BigFooty Official Official BigFooty Phantom Draft - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Order

1. Adelaide - Elijah Hollands
2. North Melbourne - Riley Thilthorpe
3. Western Bulldogs - Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (matched bid)
4. Sydney - Logan McDonald
5. Hawthorn - Denver Grainger-Barras
6. Gold Coast - Will Phillips
7. Sydney - Braeden Campbell (matched bid)
8. Essendon - Archie Perkins
9. Essendon - Nikolas Cox
10. Essendon - Nathan O'Driscoll
11. Port Adelaide - Lachie Jones (matched bid)
12. Adelaide - Finlay Macrae
13. GWS - Tanner Bruhn
14. North Melbourne - Zac Reid
15. Fremantle - Heath Chapman
16. Collingwood - Reef McInnes (matched bid)
17. GWS - Oliver Henry
18. GWS - Jack Carroll
19. Collingwood - Eddie Ford
20. Richmond - Brayden Cook
21. Melbourne - Zavier Maher
22. Melbourne - Blake Coleman (unmatched bid)
23. GWS - Errol Gulden (unmatched bid)
24. St Kilda - Sam Berry

25. Adelaide - Caleb Poulter
26. Adelaide - Tom Powell
27. Hawthorn - Jackson Callow
28. Brisbane - Max Heath
29. Gold Coast - Alex Davies (pre-listed selection)
30. Melbourne - Fraser Rosman
31. Fremantle - Brandon Walker (matched bid)
32. GWS - Tom Highmore
33. North Melbourne - Joel Western (unmatched bid)
34. Carlton - Bailey Laurie
35. Richmond - Jack Ginnivan
36. Carlton - Brodie Lake
37. North Melbourne - Oliver Davis
38. Adelaide - Kaine Baldwin

39. Essendon - Liam McMahon
40. Hawthorn - Luke Edwards
41. Hawthorn - Zane Trew
42. Sydney - Shannon Neale
43. Hawthorn - Connor Downie
44. Western Bulldogs - Isiah Winder
45. Geelong - Kalin Lane
46. Brisbane - Jake Bowey
47. Western Bulldogs - Corey Durdin
48. Fremantle - Liam Kolar
49. Fremantle - Finn Gorringe
50. Brisbane - Conor Stone
51. Port Adelaide - Zac Dumesny
52. Richmond - Josh Treacy

53. West Coast - Luke Pedlar
54. Richmond - Maurice Rioli Jnr (matched bid)
55. St Kilda - Jackson Cardillo
56. Essendon - Cody Brand (matched bid)
57. Collingwood - Tariek Newchurch
58. St Kilda - Max Pescud
59. Collingwood - Ollie Lord
60. Sydney - James Borlase
61. Collingwood - Ryan Angwin
62. North Melbourne - Malachy Carruthers
63. Port Adelaide - Phoenix Spicer
64. Gold Coast - Joel Jeffrey (pre-listed selection)
65. Carlton - Charlie Lazzaro
66. West Coast - Max Holmes
67. Geelong - Cam Fleeton

Preseason Draft

1. Adelaide - Jackson Hately

Rookie Draft

1. Adelaide - Henry Smith
2. North Melbourne - Seamus Mitchell
3. Sydney - Dominic Bedendo
4. Hawthorn - Jackson Ramsay
5. Gold Coast - Rhys Nicholls
6. Essendon - Josh Eyre
7. Fremantle - Hugh Dixon
8. Carlton - Riley Holder
9. GWS - Nick Stevens
10. Melbourne - Callum Park
11. Western Bulldogs - Ewan MacPherson
12. West Coast - Jack Avery
13. Collingwood - Taj Schofield
14. St Kilda - Connor Ballenden
15. Brisbane - Carter Michael
16. Port Adelaide - Matthew Allison
17. Geelong - Patrick Walker
18. Richmond - Campbell Edwardes

Last edited:
If I wasn't able to have Schofield he was my next pick haha (and rinse and repeat in that scenario)
Brisbane have four picks available for the National draft, but my guess is we would prefer to just take two picks in the National Draft, use on in the rookie draft, and keep one up our sleeve.

Interesting to see that now all is said and done, that no-one took Henry Walsh? Was invited to the combine, so thought someone here - Carlton or Geelong in particular - may have a look at him. Any particular reason, or is he just too raw still at this stage and probably won't make it as an AFL footballer?

Geelong Summary
Geelong Draft Wrap Up

Pick 45. Kalin Lane (Ruckman/Western Australia) (ALSO CONSIDERED: Henry Walsh/Conor Stone/James Borlase)
Pick 67. Cameron Fleeton (Tall Defender/Vic Country) (ALSO CONSIDERED: Chad Pearson/Charlie Ham/Nick Stevens)

Rookie Pick 17. Patrick Walker (General Defence/Tasmania) (ALSO CONSIDERED: Sam Collins/Xavier Robins/Heath Ramshaw/Jacob Wehr)

Overall I did what I wanted to do. A developing ruckman, a developing tall defender and a general defender with skills were all my main targets and all 3 picks weren't second choices, so I'm happy with all 3.

I originally wanted to grab a mature-ager. I considered both Chad Pearson and Jacob Wehr and Pick 67, and almost went for Wehr again with my rookie pick, but both Fleeton and Walker were too good to pass up. I do like a lot of the mature options this year and I think the only ones we saw were Tom Highmore and Jackson Ramsay.

Of the players who didn't get drafted, Sam Collins was the only player from my top 50 who missed out.

I do like a lot of the mature options this year and I think the only ones we saw were Tom Highmore and Jackson Ramsay .
I was shocked we didnt at least see Rowe picked up

Interesting to see that now all is said and done, that no-one took Henry Walsh? Was invited to the combine, so thought someone here - Carlton or Geelong in particular - may have a look at him. Any particular reason, or is he just too raw still at this stage and probably won't make it as an AFL footballer?
He was on my last remaining list of seven players. I like his stoppage work and aggression but he struggles around the ground with his marking and athleticism. He could build on that for sure, it’s just tough when lists are reduced. Had this gone to say 90-100 all up he would have been one to add.

I was shocked we didnt at least see Rowe picked up
If like I suspect Newchurch and Schofield go to their SA teams in the real thing I would be surprised if the Pies didn’t at least give him a consideration. I would have picked him had I not secured the aforementioned players.

He was on my last remaining list of seven players. I like his stoppage work and aggression but he struggles around the ground with his marking and athleticism. He could build on that for sure, it’s just tough when lists are reduced. Had this gone to say 90-100 all up he would have been one to add.
He is definitely one that in my mind needs to put a body of work in against men, build his body up and improve around the ground, also show some grunt in 1 on 1 situations, seems to get pushed around and pushed under the ball a bit. Easy enough stuff to work on and has some really good traits but in my mind needs a couple of years working on other stuff first. I.e learning some forward craft as well to be especially useful to clubs.

If like I suspect Newchurch and Schofield go to their SA teams in the real thing I would be surprised if the Pies didn’t at least give him a consideration. I would have picked him had I not secured the aforementioned players.
Fair enough, if I hadn't taken Gulden then I would've 100% taken him in the rookie draft, as well as the 4th round, has more to him than Rioli, Newchurch, etc. imo

He is definitely one that in my mind needs to put a body of work in against men, build his body up and improve around the ground, also show some grunt in 1 on 1 situations, seems to get pushed around and pushed under the ball a bit. Easy enough stuff to work on and has some really good traits but in my mind needs a couple of years working on other stuff first. I.e learning some forward craft as well to be especially useful to clubs.
Yep. If we had 3-4 rookie picks I would have taken him if one of the latter ones, but if you’re not an athletic ruck you need to be a contested beast or going that way. He’s just not atm so needs a long-term approach. Has the right attitude though.

What are the general knocks on each of these guys?

no real knocks on any of them, i think its just preference, after around pick 45-50 most of the kids are players you hope come good moreso than you're confident have a good chance of making it (for example they have a couple of good traits but dont produce big numbers or are more potential over performance ect), so there ends up being a bunch of guys who couldve been given an opportunity that miss the draft every year.

I think the Saints would take Bowey, Heath, Highmore or Powell over Berry. And we may look at Angwin & Mitchell with later picks. Bellenden is an interesting one in the Rookie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quigley on our board rates him up there with Shannon Neale I believe.

All this talk on players missing and people still sleeping on Lachlan Carrigan. Could have genuinely pushed up draft boards with his upside
Cleary is one I thought would get a look as well

a few unlucky guys to miss

Harry Sharp - GWV
Sam Collins - Tas
Clayton Gay - Dand
Josh Green - GWS A
Blake Morris - Subi
Henry Walsh - Geel

Why is Morris unlucky to miss in your eyes? His exposure was dominating an U16 Champs at 17. He has below average foot skills, and nothing that sets him apart from other WAFL colts players, let alone the top kids from all around the country. Little to no impact in most games at colts level simply won't translate to WAFL League level, let alone the AFL. He's a taller, worse Kyle Stainsby (didn't make state 18s, won a league flag with Subi a year later, then a league B&F this year). If Stainsby never even got looked at, Morris shouldn't even be getting mentioned as a 'maybe'.

Melbourne Summary
Melbourne

#21 - Zavier Maher
#22 - Blake Coleman
#30 - Fraser Rosman
Rookie - Callum Park

My draft might not be one that really stands out. I didn't get any big names or sliders, if anything I picked players at the top of their ranges - ideally a Henry or Cook would have slipped through to me, but it wasn't to be. Coming in my goals were to add to the outside run, get some true speed in and add avenues to goal. And I think I achieved that.

There's also enough versatility in there to keep things interesting. Especially with Rosman who could easily be developed in all 3 areas of the ground. I think Maher is an underrated prospect. Archie Perkins is getting a lot of love for his combination of power, speed and midfield potential. But that's the strength of Maher already. While a forward line of Pickett and Coleman might be enough to get me to a Melbourne game - best small forwards they'd have seen since Fremantle legend Jeff Farmer played a few games for them.

Why is Morris unlucky to miss in your eyes? His exposure was dominating an U16 Champs at 17. He has below average foot skills, and nothing that sets him apart from other WAFL colts players, let alone the top kids from all around the country. Little to no impact in most games at colts level simply won't translate to WAFL League level, let alone the AFL. He's a taller, worse Kyle Stainsby (didn't make state 18s, won a league flag with Subi a year later, then a league B&F this year). If Stainsby never even got looked at, Morris shouldn't even be getting mentioned as a 'maybe'.

i liked what i saw from him in the u17s futures game last year and as you said he had a good u16s champs as an overager, i think he has potential as a rookie to develop, even before the futures game he had criticism from some WAFL footy watches, there was also a WAFL footy watcher last year that said O'Driscoll was the worst kick they had ever seen, so maybe you're right or not, but i trust my eye, maybe im wrong or not?

Brisbane Summary
Brisbane draft wrap.

# 28 Max Heath
# 46 Jake Bowey
# 50 Connor Stone
# Rookie Draft: Carter Michael (prelisted academy selection)

Brisbane’s draft philosophy is to draft talent with early picks, and look to fill any needs with later picks.

With my first pick, I didn’t really follow the clubs mantra, as I definitely drafted for need, and left some talented players on the board.

I believe there’s little chance of Brisbane passing on Blake Coleman if he’s bid on before our first pick.

I believe the club would look to trade out our second round pick for a future second round pick. Probably targeting one of Geelong’s future second round pick. Sending our pick 25 and a future 4th round pick to Geelong for their current 4th round pick and a future second round pick tied to GWS.

As for my selections in this draft.

In the short term we’re going to need a back or developing ruck, an outside mid with good skills and a strong contested game, and some pace off the back flank.

My personal opinion of where our first pick is situated, is that it’s likely just outside of what I view as the third tier of draft prospects. And this was reflected in the players I liked for our first pick all off the board 3 or 4 picks before our turn.

So I went with what I felt was our most pressing need, a young ruck.

I’ll be honest I haven’t seen Max Heath play, but I’ve read and heard reports from draft watchers and ex recruiters, that he’s the best genuine ruck this year.

If I didn’t go for Heath, I had three other players in mind for our first pick, Jake Bowey, Isiah Winder and Fraser Rosman.

I was banking on one of Bowey, Winder or Rosman falling to our second pick. I could genuinely see Brisbane selecting one of Winder or Bowey at our first pick, on a purely talent basis, and the likelihood of fitting the clubs playing style.

As I mentioned on the Lions board recently, Bowey is a slightly more talented version of Zorko, when Zorko was a draftee.

When I look at Bowey, I can see he has the frame to carry the same build as Zorko. He has elite speed and athleticism that smaller players must have in the modern game, and he’s probably ahead of Zorko in his skills.

Bowey would probably spend a year playing reserves to start with, building his body and stamina, before potentially competing for a spot on a wing, while being able to rotate forward. Eventually, if he develops as Zorko did, Bowey would spend more time on ball in the midfield.

I really hoped Winder would fall to our third pick, as I could see the club developing him along the same lines as Brandon Ah Chee. A defensive and intercepting orientated small defender, who can rebound the ball at pace, with quality delivery inside the forward 50.

Alas I just missed out.

I almost took Carter Michael with my third pick, but felt it would be smarter to draft from the open pool.

I have only read reports on Connor Stone. Again this was a pick about drafting talent others smarter than me rate highly. And from my limited knowledge, he appeared to be the best talent still on board

I would prefer for Stone to have a similar speed and athletic profile to Archie Perkins, but if he did, he’d probably be up there in first round conversations.

Finally I took Carter Michael in the rookie draft as an academy pre-selection.

Michael is very similar to Jaxon Prior, who we drafted last year. Both are tall, left footed half back flankers, who can play on a wing. Michael possibly has a stronger contested and defensive side to his game than Prior.

Saints Picks:

1st, Heath, Highmore or Powell
2nd, R.Angwin
3rd, S.Mitchell
4th, Zac Foot

Rookies:

1. Matt Allison
2. C.Ballenden seem's fine, if he is actually available?

St Kilda Summary
Saints review:
ND:
24. St Kilda - Sam Berry
Best available player. Helps Saints midfield. High volume, high % contested ball winner and has the skills and run to go with it. He's one of the best mids in the pool. Year 1 ready and if drafted by the Saints is good enough to become a regular in 2021.

55. St Kilda - Jackson Cardillo
Midfielder who with two years of solid development has the attributes to suggest he comes good. Likely to start career as a forward and become more a mid as an explosive, high % contested ball winner.

58. St Kilda - Max Pescud
A medium forward with a lot of talent. Give him a couple of years to realise it and as with Cardillo has the scope to come good and add some x-factor to the front half.

RD:
14. St Kilda - Connor Ballenden
A KPP for a team needing more able talls. He has had a few years of development but in his time with Brisbane has lacked the continuity of a regular position. He has been thrown around the ruck, key forward, a little as a key back but not enough. For me he's easily best suited as a key back and I'd be looking at him to be Jake Carlisle's successor as an interceptor who uses it nicely in defence.

Despite best available selections at each pick, I felt like the picks added complement St Kilda's list well and provide something different. I didn't however get any guys with any of my picks who I rated twice as high as where I selected them which is disappointing from my perspective and suggests draft boards of other selectors are more similar to my own than I'd like.

Could you give me some info on, R.Angwin, C.Gay, S.Mitchell. And do you think Zac Foot could get another go?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back