2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Our U16 teams will also be in action, with both boys and girls teams travelling to Brisbane to face the Lions Academy in the Northern Academy Series.

It’s a great opportunity for our U16 squads to play the Brisbane Lions and there will be plenty of exciting, young on display for both sides as we look for future players progressing through the Academy pathway.

The girls game starts Sunday at 10.15am

Love the playing list by number and surname

Live Stream:

Last edited:

U16 Girls National Championship
DATEMATCHVENUELOCAL TIME
Tue April 11GC SUNS Academy vs QBE Sydney Swans AcademyBond University, QLD10:00am
Teams https://resources.sydneyswans.com.a...-09e38b1c1052/2023-AFL-U16-Girls-SYD-v-GC.pdf

GCS 86 beat Swans 20

U16 Girls National Championship
Fri April 14QBE Sydney Swans Academy vs GWS Giants AcademyBlacktown ISP, NSW12:00pm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Emma Juneja and Ella Parker have been named among the best U17 female footballers across the country to play at Frankston's Kinetic Stadium on Saturday, September 2 from 10:30am.

The match will be played prior to the 2023 NAB AFLW Round 1 clash between Hawthorn and Essendon.
match will be broadcast live and free at www.afl.com.au/aflw and on the AFLW app.

Does anyone know whether there are academy priority rights in place?

I know the AFLW draft works a bit differently to the AFL draft in that it is part state based. So if any graduates of our academy want to play for the Swans (and have an indication from the club they are likely to be picked up) they can nominate for NSW rather National. But can the Swans or Giants then swoop in and choose each others academy graduates?

Does anyone know whether there are academy priority rights in place?

I know the AFLW draft works a bit differently to the AFL draft in that it is part state based. So if any graduates of our academy want to play for the Swans (and have an indication from the club they are likely to be picked up) they can nominate for NSW rather National. But can the Swans or Giants then swoop in and choose each others academy graduates?
Hi Liz, my understanding is as follows:
  • First off - still no points system for academy players
  • Can nominate NSW or National Draft pool
  • A draft prospect who nominates for the ‘national draft pool’ can be drafted by any of the 18 AFLW clubs.
  • A player who nominates for their home-state draft pool can be selected by a club in their home state. Swans opted to not have exclusive nomination zones within the state for NSW on entry, so it's all open, whereas Queensland's can essentially nominate their club of choice.

So yeah, if GWS finish below us on the ladder they can select an academy player. I've not seen anything to state otherwise.

Last edited:
Hi Liz, my understanding is as follows:
  • First off - still no points system for academy players
  • Can nominate NSW or National Draft pool
  • A draft prospect who nominates for the ‘national draft pool’ can be drafted by any of the 18 AFLW clubs.
  • A player who nominates for their home-state draft pool can be selected by a club in their home state. Swans opted to not have exclusive nomination zones within the state for NSW on entry, so it's all open, whereas Queensland's can essentially nominate their club of choice.

So yeah, if GWS finish below us on the ladder they can select an academy player. I've not seen anything to state otherwise.
And vice versa?

And vice versa?
Yes, if Swans finish below GWS this means we are ahead on the the Draft and can bid on any GWS academy player who has nominated NSW, neither team can match because there is no points system or academy preferences built into the draft at this stage.

Yes, if GWS finish below us this means they are ahead on the the Draft - then they can bid on any Swans academy player who has nominated NSW, we cannot match because there is no points system or academy preferences built into the draft at this stage.
I meant if we finish below them we can bid on their academy kids?

I asked the same question on another forum and one poster identified that we do have short term priority rights to some graduates as part of concessions given to the last round of expansion clubs.

I asked the same question on another forum and one poster identified that we do have short term priority rights to some graduates as part of concessions given to the last round of expansion clubs.

Right, got it. I thought you were referring to the bidding system between GWS & Swans for academy players.

Right, got it. I thought you were referring to the bidding system between GWS & Swans for academy players.
I was, originally. But once someone had pointed this concession to me I thought I'd share since it addresses the same question, albeit short term only.

Longer term, a AFLM-style bidding system wouldn't work while we have the hotpotch of state and national drafts. The picks each club is awarded have different values depending on the pool of players available to them to draft. Once we move to a truly national draft it might be possible to replicate.

For father-daughter eligible draftees there's no bidding system. They can just be added to the relevant club's list. I guess we might see a similar concession extended to academies if it can be done in an equitable way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back