Operation 2018 afl draft

Remove this Banner Ad

If you left the footage of Mitch Crowden with the view that his kicking could be better then that piece of footage is not indicative of his kicking across his whole junior/senior football. Kicking is honestly one of his defining points, he is a very good and penetrating kick.

I'm sure LC40 who has seen a lot more of him than I will back me up on that and any others that regularly attend SANFL games. Mitch's size/height and his already strong well developed physique is probably why a lot of recruiters would have ??? marks on his potential upside.

Current indications are he'll go late in the ND or more likely the rookie draft if one of the SA clubs are keen....could even go undrafted.

Personally I think the only certain SA draftees in this draft are Darcy Fogarty, Jordan Houlahan, Charlie Ballard, Callum Coleman-Jones, Andrew McPherson and Jackson Edwards. I'd like us to rookie Norwood's ball magnet Stefan Giro if he doesn't get taken in the National Draft, just one of those natural footballers that keeps finding the pill.
Yep, I didnt mean to imply his kicking was terrible.

And again if we take him great if we dont no biggie. Just the Caleb Daniels feel. Happy for the 77 or RD

If you left the footage of Mitch Crowden with the view that his kicking could be better then that piece of footage is not indicative of his kicking across his whole junior/senior football career. Kicking is honestly one of his defining points, he is a very good and penetrating kick.

I'm sure LC40 who has seen a lot more of him than I will back me up on that and any others that regularly attend SANFL games. Mitch's size/height and his already strong well developed physique is probably why a lot of recruiters would have ??? marks on his potential upside.

Current indications are he'll go late in the ND or more likely the rookie draft if one of the SA clubs are keen....could even go undrafted.

Personally I think the only certain SA draftees in this draft are Darcy Fogarty, Jordan Houlahan, Charlie Ballard, Callum Coleman-Jones, Andrew McPherson and Jackson Edwards. I'd like us to rookie Norwood's ball magnet Stefan Giro if he doesn't get taken in the National Draft, just one of those natural footballers that keeps finding the pill.

You're right Bick's I feel one of his strengths is his kicking. Very much like Mitch Greig can kick a very quick stab pass but in normal field play his penetration is a standout. Kicks the ball that extra distance that most players don't and can break a line. I really like his in close work, he's hard to bring down in a tackle and the kid never gives up.He would add some grunt and real physical presence in the side. He maybe small but he a solid unit.
With so few picks this year in the main draft I now tend to agree with you,if he gets to us it will be in the rookie draft. I'm hoping a couple those lads you mentioned are around when our second pick is called. If Houlahan or McPherson could slip to us I would jump out my seat if their name was called.

You're right Bick's I feel one of his strengths is his kicking. Very much like Mitch Greig can kick a very quick stab pass but in normal field play his penetration is a standout. Kicks the ball that extra distance that most players don't and can break a line. I really like his in close work, he's hard to bring down in a tackle and the kid never gives up.He would add some grunt and real physical presence in the side. He maybe small but he a solid unit.
With so few picks this year in the main draft I now tend to agree with you,if he gets to us it will be in the rookie draft. I'm hoping a couple those lads you mentioned are around when our second pick is called. If Houlahan or McPherson could slip to us I would jump out my seat if their name was called.
I was going to add this was my concern . It seemed ( to me) he wanted distance over accuracy at times. As you say if it breaks a line its all good, I wonder how that will go in an AFL defense?

Happy to be proven wrong and won't bust a valve if we draft him, but I get the feeling with Crowden that he'll be he next Battersby/Grigg/Wigg. Likely gun SANFL player, but destined to be an "almost" at AFL level.

Happy to be proven wrong and won't bust a valve if we draft him, but I get the feeling with Crowden that he'll be he next Battersby/Grigg/Wigg. Likely gun SANFL player, but destined to be an "almost" at AFL level.
Not the worst risk to take if you're picking 77+ on him. Apparently North Melbourne and Fremantle are looking at him too.

I tend to disagree, if you care to check the SA Combine testing he has all the aforementioned players well and truly covered with his outstanding athletic profile.. Numbers like Mitch's the 3 you mentioned could only dream about athletically....speed wise Mitch is in another stratosphere altogether to those 3 plodders.

2017 STATE COMBINE RESULTS

20m Sprint
Mitch Crowden (Sturt) 2.92 seconds

Josh Smithson (West) 2.92
Dom Barry (Glenelg) 2.93
Stefan Giro (Norwood) 2.93
Liam Denton (Glenelg) 2.97

Standing Vertical Jump
Mitch Crowden (Sturt) 81cm

Brodie Carroll (Norwood) 74cm
Josh Smithson (West) 73cm
Stefan Giro (Norwood) 73cm
Bryce Denham (North) 73cm
Brandon Zerk-Thatcher (Sturt) 73cm

Running Vertical Jump – Right Hand
Brandon Zerk-Thatcher (Sturt) 95cm
Mitch Crowden (Sturt) 91cm
Brodie Carroll (Norwood) 87cm
Stefan Giro (Norwood) 85cm
Oscar Chapman (North) 84cm

Running Vertical Jump – Left Hand
Jake Weidemann (Eagles) 90cm
Mitch Crowden (Sturt) 89cm
Josh Smithson (West) 88cm
Brandon Zerk-Thatcher (Sturt) 87cm
Bryce Denham (North) 85cm

Agility Test
Brodie Carroll (Norwood) 7.92 seconds
Dom Barry (Glenelg) 8.06
Josh Smithson (West) 8.14
Stefan Giro (Norwood) 8.21
Mitch Crowden (Sturt) 8.26
Harry Petty (Norwood) 8.29

Running Yo-Yo Test
Stefan Giro (Norwood) Level 22.3
Brodie Carroll (Norwood) Level 21.6
Jake Weidemann (Eagles) Level 21.6
Mitch Crowden (Sturt) Level 21.3
Harry Petty (Norwood) Level 21.2
Jackson Edwards (Glenelg) Level 21.1

National Combine results.......Mitch Crowden inserted in red..

Smartspeed 20-metre sprint

Jack Petruccelle - 2.87 seconds
Kane Farrell - 2.90
Aiden Bonar - 2.90
Ben Miller - 2.91
Nick Coffield - 2.91
Mitch Crowden - 2.92
Ben Paton - 2.95
Brent Daniels - 2.95
Stefan Okunbar - 2.95
Jaidyn Stephenson - 2.95
Nicholas Shipley - 2.97

Smartspeed agility test
Kane Farrell - 8.10 seconds
Ben Miller - 8.10
Brent Daniels - 8.11
Trent Mynott - 8.20
Nathan Kreuger - 8.21
Aaron Naughton - 8.22
Mitch Crowden - 8.26
Mitchell Podhajski - 8.26
Oscar Allen - 8.27
Stefan Okunbar - 8.29
Matthew Ling - 8.30
Callan England - 8.30
Aiden Bonar - 8.30
Andrew Brayshaw - 8.30

Standing vertical jump
Aiden Bonar - 89cm
Kyron Hayden - 82cm
Mitch Crowden - 81cm
Ben Paton - 80cm
Harrison Jones - 79cm
Jordan Houlahan - 77cm
Jordan Johnston - 75cm
Jack Petruccelle - 74cm
Noah Balta - 74cm
Adam Sambono - 73cm
Hayden McLean - 73cm

Running vertical jump
Kyron Hayden - 103cm
Ben Paton - 99cm
Ryley Stoddart - 96cm
Kane Farrell - 95cm
Jordan Houlahan - 95cm
Hayden McLean - 92cm
Mitch Crowden - 91cm
Noah Balta - 89cm
Harrison Jones - 88cm
Oscar Allen - 88cm
Tom McCartin - 88cm
Matthew Day - 87cm
Nathan Kreuger - 87cm

Yo-Yo test
Andrew Brayshaw - 22.4 level
Dylan Moore - 22.3
Matthew Ling - 21.8
Alex Martini - 21.8
Aaron Naughton - 21.8
Jaidyn Stephenson - 21.8
Callan England - 21.6
Nicholas Shipley - 21.6
Brent Daniels - 21.5
Ethan Floyd - 21.5
Tom McCartin - 21.5
Cillian McDaid - 21.5
Gryan Miers - 21.5
Mitch Crowden - 21.3

Compared to the National Draft Combine results Crowden is top 10 or close to it in all athletic tests....to put it bluntly Mitch is more worthy of spot on our list than Jackson Edwards. Athletically, speed/acceleration wise and kicking he is far superior to Jackson and one could easily argue his football performance on field has been as good or better than that of Edwards.

Last edited:
saw mitch crowden get 70 possessions in a game of school football once.. can see him being an absolute steal

The more I look at the 2018 draft, the more I believe it could turn out to be a defining moment in Adelaide's history. There is going to be some absolutely elite SA talent available and if we decide to, and are prepared to make some really hard decisions, then we could set ourselves up for the next 10 years. Contrary to what most people here are saying, it's not the top end talent but the depth of the 2018 draft that makes it possible for us. There will be several clubs like GC, Bris and NM who would look favorably on trading down to get 2 or 3 great players instead of 1 elite player.
Rankine, Lukosius and Rozee as well as the WA lad Ian Hill are guys you could build a team around and we are in the position where we might be able to get the majority or all of them. On current rankings we would need picks around 2, 4, 10 and 12 but of course a lot can change in 12 months, and currently we have ours and Melbourne's firsts and Carlton's second. Looking at the realistic prospects for next year I would not be surprised to see Carlton low and us and Melbourne mid table. This would give us say picks 8, 9 and 10 (Sloane compo), 22 (Carlton's 2nd) and 2019 first. Added to this we have a few players who we could look to maximise their value and trade now. I know it's risky to trade champions but I honestly believe that we could loose Talia, Sloane, JJ, Atkins and Kelly without costing us too much pain, and the potential upside would be huge. The other potential bonus of doing this is you would free up over 2 million of salary cap space, which I would love to see us use to throw a ridiculous offer at McGovern Senior, who is an absolute star. Much better player than Lever all round IMO.

In summary our potential assets would be:
Picks 8, 9, 10, 22 and 2019 first
Talia, JJ, Atkins and Kelly

Our potential in's would be:
Rankine, Lukosius, Hill, Rozee and McGovern

Our potential starting side in 2019 would then be

Brown Hartigan Laird
Keath McGovern Smith
Milera Gibbs Hill
Lynch McGovern Lukosius
Betts Walker Rankine

Jacobs M Crouch B Crouch

Doedee, Seedsman, Knight, Greenwood, Rozee, Gallucci

This might all seem fanciful, and would depend on a lot of factors working our way obviously, but that side looks so good that I would love to see us at least implement a plan to try and achieve it.
Best post ever . I agree players like Talia who is 26 next year is the type you trade as he would appeal to clubs whom need defenders back in his home state . If we lose Sloane we will be out of our premiership window however we could rejuvenate our list pretty quickly.

Bicks said:
Standing vertical jump
Aiden Bonar - 89cm
Kyron Hayden - 82cm
Mitch Crowden - 81cm
Ben Paton - 80cm
Harrison Jones - 79cm
Jordan Houlahan - 77cm
Jordan Johnston - 75cm
Jack Petruccelle - 74cm
Noah Balta - 74cm
Adam Sambono - 73cm
Hayden McLean - 73cm

Running vertical jump
Kyron Hayden - 103cm
Ben Paton - 99cm
Ryley Stoddart - 96cm
Kane Farrell - 95cm
Jordan Houlahan - 95cm
Hayden McLean - 92cm
Mitch Crowden - 91cm
Noah Balta - 89cm
Harrison Jones - 88cm
Oscar Allen - 88cm
Tom McCartin - 88cm
Matthew Day - 87cm
Nathan Kreuger - 87cm
Kyron Hayden stands out . 21 cm differential
Ben Paton 19cm differential

(Log in to remove this ad.)

op-1.jpg

We need a key forward next year, now (unless Fogarty develops into a key forward, but think he’ll go down the 3rd tall/midfielder route)

Lukosius the dream, but I can only see that happening if Sloane leaves

We need a key forward next year, now (unless Fogarty develops into a key forward, but think he’ll go down the 3rd tall/midfielder route)

Lukosius the dream, but I can only see that happening if Sloane leaves
Even if Sloane leaves, we'll only get the pick after ours.

If we're able to match an interstate offer, he'd stay. So if he goes, it must be for a massive deal.

I am a massive gee for Rankine, and feel he is the best talent in the draft so far, but the thing about the 2018 draft is that there is so many good kids that its not without some possibility that some leapfrog him next year.
Recuiters were saying that if the draft pools of 2017 and 18 were combined the top 6 would be 2018 kids.
You have the King twins who Max is one of the best KPFs to come through the draft in a ling time. Keys always cost more than mids so if he has a big 2018 he could leap frog Izak. His brother Ben has been played in defence but has the same physical attributes as Max so he could also leap frog Izak. Then you have Jack who could go ahead of Izak if he has a big 2018.
Outside of those you have the best WA talent in Hill would could be anything, Thomas from Tasmania is the best young kid to come out of there in a long time (Norf academy player). This is without even talking about any TAC cup mids, or QLD or NSW kids.
Every first round pick next year should be a gun.

This is Knightmares top 20 prospects so far for 2018. Not in order of talent.

Thomas Berry
Younger brother of Brisbane's Jarrod. Strong contested ball-winner with impressive pace and agility. Dodges and weaves through traffic easily like it is second nature. Among Greater Western Victoria's best players in eight of his 11 games.

Nick Blakey
Son of John Blakey. Eligible to be selected by North Melbourne or Brisbane as a father-son selection or Sydney as an Academy selection. Blakey is a tall, athletic utility at 194cm who likely develops into a key forward. Starred for Sydney during division two of the Under-18 Championships.

Jack Bytel
Arguably the most advanced stoppage player in the 2018 draft crop. Bytel averaged an impressive 28 disposals, 14 contested possessions, seven clearances and six tackles per game. He is also capable forward of centre, using his body effectively in the contest and also averaging close to one goal per game.

Jye Caldwell
A skilful midfielder who uses the ball effectively on both sides. Highly productive through the midfield and effective at stoppages. Also able to push forward and hit the scoreboard. Caldwell was named Victoria Country's Under-16 MVP.

Zane Barzen
Athletic medium forward with agility and a good leap. Reads the ball in flight effectively and possesses very sticky hands overhead. He is a very dangerous target inside 50m and is also able to push back and intercept.

Jackson Hately
Productive midfielder who averaged 19.5 disposals for South Australia during the Under-18 Championships. Has the versatility to also play forward or back. He is a strong overhead mark and possesses clean skills, vision and is a sound decision maker under pressure.

Ian Hill
Starred for Western Australia during the Under-18 Championships with his acceleration, agility, evasiveness, one-touch ground-ball winning and skills humbling opponents. He finds plenty of the football averaging 23 disposals in the WAFL Colts and is a high-impact-per-possession player.

Tom Joyce
High production midfielder who is an effective contested ball-winner despite a light frame. Was a driving force for Western Australia during the Under-18 Championships averaging 21 disposals per match.

Ben King
Key defender standing at 201cm. Strong contested mark, averaging one per game in the TAC Cup. Stood tall in final against Oakleigh with 10 marks (four contested). Also has the capacity to play forward.

Max King
Imposing key forward at 201cm. Very difficult at his height to defend with his long arms. He takes front position in marking contests and often draws free kicks. He's a strong overhead mark, regularly taking it at the highest point. His leap, leading patterns and mobility also are impressive. Four goals against Oakleigh including six marks (four contested) an early season highlight.

Jack Lukosius
The most exciting key forward in recent memory. Lukosius is a Nick Riewoldt clone who simply cannot be defended. If you stay back and don't chase him up the field, he will endlessly take marks up the field. If you chase him up the field, he will push forward and punish you. A simply special player who will be in the pick one conversation in 2018. Four goals on SANFL League debut in a final a sign of things to come.

Dillon O'Reilly
Key forward who kicked 46 goals from 17 WAFL Colts games and also received a couple of WAFL League opportunities at season's end. A damaging forward who is effective both on the lead and as a contested marking target forward of centre. Had an impressive season coming off limited preparation and is expected to take the next step in 2018.

Izak Rankine
Avoids and manoeuvres around players smoothly with rare evasiveness, agility, acceleration, change of direction and anticipation. He is freakish with his ground ball pickups, possesses reliable skills under pressure and also hits the scoreboard in bunches. His production is strong and he is a proven contested ball winner. Complete package and the early front-runner for the No. 1 selection in 2018 after 10 exciting SANFL League matches.

Connor Rozee
Highly skilled forward and midfielder who executes effectively by foot, has the vision to spot up targets inside 50m and finishes effectively around goal. Strong mark overhead with sticky hands. Freakish at ground level with his pickups, acceleration and change of direction. His commitment to pressuring the ball carrier and laying tackles in the front half is also first rate.

Bailey Scott
Son of Robert Scott and eligible as a father-son selection for Geelong and North Melbourne. Also eligible as an academy prospect for Gold Coast. Utility who can win the ball through the midfield, provide a target up front and hit the scoreboard or provide drive off half-back.

Curtis Taylor
Classy midfielder/forward who lowers his eyes and brings teammates into the game. Possesses hurt factor with ball in hand with his agility and movement through traffic a highlight. He's also a strong mark overhead, averaging one goal per game.

Tarryn Thomas
Highly touted Tasmanian who is part of the North Melbourne Next Generation Academy. Lightly bodied but explosive line-breaker who takes on the game at every opportunity. Shows a strong commitment to pressuring the ball carrier and laying tackles.

Sam Walsh
Averaging 29 disposals for Geelong Falcons in the TAC Cup and 20.5 for Victoria Country through the Under-18 Championships, Walsh is arguably the most prolific midfielder in the 2018 draft class. Able to play inside or outside, he has strong contested ball-winning capabilities and also breaks the lines on the outside.

Rhylee West
Son of Scott, eligible as a Western Bulldogs father-son prospect. Possesses a strong body already and is a good contested ball-winner through the midfield. A reliable ball user and also able to push forward.

Bailey Williams
High-leaping ruckman who elevates so high at each ruck contest that you think he is taking a specie. Also a dangerous marking target up forward with the way he attacks the ball in flight. Williams kicked 15 goals from 17 TAC Cup games.

Just for shits and giggles what do people think a way too early look at the top 10 will look like next year right now? (Obviously before trade week).

For me its;
1) GCS
2) CARL
3) NM
4) FREO
5) BRIS
6) WCE
7) WBD
8) GEEL (Oh yeah, i'm calling the slide now)
9) ST KILDA
10) COLL

It annoys me that I can't slip the Demons onto that list, but I just don't see it happening.

Cal Twomey's early top 10 prospects.

Jack Lukosius

Key forward
194cm/82kg
Woodville-West Torrens/South Australia
9/8/2000

Lukosius showed why many consider him the early favourite to be next year's No.1 pick when he kicked four goals in his SANFL debut for Woodville-West Torrens in a preliminary final earlier this year. It was a performance that showed why so many are excited about him: he's tall, athletic, smart on the lead and a beautiful, long kick. He also had a standout game for South Australia against the Allies during the under-18 carnival.

Sam Walsh
Midfielder
182cm/70kg
Geelong Falcons/Vic Country
2/7/2000

The Geelong Falcons prospect looks like one of the leading midfielders in his crop. He has a good mix of winning his own disposals and getting them out for his team, but is also nice when in flight and taking the game on with some sharp running. He pushes forward to kick goals, is a nice user of the ball and with some extra muscle on his frame will be hard to stop. Starred for the Falcons on their way to the TAC Cup flag.

Ben King
Key forward/defender
201cm/79kg
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
7/7/2000

King and his twin brother Max will create plenty of headlines next year as two of the highly touted big men in an exciting crop. Ben has played predominantly as a defender so far in his junior career, where he has shown good athleticism and rebound. But when his brother went down with injury this year, King switched forward and also kicked a couple of bags there so can comfortably play at both ends.

Max King
Key forward/defender
201cm/82kg
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
7/7/2000

Max King has played mainly in the forward line and occasionally as a ruckman so far, and impressed for the Dragons at times throughout his bottom-age season. He has a good turn of pace for a player his size and is able to get around the ground with a strong endurance base and aerobic capacity. His marking is also top-end, having shown he can take grabs on the lead or in a pack situation.

Izak Rankine
Half-forward/midfielder
178cm/74kg
West Adelaide/South Australia
23/4/2000

Already looks a star and a likely early pick after a brilliant campaign as a 17-year-old this year. Rankine is a quick, classy and talented half-forward who also plays through the midfield. He lights up games with his exquisite skills and is ultra-dangerous around goal. He was named the best player for the under-17 NAB AFL All Stars game on Grand Final eve this season and looks a jet already.

Nick Blakey
Midfielder/forward
194cm/75kg
Swans academy/NSW-ACT
27/2/2000

Three clubs will fight for Blakey's services next year, with the midfielder able to join North Melbourne and the Brisbane Lions as a father-son prospect (his father John played with the Roos and Fitzroy) and also the Swans as an academy pick. Sydney appears the early favourite, but Blakey will be hoping for more luck with injury next year after a back concern ended his 2017 campaign early. At his height, Blakey is considered a utility who can be used anywhere.

Tarryn Thomas
Midfielder
189cm/71kg
North Launceston/Tasmania
25/3/2000

Thomas has been on the radar for a couple of years. His 2016 season was particularly special, when he was named Tasmania's best player in its under-18 side despite not being draft eligible for two more years. The indigenous prospect has good skills and a turn of pace, and rarely fumbles when under pressure. North Melbourne will get access to Thomas under the Next Generation Academy program.

Ian Hill
Half-forward/midfielder
174cm/63kg
Perth/Western Australia
9/2/2000

Hill was ultra-exciting at stages throughout Western Australia's under-18 carnival earlier this year, lighting games up with his run and dash. Hill is the type of player to take the game on and he has the foot skills to match up with that and make the most of his damaging and line-breaking displays.

Isaac Quaynor
Half-back
180cm/77kg
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
15/1/2000

Quaynor has been something of a surprise packet as a bottom-ager, blossoming into a damaging, creative and smart half-back for the Oakleigh Chargers late in the TAC Cup season. He reads the game well from there and has nice skills to offer some rebound. Collingwood has Quaynor in its Next Generation Academy.

Curtis Taylor
Midfielder
186cm/74cm
Calder Cannons/Vic Metro
6/4/2000

Taylor has some real class and that comes through in the way he plays through the midfield. He's a good kick, and he also uses his solid height to take some marks around the ground. Was one of seven players who were added to the level two NAB AFL Academy squad for 2017/18, showing he made an impression as a bottom-ager and is one to look for next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back