Prediction One season too many - Now 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawkins is in massive decline.

Hawkins was necessary to keep going because neale isnt quite ready and its almost impossible to trade in quality kpf cheap.

But stanley and duncan and tuohy all should have retired last year.

Just quietly, I don’t think the Cats are a huge chance of a flag. Think they will slide to the bottom of the 8, who knows, maybe even out of it.

No chance.

May is a tough month but after that we have a stack of games at home against non finals teams.
We will easily win enough games to make top 8/4 i just dont think we will win the flag as our midfield isnt good enough.

Hawkins was necessary to keep going because neale isnt quite ready and its almost impossible to trade in quality kpf cheap.

But stanley and duncan and tuohy all should have retired last year.
Neale was 50/50 but he's kicked 22 goals in his last 9 vfl outings and 3 in his only afl match this year. Most of his vfl goals were for an absolutely terrible bankers outfit last year too.

Nurse hawk to the record, sure, he's earned that. But if we're picking on merit Neale is ahead of him surely

Neale was 50/50 but he's kicked 22 goals in his last 9 vfl outings and 3 in his only afl match this year. Most of his vfl goals were for an absolutely terrible bankers outfit last year too.

Nurse hawk to the record, sure, he's earned that. But if we're picking on merit Neale is ahead of him surely

Maybe. Neale has been up and down.
This isnt like 2011 because hawkins has been far better than mooney was and in 11 we had a clear absolute gun in pods and a basically no1 pick in hawkins there. Neale isnt at that level.

He might tip hawk out by finals but its a 50/50 call and i can see why we kept hawk on the list.

Stanley on the other hand is ridiculous.

Hawkins’ movement isn’t any concern for those watching him in recent years. What’s concerning is that he’s getting clear opportunities to take possession and he can’t do it. He’s never produced huge numbers of touches anyway so seeing him have 7-8-9 possessions isn’t anything startling but watching him have a ball in front of him and it go straight through his hands is more a sign of decline than any lack of movement

This isnt like 2011 because hawkins has been far better than mooney was and in 11 we had a clear absolute gun in pods and a basically no1 pick in hawkins there. Neale isnt at that level.

He might tip hawk out by finals but its a 50/50 call and i can see why we kept hawk on the list.

Statistically I am not sure that is true

1715387450918.png

We need like 4-5 more wins to make the 8 and still have games fixture against the bottom 5 plus gettable games at home.
Yeah, the great start should probably mean they can’t miss the 8. But just my opinion that this year is the abnormality, not last year. Losing to an inconsistent Port at their fortress would be the first warning sign. Think they will slide and aren’t in the mix for the flag. Again, just my opinion.

Neale doesn't have to be the next big thing to be the best option going forward

Yeah, the great start should probably mean they can’t miss the 8. But just my opinion that this year is the abnormality, not last year. Losing to an inconsistent Port at their fortress would be the first warning sign. Think they will slide and aren’t in the mix for the flag. Again, just my opinion.
Don't think anyone really thought we were on the mix for a flag did they? This year is a baton pass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only Geelong fans can answer that one as only you guys know the depth underneath him.
I don't agree with it. I think Neale would also demand a defender. Defenders would play looser on him sure but that cuts both ways when Neale is a track and field athlete. I think plenty of defenders would underestimate him and get lost and it would fit that back half rebounding run we are trying to score from

I don't agree with it. I think Neale would also demand a defender. Defenders would play looser on him sure but that cuts both ways when Neale is a track and field athlete. I think plenty of defenders would underestimate him and get lost and it would fit that back half rebounding run we are trying to score from

Out of interest how much are defenders running off Hawkins right now? Is he able to provide defensive pressure?

Out of interest how much are defenders running off Hawkins right now? Is he able to provide defensive pressure?
Well Sav wasn't very good but that's more about Sav than Hawk. Brissy game the weather took out all the KP players pretty much. But against good defenders:

May 25 disposals 13 marks
Weitering 19 disposals 12 marks

Both would have been in the bests. If Neales direct opponent did that he'd be delisted.

It hurts me to name him as my favourite Freo player of the past decade...

Michael Walters. When he gets it he's still skilled but seems to have lost the ability to make play happen or get the ball for himself. The most worrying thing is he's contracted until the end of 2025!

Given all our big forwards are out injured, who would we have in the team instead of Gunston?
We’ve absolutely needed him, and he’s been great for Calsher and others, but he looks cooked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back