One day team in tri-series???

Remove this Banner Ad

IMHO, the real head scratcher is David Hussey. Has an ODI average of 31, which is partly inflated by his single century against Scotland. I know he had a reasonable BBL, so I don't mind seeing him the T20 squad. But I thought the one-day side was all about the World Cup. Surely a guy who turns 35 this year is unlikely to be there for the 2015 World Cup. I guess the same thing can be said about Ponting and M.Hussey.

What's going on?

David Hussey for some reason has never really lit international cricket up. I guess they are just hoping like hell that he comes good, but he's had a lot of chances.

He's got a a better record than Steve Smith, I'll give them that. It's such a relief to have a selector say about Smith 'HE NEEDS TO DO MORE'. And so say all of us.

David Hussey for some reason has never really lit international cricket up. I guess they are just hoping like hell that he comes good, but he's had a lot of chances.

He's got a a better record than Steve Smith, I'll give them that. It's such a relief to have a selector say about Smith 'HE NEEDS TO DO MORE'. And so say all of us.

Heh. +1

I think they value his bowling as well (fair enough, he's quite useful), which is what gets him picked so regularly, but if you're going to pick him as an all-rounder than use him as such...on average he bowls less than 3 overs a game.

You'd have to think his position is getting more tenuous the older he gets though, so it will be interesting to see who they think will be the next spin-bowling all rounder (given the Steve Smith experiment is on hold, at least for now...)

While I'm a big fan of David Hussey, I pretty much figured he wouldn't play ODI cricket again (and he may not, as he's only in the squad) after they left him out of the ODI's in Sth Africa. So while not at all disappointed to see him in the squad, I was awfully surprised to see him named, especially since, as others have noted, we already have Clarke, Punter and Mussey in there for experience. I just figured he would have had a line put through his name, like Hodge had previously.
I thought Duss was very stiff to have not played more in the World Cup last year, though, as he had been in good form in the months prior (previous scores were 14, 60, 38, 34, 28, 68*, with wickets thrown in), but he then lost his place when Mike came back from injury at the start of the tournament. I thought it was a massive blue that they left Duss out and stuck with White, who was clearly out of form by that stage (especially considering Dussey also bowls).
Finally they brought Duss back in for the WC quarter final, against India (leaving Smith out) and he showed what he could have been doing all tournament, batting well and making our third highest score of the match (38 not out), at a strike rate of 146 and getting 1 for 19, at a terrific econ rate of 3.8.
He then got a 46 in his last ODI, against Sri Lanka, late last year, so, considering he's in good current form (just got "player of the series", in the BBL) and did perfectly well in ODI's last year (including 11 wickets in the 12 innings he bowled, at 21), I'm not disappointed that he's been named here, although, as I said, I was surprised.
So basically, you could easily argue that he is actually worthy of getting a spot in the side and I have no problem with that, especially if they want to send a message to Smith and co. (like Maxwell, when he's fit) that they need to do more to be able to get a game. :thumbsu:

Was probably the right move to leave out Shaun Marsh, needs form back badly and the Indians seem to have figured him right out.

Forrest is a very weird selection, would make more sense if him and George Bailey swap places!

Bowling looks a bit mediocre, but hopefully only temporary.

One issue is that he's often coming in down the middle order where you don't get many opportunities to build a big innings. I wouldn't say an average of 31 is terrible for a batsman who comes in in those situations.

Peter Forrest is the best Australia can come up with? Lol what a boring spud he is.
s**t Average combined with a Pathetic SR, sounds like a good combo.

Finch and Ferguson have more talent in their little fingers and would excel on the big stage!
Not to mention they are actually nice to watch.
Hopefully for Channel 9, Forrest doesn't last to long at the crease, otherwise their ratings will take a fair hit.

In that time frame he has played about 20 games.

The last 19/20 games from Ronchi has yielded his runs at 41 and Marcus North at 50.5 and Klinger at 48 Should we rush these guys into the side as well?
Actually, he has played 50+ games in that period.. How in 4 and a half years would he have only played 20 games? Man you are ignorant.

Peter Forrest is the best Australia can come up with? Lol what a boring spud he is.
s**t Average combined with a Pathetic SR, sounds like a good combo.

Finch and Ferguson have more talent in their little fingers and would excel on the big stage!
Not to mention they are actually nice to watch.
Hopefully for Channel 9, Forrest doesn't last to long at the crease, otherwise their ratings will take a fair hit.
Surely he won't play? I mean, seriously, who is he going to keep out of a spot in that side? He would be clearly last picked in that squad, if picked on merit. Hopefully they've just picked him to give him a taste of spending some time with the national side. This isn't the NAB Cup. (Unless they plan on resting Punter or Huss at some stage.)

And if we are serious about being number 1 in T20 then where is Mike Hussey, Dirk Nannes? Both of them should walk into our best 11.
Looks like a line has been drawn through Dirk's name and they reckon Huss is being "rested" for these two T20's v India. Apparently he's going to be playing the T20's in the West Indies.

I guess the selectors misinterpreted when people were saying they can't see the Forrest from the trees

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must be an assessment to see whether he is worth taking to the Windies or not. Just, must be.

Forrest's selection doesn't feel me with great confidence about the future of Australia's batting line up.

He's 26 years old (which age-wise is fine) and, while he's having a very good shield season to date, his career first class average is 36. His domestic one day record is even worse (avg 26, SR of 61)*, so like others, I assume his selection in the one day squad, is all about introducing him to the limelight and to some of his colleagues for the upcoming tour of the Windes.

His first class record is strangely similar to that of Marsh, Cowan and Ferguson in that none of them average even 40. In our golden era, a record like this wouldn't have got them within cooee of the test team.

Still, hopefully for at least a couple of them something has 'clicked' and they make a fool of me. If not, Australia may really struggle once Ponting and Hussey say their final goodbyes.

*Oddly, Khawaja who the selectors seem to have put in the 'not a limited overs player category' averages 39 at a SR of 78 in his 15 domestic one day games.

Early contender for post of the year.

I am sorry, but your lovechild Callum has not done enough, this is talking about all forms, did nothing in the Big Bash which saw him dropped at one stage, patchy at best in the Shield, and a par Ryobi Cup season. Needs more consistency, and make Callum work for his spot.

I am sorry, but your lovechild Callum has not done enough, this is talking about all forms, did nothing in the Big Bash which saw him dropped at one stage, patchy at best in the Shield, and a par Ryobi Cup season. Needs more consistency, and make Callum work for his spot.

Just because you're paraphrasing John Inverarity, it doesn't mean you're right.

It's already been posted over and over, but he hasn't had a 'par Ryobi Cup season' - at least scores of 53, 110*, 15, 12, 40 and 56* don't suggest that to me. He found form in his last two Shield games, and who cares about a poor Big Bash? Apparently the selectors don't, if their captain is anything to go by.

Lovechild? I'm younger than him..

Also, par Ryobi cup season? So everyone has to average 70 now and that is only par?

Here is a little ditty for you.. Big Bash and Shield form means jack all for One Day form. Callum has proven this. He's been in great form in the short format and crap until his last game in the Shield.

I cannot fathom why people think you need to be the leading run scorer in every competition to be good at one part of the sport. Last time I checked, Forrest is crap at ODD, but he is in the frame for a test spot.

Just because you're paraphrasing John Inverarity, it doesn't mean you're right.

It's already been posted over and over, but he hasn't had a 'par Ryobi Cup season' - at least scores of 53, 110*, 15, 12, 40 and 56* don't suggest that to me. He found form in his last two Shield games, and who cares about a poor Big Bash? Apparently the selectors don't, if their captain is anything to go by.
No to mention that the 40 he got against QLD was him getting out with 1 run needed to win and 12 overs to do it in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back