Oppo Camp Other Games Rolling Thread 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

A tackle that the NFL has banned after it "analysed more than 20,000 tackles over the past two seasons and determined that this specific technique causes lower extremity injuries at a rate 20 times higher than other tackles, resulting in an unacceptable risk to player health and safety."

Cheers. Hadn't seen that before. You'd hope there was no malice in it, but it's something they'd want to stop pretty quickly.

Cheers. Hadn't seen that before. You'd hope there was no malice in it, but it's something they'd want to stop pretty quickly.

Unintended consequences of making players petrified of throwing a player's upper body into the ground..he's tried to ensure that the lower body goes down first. As someone who's suffered a double broken leg (tib/fib) it made me wince as I saw it.

It's a terrible look but it's getting bloody hard for players when their career and club success relies on them executing stand-up tackles as the only truly safe option ,as it often leads to turnover.

Unintended consequences of making players petrified of throwing a player's upper body into the ground..he's tried to ensure that the lower body goes down first. As someone who's suffered a double broken leg (tib/fib) it made me wince as I saw it.

It's a terrible look but it's getting bloody hard for players when their career and club success relies on them executing stand-up tackles as the only truly safe option ,as it often leads to turnover.
And the AFL keep the game running and give players an eternity whilst being tackled to look around and choose whether or not to dispose of the ball.

There are a couple of more important things than you knee that you could have hurt, think yourself lucky.
Disclaimer: Below is a litle bit graphic, so be wary if you are easily put off

Bit off topic, but I knew a bloke when I was a lot younger who tried to take a short cut over a barb wire fence while drunk. Long story short, next morning woke up in extreme pain and realised needed a heap of stitches to repair the old ball bag.

Thread about it now on the main board.

And the AFL keep the game running and give players an eternity whilst being tackled to look around and choose whether or not to dispose of the ball.
years ago i was interested in the afl exploring the concept of 'team HTB (prior)'.

once your team takes clean & clear possession and ball is out of immediate congestion, any subsequent tackle in that chain that results in incorrect or non-disposal (regardless of prior, since the team has already taken its prior) results in HTB decision.

reckon it'd result in free'r play and certainly way less ball-ups, since players might opt to tap the ball on, instead of always taking possession and simply absorbing the tackle (if they're likely to be tackled instantaneously & team prior has already been taken)

would undoubtedly need some work / bedding in to define what 'clean & clear possession and out of immediate congestion' looks like but always thought it could be useful for the game.

Disclaimer: Below is a litle bit graphic, so be wary if you are easily put off

Bit off topic, but I knew a bloke when I was a lot younger who tried to take a short cut over a barb wire fence while drunk. Long story short, next morning woke up in extreme pain and realised needed a heap of stitches to repair the old ball bag.
Wayne ‘Buck’ Shelford’s toughness is the stuff of legend for any New Zealand rugby fan in the 1980s, and now a whole new audience is being introduced to one of his most mythical moments.
A recent post on the All Blacks Tik Tok account which recounts a harrowing injury Shelford received against France in 1986 has gone viral on the platform with more than 1.6 million views in under 24 hours.
In the viral post, Shelford recalls how he lost three teeth after getting stuck at the bottom of a ruck but continued to play on. If that wasn’t bad enough, users on Tik Tok were shocked to learn what happened next.
“About 10 minutes into the second half, I got kicked in the nuts. And man did it hurt. I felt nothing of it and continued playing,” Shelford said.
The All Blacks suffered a rare 16-3 loss to France in Nantes that day, and Shelford continued to describe the mood in the dressing room.
“It is very morbid, very quiet after a loss,” Shelford said. “I had to get dressed, I stood up and pulled my strides down and one of the guys from across the room said ‘holy s**t, look at that!’, and one of my testicles had been ripped out of the scrotum and it was hanging between my legs.
“I went upstairs into a medical room and had it tidied up and put back together. These things do happen and you’ve just got to play on,” Shelford concluded.

Wayne ‘Buck’ Shelford’s toughness is the stuff of legend for any New Zealand rugby fan in the 1980s, and now a whole new audience is being introduced to one of his most mythical moments.
A recent post on the All Blacks Tik Tok account which recounts a harrowing injury Shelford received against France in 1986 has gone viral on the platform with more than 1.6 million views in under 24 hours.
In the viral post, Shelford recalls how he lost three teeth after getting stuck at the bottom of a ruck but continued to play on. If that wasn’t bad enough, users on Tik Tok were shocked to learn what happened next.
“About 10 minutes into the second half, I got kicked in the nuts. And man did it hurt. I felt nothing of it and continued playing,” Shelford said.
The All Blacks suffered a rare 16-3 loss to France in Nantes that day, and Shelford continued to describe the mood in the dressing room.
“It is very morbid, very quiet after a loss,” Shelford said. “I had to get dressed, I stood up and pulled my strides down and one of the guys from across the room said ‘holy s**t, look at that!’, and one of my testicles had been ripped out of the scrotum and it was hanging between my legs.
“I went upstairs into a medical room and had it tidied up and put back together. These things do happen and you’ve just got to play on,” Shelford concluded.
Those guys are gladiators. I went to a rugby game once and you could here their bodies smack against each other everytime there was a tackle. NRL is same

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the much better way to address it for me. Be sterner on having to dispose of it quickly when tackled, and there won't be quite as many mini wrestling matches

Probably too much to ask for the Blues & Suns to draw avoiding either overtaking us on the ladder?

Goes without saying if I had to choose one winner, it would be Suns...

Carlton will be in front of us by the end of this game if this continues. GC look 3 steps behind.
I can still remember the anger I felt towards Suns last year when they were appalling against the Blues.

It started the Blues winning run. Suns were woeful & got smashed in the middle.

The 50m penalty for the man on the mark against Gold Coast ffs, it’s like he wants him to be mm perfect on the correct position where the Carlton player marked the ball.

The 50m penalty for the man on the mark against Gold Coast ffs, it’s like he wants him to be mm perfect on the correct position where the Carlton player marked the ball.

Did you see the one last night where the umpire demanded Sidey stand on the line. And they want players to be nice to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back