2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

04MAR23: GWS v Swans U16 & U18 Academy matches
Last edited:

Ok first game watched.

Giants 89
Swans 32

From my POV:
Roberts - bit of an almost game did a few nice things but over all was OK. Looks too slight to play in mids at the moment. Maybe a flank at next level
Hitchens - Stand out for swans. racked up possessions and neat by hand and foot. Loves a contest.
Bohan - next best plays off of a HBF. Hard at it and very good disposal by foot. Moved very well and had good evasion
Loebel - Link man, not a lot of feed for our forward line and competed well. Not sure what he will be but will watch
Robin - Stay at home KPF. Marks and leads well. Ended game with two majors but like rest of fwd line in and out
Este and Ryan were our KPBs and did ok. Were largely outsized by the GWS fwd line. Compete well in air but GWS had the better of both
Roy - grew as the game went in and got more possessions as a mid.
Williams looked a real underager but had some nice plays - one to watch in future

Overall, sloppy with the ball overall but first hit out

Actual under 18s is near ikpossible to watch due to the stop start. Do not think I was able to see one clearance over two quarters

Tye Garner looked very good with 3 or 4 goals to the half
I liked Webster's half. Very good at reading the play
Cleary did not look impressive but could have been... no idea due to the footage.
Rider looked to be getting into it nicely with a goal.
Hawkings spend a bit of time up forward. As did Lugsdin and Cabor which was interesting position for those players

Actual under 18s is near ikpossible to watch due to the stop start. Do not think I was able to see one clearance over two quarters

Tye Garner looked very good with 3 or 4 goals to the half
I liked Webster's half. Very good at reading the play
Cleary did not look impressive but could have been... no idea due to the footage.
Rider looked to be getting into it nicely with a goal.
Hawkings spend a bit of time up forward. As did Lugsdin and Cabor which was interesting position for those players
Yeah, its a shocker. Which is a pity as its the main game most would be interested in.

Marty Mattner now senior coach at Sturt in the SANFL on 3 former Academy players;
“And even some of the young kids we got from Sydney - Angus Anderson, Liam Puncher and Luke Giacometti.....have all been really good.

Good to see former Academy players not 'lost' to the game and prepared to give it a go in the SANFL.

Also nice reminder to the rest of the footy world that the Academy is more than just a feeder program for the Swans.

Last edited:
Glad to see the stop start issues where not just on my end. I tried my best to watch what I could and noted down some players to keep an eye on and try and research.
I had already heard about Cleary & Cabor but what can't anyone tell me about,
Kirk
Andreacchio
Lugsdin
Podomore-Taylor
And very much so
Gander!!

Glad to see the stop start issues where not just on my end. I tried my best to watch what I could and noted down some players to keep an eye on and try and research.
I had already heard about Cleary & Cabor but what can't anyone tell me about,
Kirk
Andreacchio
Lugsdin
Podomore-Taylor
And very much so
Gander!!
Kirk - overager with our VFL side IIRC...
Andreacchio - unsure
Lugsdin - eligible this year, position is more inside mid
Podomore-Taylor - haven't really tracked
Gander - overager and mercurial. Needs to be more consistent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andreacchio - unsure
Thanks heaps mate

Andreacchio - unsure

Do you think Gander has put on some size? For me he looked taller and stronger and less likely to be outbodied. I think the consistency being looked for may come this year. He will be fun to watch.

Do you think Gander has put on some size? For me he looked taller and stronger and less likely to be outbodied. I think the consistency being looked for may come this year. He will be fun to watch.

Definitely looked a bit bigger and subsequently more balanced.

Was very up and down and showed flashes in games. Hopefully can put it all together

Definitely looked a bit bigger and subsequently more balanced.

Was very up and down and showed flashes in games. Hopefully can put it all together
Yep, he's defs gotten bigger. I'm finding the Swans if they don't recruit them straight out of the academy play them in the VFL. This leads to a situation like Will Edwards who we've now recruited as a Cat B rookie.

So they give them a bit more time to mature and see what happens.

Yep, he's defs gotten bigger. I'm finding the Swans if they don't recruit them straight out of the academy play them in the VFL. This leads to a situation like Will Edwards who we've now recruited as a Cat B rookie.

So they give them a bit more time to mature and see what happens.

After watching Will play just one VFL game, I became an instant rusted on fan. Haha. It was not as if he played all that well. It was how he threw himself into the contests.

Last year Gander could pull off surprises showing good iq- reading the flight of the ball or its bounce better than others. I thought he was a talented but unremarkable kid. He looks a lot different this year and I hope, like Will last year, he gets a crack in the VFL for a couple of games.

After watching Will play just one VFL game, I became an instant rusted on fan. Haha. It was not as if he played all that well. It was how he threw himself into the contests.

Last year Gander could pull off surprises showing good iq- reading the flight of the ball or its bounce better than others. I thought he was a talented but unremarkable kid. He looks a lot different this year and I hope, like Will last year, he gets a crack in the VFL for a couple of games.
Yeah, I think we were both on the Edwards train rather early. Hope he's able to make a go of it.

12MAR23: Swans vs Giants Academy Matches at Blacktown
Academy Game kicking off today and tomorrow at Blacktown

Boys Sunday 12th March

Streaming link and Team sheets can be found below:

For me, players of interest this game:

u18 first match:
16. Bowd 183cm - Draft eligible 2024
23 Bohan 181.5cm Draft eligible 2024
30. Cochran 195cm draft eligible 2024
36. Loebel 190cm draft eligible 2024

u18s second match:
7. Cabor 181cm
12. Rider 188cm
23. Gander 194cm - overager
25. Lugsdin 178cm
27. Cleary - 183cm
29. Hawkins 189cm- underager
34. Webster 192.5cm

Hawkins is an interesting one as usually plays inside mid but been pushed up the ground into a forward role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back