2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

As someone who was born and bred in Western Sydney, I wholeheartedly agree!

GWS' effort and investment into the area has been poor since 2014.
Back when my son was playing (late nineties) there was Campbelltown, Pennant Hills and not much else if memory serves out west. He played in the St George district which stretched from Bankstown to Heathcote, Menai to Ramsgate, Miranda and was fairly strong.
Been any improvement?

Back when my son was playing (late nineties) there was Campbelltown, Pennant Hills and not much else if memory serves out west. He played in the St George district which stretched from Bankstown to Heathcote, Menai to Ramsgate, Miranda and was fairly strong.
Been any improvement?

There are a few more clubs out west now, but it seems since COVID, playing numbers are falling off a bit, especially in the seniors. East Coast used to be far too strong, but now they've got less numbers and bigger gaps between their teams. E.g. one team in Div 5, the next in Div 2 and then Reserves then Prems. A few injuries in the Prems and the rest of the club struggles as players who aren't up to the standard, are picked two/three division's above where they play.

I know in 2009 when I stopped in the juniors, we (Hills, now Parramatta, Lions) were in a competition with the likes of Camden, Blue Mountains and various other clubs within a 60-90 minute radius. It was the same in the age groups above like U16's, but due to lack of numbers, a couple of teams who were nearby to each other merged for this age group.

I can't speak for the junior clubs side of things on how it stands today, but I know when I was last involved with AFL NSW/ACT + GWS in 2018, junior club numbers in the West seemed to be increasing. Kids could barely name one GWS player, too, and this was when GWS were supposed to be doing a lot of school/club visits with players. And when they did, they sent their big names to well-established junior clubs like Baulkham Hills, while struggling clubs in the proper west like Penrith and Blue Mountains got rookies who hadn't even played a game yet. From my point of view, they couldn't care less about the struggling clubs. Facilities at these clubs, Penrith especially, are barely passable.

And for a lot of those kids out west in lower socioeconomic areas, it's tough to commit to the Academy if they are selected. It can be expensive and costly for the families to go back and forth 2-3 nights a week, as well as the weekends.

How is the progress of Max King going as i know he is a bottom ager but thought given his numbers in academy testing that he would potentially get into the allies as an Under ager?

How is the progress of Max King going as i know he is a bottom ager but thought given his numbers in academy testing that he would potentially get into the allies as an Under ager?
He copped a knock in the Brisbane trial game a couple of months ago, but haven't heard anything since about his injury or progress. He was playing pretty well in the Summer Series games and the one he was injured in.

Maybe he gets a chance for the later 4th U18's game, given it's a month after the 3rd

He copped a knock in the Brisbane trial game a couple of months ago, but haven't heard anything since about his injury or progress. He was playing pretty well in the Summer Series games and the one he was injured in.

Maybe he gets a chance for the later 4th U18's game, given it's a month after the 3rd
I have always seen him as the #1 academy guy for 2025. Is that opinion still outdated or do you reckon he is just not being noticed/selected because of little injuries and niggles. Isn't he also projected to grow to like 195-96cm and be an mid/for hybrid?

There are a few more clubs out west now, but it seems since COVID, playing numbers are falling off a bit, especially in the seniors. East Coast used to be far too strong, but now they've got less numbers and bigger gaps between their teams. E.g. one team in Div 5, the next in Div 2 and then Reserves then Prems. A few injuries in the Prems and the rest of the club struggles as players who aren't up to the standard, are picked two/three division's above where they play.

I know in 2009 when I stopped in the juniors, we (Hills, now Parramatta, Lions) were in a competition with the likes of Camden, Blue Mountains and various other clubs within a 60-90 minute radius. It was the same in the age groups above like U16's, but due to lack of numbers, a couple of teams who were nearby to each other merged for this age group.

I can't speak for the junior clubs side of things on how it stands today, but I know when I was last involved with AFL NSW/ACT + GWS in 2018, junior club numbers in the West seemed to be increasing. Kids could barely name one GWS player, too, and this was when GWS were supposed to be doing a lot of school/club visits with players. And when they did, they sent their big names to well-established junior clubs like Baulkham Hills, while struggling clubs in the proper west like Penrith and Blue Mountains got rookies who hadn't even played a game yet. From my point of view, they couldn't care less about the struggling clubs. Facilities at these clubs, Penrith especially, are barely passable.

And for a lot of those kids out west in lower socioeconomic areas, it's tough to commit to the Academy if they are selected. It can be expensive and costly for the families to go back and forth 2-3 nights a week, as well as the weekends.
Thanks. We got good visitors at Wests from the Swans like Mickey O, Cresser and Saddington. Stafford came to a game at Rozelle with a couple of other players to watch his nephew play. The connection was good. No idea if they still do that sort of thing. The kids loved the Swans and one from that team ended up with a premiership with us 7 years later. Paul Bevan. He's copped some stick on this forum but one of the finest young men ever.

Thanks. We got good visitors at Wests from the Swans like Mickey O, Cresser and Saddington. Stafford came to a game at Rozelle with a couple of other players to watch his nephew play. The connection was good. No idea if they still do that sort of thing. The kids loved the Swans and one from that team ended up with a premiership with us 7 years later. Paul Bevan. He's copped some stick on this forum but one of the finest young men ever.

Love that! Was lucky enough to have Paul and a couple others come out to a training session around 2004/2005. Unbeknownst to him, his grandma turned up to say hello while he was there. :) One of the more underrated local Swans.

Seems like the Swans very much still do that, especially on the pre-season camps.

I have always seen him as the #1 academy guy for 2025. Is that opinion still outdated or do you reckon he is just not being noticed/selected because of little injuries and niggles. Isn't he also projected to grow to like 195-96cm and be an mid/for hybrid?
At this stage (and just from what I've seen) is that Carmichael seems to have moved ahead in the '25 rankings. BUT I think once he's back in action, that may change again. If he was fit, he'd be in the Allies somewhere.

Let's see if he makes it back for the last Coates League game on Saturday

At this stage (and just from what I've seen) is that Carmichael seems to have moved ahead in the '25 rankings. BUT I think once he's back in action, that may change again. If he was fit, he'd be in the Allies somewhere.

Let's see if he makes it back for the last Coates League game on Saturday
Yep it seems like Carmichael is a more known product. Whereas we don't know as much out of King because of the injuries but if what the results from preseason testing come true. King could honestly be game breaking for us if he is a 196cm on baller but feel like he is more likely to pan out as a more mobile Key Forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love that! Was lucky enough to have Paul and a couple others come out to a training session around 2004/2005. Unbeknownst to him, his grandma turned up to say hello while he was there. :) One of the more underrated local Swans.

Seems like the Swans very much still do that, especially on the pre-season camps.
My young bloke was in the U12 when Paul and young Stafford were U14. 1998. They were a good bunch but not deep enough to take it out. My bloke grew sideways and switched to Rugby. Good times.

At the risk of exposing my age, I played in the very first ever Aussie Rules team for Baulkham Hills (U/13s), so to see you refer to it as "well-established" warms my frozen heart. Having said that, I find it sad that the whole of the Hills District hasn't produced anyone as it used to be a bit of a production line at one stage.

BREAKDOWN​

AFL Academy members: 7
Over-agers (2005-born): 2
Top-agers (2006-born): 23
Bottom-agers (2007-born): 6

BY STATE/TERRITORY:
NSW-ACT: 11

NT: 4
QLD: 11
TAS: 5

BY CLUB:
Bendigo Pioneers: 1