 picks then match a bid, but he may even be bid on earlier, giving the Tigers 1 pick before matching, then leaving us with a late pick in the draft to get a slider or a raw developable talent, which is not that bad either.

I do believe the Tigers intend on leaving at least 1 spot open on the list.

Pick 65: Carlton – Charlie Lazzaro
Seeing Carruthers and Spicer go in consecutive picks right before me was heart-breaking.

Pick 64 - Carlton
Charlie Lazzaro
Midfielder

I'm pretty confident that Lazzaro has what it takes to make it as a solid role player at AFL level. He seems a high character kid who will unquestionably give himself every chance of making it at the elite level. He's a pretty shifty midfielder that wins the footy on the inside and creates space for himself before distributing by either hand or foot to teammates on the outside. He's a strong tackler with a big tank so he'll just keep coming at you all day.

I was a bit concerned about going too many similar types and considered one or two other options (which I'm hoping will be there as a rookie selection) but if I'm handing out a main list position I want to give it to someone who I know is going to get the absolute best out of themselves and I feel that Lazzaro will do that.

Monocle you're up

Last edited:
Pick 66: West Coast – Max Holmes
West Coast.
Max Holmes. Midfielder. 189 cm 74 cm.
Sandringham Dragons.

I came into the draft with precious little in the way of picks, but I also knowing that I had to address the most pressing need at West Coast and that was to bolster its midfield depth.

That meant, ( if at all possible ), I was only going to take what I considered genuine midfielders rather than flankers, who might just / maybe - could develop into genuine midfielder.

I will admit that Holmes is a very speculative pick and that the body of work to consider him by is minuscule.

That said, I see Holmes as a wingman and a genuine outside midfielder and as such, he fitted my brief.

Holmes athletic ability was also hard to ignore, his combine results placed him at the top end of three categories: Sprinting, endurance and agility.
None of that surprised me given that he was the Under 18 Australian National 400 meter / hurdle title holder, and his genes in athletics also was a factor as Mum is none other than Olympic and Commonwealth Games Gold medalist Lee Naylor.

Now back to the very small sample of his footballing prowess.

Last season he broke his arm playing for Melbourne Grammar and he was only able to play three games for the school.
He did however make it back to play the one game for Sandringham.
Pre the Covid shutdown he managed one pre season game, all be it he did well.

I also read that his coaches thought he was going to have a good season, but lets be honest which coach is ever going to say that player X is in for a sh1t season.
So the coaches comment were to a degree taken with a grain of salt.

So on the skinny body of evidence I have selected him with the second last pick in the mock draft.

The selection, I admit, is risky....but what the hell ...... with this late pick .......... what have I got to loose.

On the plus side of things and it did play a part in his selection, I felt that his top end athleticism, particularly the endurance and speed, would suit the West Coast game style and the fast track that Optus Stadium is.

Time will tell... can he football as well he runs.

So that completes the measly draft hand, but having been able to pick up: Pedlar and Holmes.
I am happy with what I have done with a sh1tty hand at the draft table.

Last edited:
All these later picks were in my considerations for my last pick, looks like a lot of people have the same late prospects on their boards. I think it really levels out towards the end. The small forward group as a whole is quite deep this year, particularly if you can overlook either defensive pressure, consistency or size (depending on the one in question).

GWS Summary
GWS Summary

Pick 13 - Tanner Bruhn
Classy, Composed, hard at it and high impact player from Geelong who should see early games next year health permitting, fills a need for high quality users of the footy in our midfield

Pick 17 - Oliver Henry
Good reader of the player, athletic and good user of the footy, another Falcons lad who could realistically get a few games next year, as a utility option and our need for players either end it's exciting to wonder what he'll develop into

Pick 18 - Jack Carroll
Classy, Composed, high impact WA boy with versatility to play a variety of roles, one that uses his game smarts more so than athleticism to find space and separation

Pick 23 - Errol Gulden
Smart footballer that wins plenty of ball, on the shorter side so will likely have to ply his trade as a small forward until he adds some more contested game, then could be unleashed into the middle

Pick 32 - Tom Highmore
Mature aged KPD that can lockdown as well as he can rebound and set up counter attacks, last season showed we have a harsh drop off for KPD depth, if we persist with 3-4 tall defenders he could see games from Round 1

All these later picks were in my considerations for my last pick, looks like a lot of people have the same late prospects on their boards. I think it really levels out towards the end. The small forward group as a whole is quite deep this year, particularly if you can overlook either defensive pressure, consistency or size (depending on the one in question).
Yeah my shortlist for possible Rookie Draft candidates is still pretty long all things considered, hope a few get knocked out to make my decision easier

Collingwood Summary
Collingwood Draft recap:

#16 Reef McInnes
#19 Eddie Ford
#57 Tariek Newchurch
#59 Ollie Lord
#61 Ryan Angwin

It was never going to be an easy draft given Collingwood's draft hand - thanks Ned Guy - but personally I think I got say 7-8/10 of what I would have liked in a perfect world. Reef is not bad valye at #16 by any means, and the big thing was upside with what I wanted to target with the picks, knowing full well that with the late picks particularly, you go for the ones who might improve the greatest in the long term.

I think all five players have the potential to improve, with Newchurch remarkable value at that pick if everything can click at the top level. Lord is one who I had additionally pegged as the value late, which is why I didn't want to reach with say a Callow/Baldwin (though I do like both) with Pick 19. Instead, it means we can pair up Ford with McInnes and then Angwin as that midfield group that is versatile enough to play other positions.

While Ford and Angwin due to endurance and size respectively are predominantly outside players, and flanks and wings respectively, they both have good aggression at the ball carrier and contest ball, so have that extra edge over the players the Pies lost in the Trade Period. I think they fill those gaps left by the players, and Newchurch is of course a different forward to Ford, and could be anything. Then throw in Lord as the key forward and we've finally drafted one!

Overall considering the odds, I'm fairly happy with what I managed to pull off there, it was never going to be massive but I don't have regrets with the selections.

GWS Summary

Pick 13 - Tanner Bruhn
Classy, Composed, hard at it and high impact player from Geelong who should see early games next year health permitting, fills a need for high quality users of the footy in our midfield

Pick 17 - Oliver Henry
Good reader of the player, athletic and good user of the footy, another Falcons lad who could realistically get a few games next year, as a utility option and our need for players either end it's exciting to wonder what he'll develop into

Pick 18 - Jack Carroll
Classy, Composed, high impact WA boy with versatility to play a variety of roles, one that uses his game smarts more so than athleticism to find space and separation

Pick 23 - Errol Gulden
Smart footballer that wins plenty of ball, on the shorter side so will likely have to ply his trade as a small forward until he adds some more contested game, then could be unleashed into the middle

Pick 32 - Tom Highmore
Mature aged KPD that can lockdown as well as he can rebound and set up counter attacks, last season showed we have a harsh drop off for KPD depth, if we persist with 3-4 tall defenders he could see games from Round 1
You got two of my three favourite players there in Bruhn and Gulden haha

West Coast: Pick # 125795254444 ( well feels like it anyway )

Luke Pedlar. Midfielder / Forward. 183 cm 80 kg. Glenelg.

Help for a midfield thats short on depth, in a team that doesn't win enough contested possession.

Been described as an Inside Bull, with a playing style in the Joel Selwood Ollie Wines style, a player who unflinchingly puts his head over the ball at all times.

Sounds almost to good to be true, so why has he lasted so late in the draft.

Simple answer is that all players selected at this point have question marks over them. They may have a deficiency or a some other question mark. Pedlar is no exception and his question mark is injuries. That have firstly prevented him from being on the Park is a season that has been simultaneously compromised by no Championships.

Like all of his cohort Pedlar has been restricted from showing his craft due to Covid and the fact that he also had an injury to his shoulder early in the season and then a minor knee injury late in the season which kept him out of the School Grand Final.

Pedlar has some positional flexibility to his skill set as whilst he is a very good inside mid he also can play as a small forward that hits the scoreboard, plus his pressure in either position is elite. He may well start his career at AFL as a small forward and then work his way into the midfield rotations.

Pedlar also has leadership qualities as he was School Captain of Prince Alfred College.

Being from Hastings a couple of hours South Of Adelaide he has already lived away from home, so an inter state move should not be a big obstacle.

It’s no secret that after the starting midfield, West Coast run very thin on any sort of quality depth to its midfield.
So the addition of a contested beast to add to the midfield rotations makes a lot of sense and the fact that Pedlar has positional versatility is a bonus.

Pretty happy to have been able to pick up a genuine midfielder so late in the draft.

Knightmare Saints are up.
Seems a bit vanilla.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One more pick to go.

Since we finished in absolute record time, we’ll be adding on a one round Rookie Draft just for fun.

Everyone gets a pick regardless of list sizes. No need to select the demoted senior listed players. I’ll update the order later, but it’ll be reverse ladder of course.

Pick 67: Geelong – Cam Fleeton
Pick 67: Cameron Fleeton (Tall Defender/Vic Country) (Heigh: 191cm, Weight: 80kg)

I decided to give Geelong another developing key position talent in Cameron Fleeton. He's a local Geelong Falcon boy who looked ready to make some big strides this year, but his work last year is enough to have him on clubs radar. He's a natural intercept marker who can read the play, as well as being someone who's calmed and composed which makes him someone you can rely on in the back half. Much like Lane who I drafted before, he's a competitive character as well as someone who shows leadership and could be somewhat of a general in the backline in a few years time. One of the main question marks is his size. At 191cm he's not exactly a true key position size but we've seen players like Dane Rampe and Luke Ryan work as key defenders despite not being the hulking 195cm+ tall defenders that clubs want. Geelong could do with a player like Fleeton developing over the next few years, and he could potentially break into Geelong's backline earlier than some would expect considering how much his versatility and skill set will differ him from other players in Geelong's backline.

Last edited:
Geelong pick Cam Fleeton, i’ll edit this with a write up soon
Good pick. Seriously considered him at the Pies pick because he's a quality player, but just the one thing we really don't need at the moment so glad he got picked up.

Geelong pick Cam Fleeton, i’ll edit this with a write up soon
Good pick. Seriously considered him at the Pies pick because he's a quality player, but just the one thing we really don't need at the moment so glad he got picked up.
It was a coin flip between Fleeton and Highmore for me, ultimately think we need reliable instant depth though and Highmore has a better capacity to play on AFL talls

Flynn Appleby a bit stiff to get delisted?

It was a coin flip between Fleeton and Highmore for me, ultimately think we need reliable instant depth though and Highmore has a better capacity to play on AFL talls
Well Highmore was originally who I wanted for my first pick, I was also considering Chad Pearson from the WAFL, but decided that Fleeton has a higher ceiling

Flynn Appleby a bit stiff to get delisted?
Yeah had some injuries and then we trialled him as a forward, but as we saw in the game he played, he is not a natural forward. I really liked him as you know, but he was cover and it was the one area we never needed cover in. Our medium-tall defenders (bar Schaz) have remained healthy over the journey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back